Public Health England is reviewing the dietary advice conveyed in the "eatwell plate" -

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
For anyone who missed it the R4 Food Programme on The Eatwell Guide is being repeated this afternoon on Radio 4 at 3.30 pm.
Great info, thanks. Can catch that on my internet radio :)

Reactions: Prem51

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Yes you should be able to - search for BBC Radio 4
Thanks bulkbiker. It's already on my 'favourites list', along with Radio Union Jack, BBC 1 and more :) So much better than MW in the olden days.

dipsydo

Listened to this programme this afternoon . As people had said all going well until got to professor Levy who seemed to take the view there are no evidence as regards low carb. In fact he referred to fads so think he is unlikely to change his view anytime soon I think.

I found interesting was that the “reversed” diabetic was one of a number of people giving evidence to a parliamentary committee so maybe if MPs take the deficiencies of Eatwell plate on board maybe there will be a rethink.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bulkbiker. It's already on my 'favourites list', along with Radio Union Jack, BBC 1 and more :) So much better than MW in the olden days.
Did you try and access iplayer radio? if you can get it you can listen whenever you like rather than have to listen "live"

D

Deleted member 308541

Yes you should be able to - search for BBC Radio 4. You might even be able to get iplayer radio in Europe as well although I know you can;t get th TV.
Try this link
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio
Thanks for the links @bulkbiker, I have just installed iplayer radio on my mobile.
4F2mf.gif

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It wasn't me that brought the BBC Radio 4 programme on the Eatwell Plate to everyone's attention. It was @Prem51 . My original post is over 3 years old!!!
Oops!!! I'm so sorry, @Bluetit1802 Thanks for pointing it out. Apologies everyone

@Prem51
Please accept my apologies. Totally my mistake, obviously not paying attention :)
So, Prem51, thank you so much for bringing this program to our/my attention. I feel it was definitely worth listening to :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Energize, no problem. One of the first things I do each morning after taking my fbg is to check the online Radio 4 schedule.
I have it on most of the day until 6pm, and listen to it on my personal radio when I'm out, so I know if there is anything of particular interest to me coming up.

Reactions: Energize

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The equation about dietary and general health includes influences of Big Food, distribution and availability of food and food choices made by the population.
With dedicated, researched-backed and elimination of vested interest lobbying, the UK Government (in concert with European counterparts) could take on Big Food. Progressive and unfettered lowering of sugar levels in food, soft drinks, and NOT increasing artificially sweetened foods instead, etc are possible in addition to the work that Governments have done to add iodine, folate etc to foods, (if they have the power to do that they have no excuse to not do more for the population's health).
It might sound like the UK Govt (and others) becoming more of a nanny state, but is that not what Big Food is doing. at present?
Should Big Food be putting sugar on the dummies we suck so that we clamour for more or do we wish our representatives to tell them to bug off with their propaganda, and make/market/provide/serve far healthier food ? Big Food is lazy and all for convenient profit.
Local community groups boycotting local food supplies who distribute the sugary, unhealthy stuff are another potential force.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery is offering a modified Eatwell Plate of a half and two quarters. They advocate reduced carbs. The important issue is that the NHS proper is now talking about food.

Reactions: kokhongw

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Did you try and access iplayer radio? if you can get it you can listen whenever you like rather than have to listen "live"

Yes I did, and I must say they do a really good android app. Five thumbs up. It's elegant, intuitive and it works! As for the programme itself I'm glad to hear that at least one hospital is working towards going completely sugar free.
I worked for the NHS in the beginning of the 80es, and even young non-diabetic I could see that the food was not too healthy for the cancer patients I worked with or for the staff. I gained quite a bit of weight and stress fractured my foot from walking the approx. 9 miles a day that nurses do. I often wondered why there was no focus on a healthy diet, so I'm glad to see that and the concept of 'healthy' could be changing. Hospitals in Denmark are no better, I learned when I was admitted 3 years ago.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the problem with the NHS not advocating low carb is the fat issue. Lower carbs must mean some additional fats, and we all know that fat gives us heart attacks? Don't we? Well, the NHS thinks that. The dietary fat issue needs addressing, and once that is addressed, low carb will become more acceptable to the powers that be.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the problem with the NHS not advocating low carb is the fat issue. Lower carbs must mean some additional fats, and we all know that fat gives us heart attacks? Don't we? Well, the NHS thinks that. The dietary fat issue needs addressing, and once that is addressed, low carb will become more acceptable to the powers that be.
And, of course, Prof. Levy of NHE who said that if you eat low carb your brain stops.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
And, of course, Prof. Levy of NHE who said that if you eat low carb your brain stops.
Really, who's brain has stopped and how have Eskimo's survived for centuries with supposedly 'stopped brains'?

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Amazingly my practice nurse suggested I reduce my carb intake at my last diabetic review. Have cut down to about 50g of carb per day, plus increased time on the excercise bike.

Result? I have lost 3 kg in a month and my insulin intake has halved.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My surgery is offering a modified Eatwell Plate of a half and two quarters. They advocate reduced carbs. The important issue is that the NHS proper is now talking about food.

So.. 3 burgers? :p

I think a big issue with the Eatwell guidance, and for any replacement is putting it into context. Especially for people who don't cook. It's one thing to say 'Eat Nuts!', it's another to say.. 'Try this delicious, healthy dish that includes nuts'. So rather than showing pics of healthy foods around a plate, provide links to recipes that include those ingredients.

Having some form of website where we could enter an ingredient and it'd spit out healthy meal ideas would be really handy. And could solve a puzzle I'd had. So I bought some sardines because they're healthy.. Then struggled with things to use them in because previously it's been mashed on toast.. But again, lettuce wraps jumped to the rescue :)