Question about medication

a.marsh2973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabeties at the end of July. I was prescribed 40mg of gliclazide and metfromin twice a day. Which I have been 99% of the time.

I am now taking my blood and it's ranging from 4.0mmol to 6 mmol on average per day.

I don't have much sugar, I have oats and yoghurt for break and been having salads for lunch. And I have switched sweeteners and brown bread.

Given the drop in my sugar levels do reduce my medication or just and incorporate sugar back into my diet while I am on these meds?

I do a alot of driving for work and I scared to dealth about going hypno whilst on the road.

When I star my blood sugar was around 15 mmol

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think you need to talk to your diabetic nurse about this.
Personally, I'd prefer to lower meds rather than include more sugar.
If you can agree how best to reconcile the meds with the amount of carbs you are eating then maybe review what the oats and bread are doing to your blood sugar, as either of those would have sent my BS high in the first months.

Note that the usual healthy eating plate can be an issue as it is high in carbs, and T2s don't handle carbs well. Also, while advice about swapping from white to brown is fine for the general public and T1s, brown/wholemeal bread has about the same carbs as white,

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
@a.marsh2973 Yes as advised above, you really do need to discuss this with your DN and rather sharpish too

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I do a alot of driving for work and I scared to dealth about going hypno whilst on the road.
Hopefully you carry sugar and your meter with you at all times, specially when driving? Rules about driving licensing and gliclazide are a little vague, did your DN tell you whether you need to inform the DVLA that you are on a potentially hypo inducing med?

I would agree with the others that you should talk to your DN asap. Metformin on its own isn't supposed to cause hypos, so if they say you can drop the gliclazide that could relieve your anxiety about hypos.

And congrats on the drop in blood sugar.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said talk to your DN. You may be able to ditch the glicliazide - but may need to also drop the brown bread and oats in order to keep great numbers. The advantage is you’d then be without the risk of hypos And the need to test whilst driving

As you are currently on a hypoglycaemic medication (gliclizide) you need to be testing before and during driving to make sure you are safe- as insulin users would - as the responsibility to be safe on the roads is yours.

The need to ensure you are not hypo when driving applies to this type of medication whether you have to inform them about your diabetes/medication or not

Reactions: a.marsh2973