Pumps

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive been advised to search out information on the pumps frequently issued by Addenbrookes hospital. Im still awaiting funding. Anyone have pros and cons of Animas, Medtronic or Roche pumps?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try a search here for each pump as we've had a number of similar threads with good points made :)

You might also find Youtube useful to see the actual pumps in action.

I have an Animas Vibe and love it :) Simple, robust and compatible with Dexcom CGM.

JimC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just got my pump today so give it a few weeks I can tell you more about the Roche accu-chek insight!

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
You could also download the manuals and have a read through them. Thats what i did but really needn't have as i had no choice but that said if i did i would have had to flip a coin between the Accu-Chek Insight and the Medtronic 640G. I ws given the Medtronic 640G.

I haven't used any other pumps so can't give a fair comparison but the 640G is very easy to navigate through.

Regards
Martin

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im on quite alot of insulin so the educator at Addenbrookes said I might be better going for one that holds a lot more in the pump

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Im on quite alot of insulin so the educator at Addenbrookes said I might be better going for one that holds a lot more in the pump
Then you need the Medtronic pump.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does the manufacturer provide batteries ? Is there a blood glucose (finger prick) meter that goes with the medtronic?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Depends more on you... And your life style. If you don't mind taking a pump off to bolus for food then the 640g may be ok. If you want one that is discreet and you se a remote to do pretty much everything, then the Roche is good.

Also depends upon your size as currently Roche only have flexi cannulas for their insight. They will be bringing out a CGM to talk to the insight in the near future.

The 640g has a CGM that will talk to it if you think you may like a CGM sooner rather than later and if you can self fund or are an an exceptional individual.

If you swim then you may want to look at waterproof of pumps.

There is also Omnipod that Addenbrookes do, but I believe they too only have flex cannulas.

It largely depends on your lifestyle.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The 640g you have to change the whole cartridge and tube every two days. The insight, the cartridge is about the same small side but is glass and is quicker to swap over and the tube lasts 6 days.

The insight has clear tubing the 640g has blue tubing for the steel sets.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Batteries are provided for all pumps.

Addenbrookes don't do the Dana pump as the pump users that did have the Dana were apparently having battery failure without warning and only Dana batteries could be used in their pump.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When you say the tube lasts 6 days for the insight does that include the cannula?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It would be flex cannulas currently for insight so these still need to be changed every 3 days.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Also depends upon your size as currently Roche only have flexi cannulas for their insight. They will be bringing out a CGM to talk to the insight in the near future.
Not that near. They took great pains to make very clear that the Insight CGM shown at EASD2016 will not talk to the current Insight pump. You will be waiting for the next gen Insight (whether that's pump or handset) before it has fully integrated CGM.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The 640g you have to change the whole cartridge and tube every two days. The insight, the cartridge is about the same small side but is glass and is quicker to swap over and the tube lasts 6 days.

The insight has clear tubing the 640g has blue tubing for the steel sets.
No, you don't. Medtronic recommend that you change the Reservoir, Tube and Set every three days because it makes them more money. Research done using the medtronic reservoirs showed that you could get ten days use out of them with the insulin remaining stable.

Most users of the 640 don't change their cannula more regularly than every 3 days and their tube and reservoir less frequently (reservoir dependent on insulin use). I change my reservoir every 6-7 days and the tube every 14 days as I've found Novorapid causes no blockage issues.

In relation to cannulas, regardless of the make, there is research that shows once you get beyond 3 days, insulin absorption tends to get worse, so changing more regularly is recommended. I'll have to try and find it.

Whilst pump manufacturers provide batteries for pumps, they also charge the NHS extortionate amounts of money for them. A pack of Lithium AA batteries costs £5 from Sainsbury's, however the charge to the NHS for the Energizer Alkaline batteries that most pump providers give you (because they aren't allowed to send Lithium batteries through the post) is around £11 per pack. As a result, I choose to fund batteries myself. I can cope with paying £5 every 4 months.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Aaah. Tim.. I was jst going by what I heard from chap at Accuchek ref the CGM talking to the Insight. He didn't mention the pump would be a newer version. I was told early 2017. But guess that goes right up to end ofJune.

As a newbie to pumps... I was putting over the official version..we all gain confidence and change things but, for a new pumper to talk to a consultant they need to know official guidelines..
I was told ev 2 days for the steel cannulas, tubes and cartridges when I did my training in August...I wouldn't wish anybody to extend usage or think they can outside of the guidelines when a newbie is trying to weigh up pro's n cons...

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So when companies provide batteries for blood glucose meters are they claiming money back from nhs too? I didnt realise they made money from the batteries provided.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will probably go with the Medtronic because of the insulin volume as I'm on quite a lot at the moment

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@donnellysdogs, the steel cannulas come with a two day change recommendation, the teflon with three. I know many people do three on the steels, so that's fair.

My conversations with the DSN about use went along the lines of "we have to tell you what the company recommends, but what you do at home is your business!"

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know Tim, but just concerned that people know what the standard is from Companies... Especially if you get occlusions etc.. They want to know you are changing etc as and when the rule book states..

What we do at home may well vary...

JimC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm finding the insight quite good so far! It has lowered my insulin intake compared to what I had when using the pen devices! I know it's still early days for me yet but for the dawn phenomenon it has improved so far too! As said the insulin carts are small and a cart lasts about 2 days so the infusion set is changed when you change the cart and cannula 3-4 days! The rep did say we may as well change the cannula every time we change the giving set.

Reactions: Sweetheart66