Pundits Chocolate

Snichy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im a couple of weeks into my new LCHF diet, and seriously missing chocolate! :)

Has anyone heard of or tried Pundits chocolate? Its still not great (19g carbs per 100g) but not as bad as the "real thing" and was wondering if anyone had tried it or if there are any hidden drawbacks to having it as a treat every now and then?

https://pundits.co.uk/

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow expensive! :woot: Although I can't see how big these bars are? I just eat Tesco 85% chocolate now, £1 for a 100g bar, 2 squares is 4.4g of carbohydrate, I just have 1 or 2 squares after dinner. They are large squares, around an inch square. I didn't used to like high percentage dark chocolate but since going low carb my tastes have changed and I really like it now :hungry:

Reactions: TooSweetForMe

Snichy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow expensive! :woot: Although I can't see how big these bars are? I just eat Tesco 85% chocolate now, £1 for a 100g bar, 2 squares is 4.4g of carbohydrate, I just have 1 or 2 squares after dinner. They are large squares, around an inch square. I didn't used to like high percentage dark chocolate but since going low carb my tastes have changed and I really like it now :hungry:

Yeah Ive started on that 85% dark chocolate too, but I do love creamy milk chocolate. Maybe Ill give Pundits a try as a special treat every Friday night!

Reactions: Rachox

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah Ive started on that 85% dark chocolate too, but I do love creamy milk chocolate. Maybe Ill give Pundits a try as a special treat every Friday night!

Let us know how it goes! I find I don't miss chocolate very much, and a square of 85% does me fine when I do get that sugar craving. Takes a bit of getting used to though, I'll admit

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have Montezuma's Absolute Black (Sainsbury) 100% Cocoa which has 8 g of carbs per 100 g ( < 0.5 g of sugars). The bar is 100 g and I have up to 1 row, so 1.8 g of carbs with my yogurt, berries and nuts.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
having been someone who practically lived on chocolate before my diagnosis (to the extent that friends' children used to hide their easter eggs from me), i find now to my surprise that i don't crave it at all - once i got used to not eating it, it was if my body went 'thank heavens she's finally stopped giving me all that stuff i really don't want' and i lost the taste for it - still strikes me as a very weird outcome, and one i would never have predicted in a million years.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a wimp.
I don't really enjoy the stuff that is more than about 74% cocoa solids, so all those 85%+ ones are wasted on me (or used for cooking...

But I love Lidl's and Aldi's and Lindt, and Asda used to do a fab one, but it wasn't there last time I looked, and Montezuma... bliss. Actually, it is probably safer to say that there are only a couple of 70%s that I don't like (Green and Blacks and Hotel Chocolat)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I had a bar of chocolate yesterday.

This to be exact http://www.caldey-island.co.uk/web/Chocolate_Bars_5_x_69g.htm

I bought a bar of that when we were on Caldey Island earlier this year (it was the milk version because I am very much a wimp when it comes to any plain dark chocolate). We watched it being made. I only had 2 small pieces, which my Libre said do not eat any more ever again. Mr. Blue got the rest. Happily, I have had zero cravings for chocolate since diagnosis.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im a couple of weeks into my new LCHF diet, and seriously missing chocolate! :)

Has anyone heard of or tried Pundits chocolate? Its still not great (19g carbs per 100g) but not as bad as the "real thing" and was wondering if anyone had tried it or if there are any hidden drawbacks to having it as a treat every now and then?

https://pundits.co.uk/
I've only looked at one of the bars and it was sweetened with erythritol and stevia, both of which should have no impact on your glucose levels, and they are fine and recommended for diabetic use. But in addition to looking at nutritional info it's always wise to check the actual ingredients carefully to see if there are any potential nasties lurking in any of the various flavours. And always use your meter to see if they have any impact on your glucose levels.

(As an aside - both stevia and real dark chocolate are claimed to have a positive impact on insulin resistance, so may have some benefits if included as part of our diabetic diets.:))

Robbity

VinnyCool

I've tried most no added or low sugar chocolates and I'm afraid they're all so different to normal chocolate.

I've tried Pundits chocolate too and so far its the best in terms of taste, ingredients and sugar/carb levels. Each square of the milk chocolate is 0.79g carbs and 0.45g sugars.
The dark is even lower.... the whole 100g bar has about 16g carbs and 2.7g sugars.

Their chocs dont raise my blood sugar and they actually taste soooooo good :hungry:

Glad I found them! :)

Reactions: lindijanice

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are hundreds of brands on the market that are low carb and cheaper. Try the lowcarbmegastore, Holland and Barret and any shop that sells stuff similar.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl has just changed their 81 percent chocolate, the old one was good but the new one is even better.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl has just changed their 81 percent chocolate, the old one was good but the new one is even better.
Oh yes..... Just discovered it - Arriba Equadorian - and it's yummy. I usually have a piece of the knock-your-socks-off Montezuma 100% or Lindt 99% as a choc fix now and again but the Lidl bar will be my Christmas treat.

Reactions: lindijanice

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes..... Just discovered it - Arriba Equadorian - and it's yummy. I usually have a piece of the knock-your-socks-off Montezuma 100% or Lindt 99% as a choc fix now and again but the Lidl bar will be my Christmas treat.
Yep. Double agree. Had a square just a few minutes ago, and told my dad all about it this evening.

Reactions: Sue192

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only problem is, it's getting hard to source. Only a few bars hidden behind some of the ordinary stuff. Similarly their sugar free mixers come in trays with the standard stuff, and always sell first, so you end up sifting amongst the unwanted soda water and the less popular full sugar stuff. This week I was on the third layer down playing jenga with the stack.

mayoburt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
20ad7ef8c30d439b34f45892cc85d45b.jpg
425781f1eae5f4c991ae8fc2ff6cef2b.jpg