Pulled my head out of the sand....AGAIN

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m finding Sainsbury’s own label 85% is very good and each bar is split into 6 small wrapped bars with about 2g carbs in each. Very smooth!
This is in fact 4.2g per mini bar, 2.6g of which is sugar.
Still reasonable but not as low as you think.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My weakness is Montezumas Absolute Black - 100% cocoa, 8g carbs per 100 gram bar and so tasty!
It was whispered that I once did half a bar....who spread that.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Like @Mbaker and @HSSS , my normal dessert is two squares of dark chocolate. I used to have the Raspberry one from Lidl*, which was about 70%. I'm now trying the 81% version. It's quite strong but I find a tiny sip of Bourbon, then a bite of choccy helps it go down. ;)

*JD Gross Ecuador and Arriba

Boss dessert!!

Reactions: LindsayJane

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'm sorry you're going through this as some other people have said don't be too hard on yourself. However I would find a way to rebuild your relationship with diabetes and food. As with all diabetics, it is tiring because it does need constant attention and some times life messes with our blood sugars. I did do low carb but not strictly and I can vouch for it because I didn't need to take as much insulin. I'm not against low carb however we could argue that we do need some carbohydrates to function, like exercising because we need some energy. I was wondering if you can put the word 'calories' to one side, I've ignored those numbers because it drives me crazy. it's about your mentality when it comes to food. You can portion your food, weigh it and still be within your weight goal, as long as you're feeding your body and not starving it from good nutrients. Treat yourself maybe once a week because you did well for the other 6 days. I know some people could agree with weight gain is not because of what we eat, it's because we are exceeding our calories and carbs isn't the enemy. but limiting yourself to certain amount of calories seems off putting and discouraging. As a result we end up binging.

Theres an instagrammer called workweeklunch, she just meal plans and she doesn't count calories - it is based on Intuitive Eating. She has helped me ignore the "diet craze", I know low carb works for people and I'd give them the biggest hug but I love food too much. It's a way to discipline yourself as well.
I apologise if it doesn't sound helpful

Reactions: Nicel

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amateur. A bacon sandwich is a packet of bacon sandwiched between two packets of bacon. Box of eggs as a side.
What a great idea! I'm thinking of having scrambled eggs with Tabasco sauce and ham for dinner tonight while the wife chaws down on her salmon and rice...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm experiment with sips of cream , coffee , JD, THEN bite the chocolate. Swirl, then swallow in one.
A mouth-Baileys!

Why not just make some LC Baileys. There are many, many recipes out there. I know our friend @maglil55 took one for the team last Christmas to perfect this.

(Personally, I find Bailey's to be totally gopping, but that's just me.)

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Gopping??
You were either in the Marines, or you've got teenagers! ;)