Type 2 Question about your diet for those with an HbA1c under 6%

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I'd be interested to hear if anyone can achieve a hba1c under 6 while eating a 'normal' amount of carbs
Hi I managed a "6" eating porridge circa 200 grams (ouch), typical lunch of either salmon, seabass/bream or mackerel on home made soda bread and 2 home made scones, with a dinner of moderate potatoes or basmati rice. This was all during my ignorant phase, before finding this site. In order to achieve the 6, I was on 2 x Metformin and over-worked out (burned muscle). The 6 was disappointing at the time as my fasting morning reading was usually 4's; this I equated to the carb spikes pushing up the A1C. I am now looking forward to my next HbA1C which will incorporate my low carb good fat period and removal of metformin, as I know my blood sugar is more stable throughout the day.

For me the higher carb, metformin and intensive workouts was not sustainable. The change to low carb and removal of metformin has lost me 3 kgs since August so far. Often my late afternoon blood sugars are in the 4's (this is usually with at least 1 workout in-between). Anyone reading this who is considering removing medication should only do so working in conjunction with there health professional (just to be honest I did not (but should of), I moved slowly from 2 x 500 mg metformin, to 1, then half tablets and finally none, and at each stage detailed testing to see how I was doing.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you should define "normal".
If normal is eat a sausage pizza, a pint of beer and a Pastiera, i don't know.
If "normal" is following a diet made by a dietician of the health centre, with a 45-55% carb intake, 25% fat and 25% proteins, yeah, one could achieve an hba1c under 6.
Sorry should have specified, I mean the recommended diet from HCPs

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I typically eat to 200-230g of carbs a day and my last HbA1c (a month or so ago) came in at 5.7%. I've adopted a grazing approach to eating, I.e little and often and it seems to work for me. I don't eat potatoes or root vegetables, but do eat apples, bananas, wholemeal bread, breakfast cereals, brown pasta and rice occasionally. I also eat tons of fresh leafy vegetables

In addition, I use a freestyle libre and only eat once my blood has started to drop. Doing this does require a bit of discipline but it has kept my blood sugar under control and my weight steady at 66kg so I'm happy to do it :)
That is interesting, thanks for the response

Reactions: Freema and phil1966

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Sorry should have specified, I mean the recommended diet from HCPs
there is in my case no real reccomendations. In my D review The otherwise nice practice nurse (new), mouthed the platitudes of the 2Eatwell plate despite my informing her that i ate controlled carb & "good" fats. she then recorded that:
Diabetic annual review. Goal achieved(None Set). Advice about blood glucose control.(Not discussed) Diabetes: practice programme.(Not discussed) Hypoglycaemic management discussed(said had mild hypos but dealt with). Advised to attend for retinal screening. Diabetes management plan given.(Not discussed) my comments in red.
At least "review" was carried out (unlike" interim review which was recorded as being done by HCA who had merely taken my "bloods")

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No I don't think its too fast. Many have done it even faster. That is the power of a low carb diet for a T2. Having said that I also take metformin and forxiga.

A quick drop in HbA1c does risk damage to the micro vascular system, that was my point....

phil976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diet and exercise
My HbA1c was doing well at 7.0 but dropped to 6.0 after 4-5 months had dropped to 6.0 and I had lost 15Kg. Trouble is, I missed the bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cakes, biscuits, ice-cream etc.etc.
Then I discovered Stevia and bought an ice cream maker (cream, milk, Stevia and vanilla = no carbs) and fromage blanc with cream and Stevia (just like the real thing).
Then we bought a grain mill and are experimenting with almond flour and hazelnut flour making low carb biscuits, pancakes and cakes. It is a bit hit and miss but the dog is please to get a share of my biscuits at tea time again.
Now if I can find a substitute for rice and pasta and a recipe for almond flour bread?

nemiabonny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
During all the 25 years and 3 months that I have been a type 2 diabetic, I have always been eating HCLF meals. Most everything that I eat is heart-healthy, natural, fresh (raw or cooked), unprocessed, and whole. I totally avoid snacks, hard and soft drinks, salty, oily, and sugary foods. I eat only twice a day, and run the stairs 4x/day, for a total time of 1 hour/day.

Why do I eat carby foods? Because that's what I have been eating even before I became diabetic. They are cheap, readily available, and the easiest to digest. I am very aware that they cause high blood sugar levels which I always get every day but they don't harm me. Why? Maybe because I exercise twice as many times as I eat. I have not had any hypo problems and diabetes complications.

Most of my past A1c's were between 5.2% and 6.3%. The one I had on October 3, 2016, was 5.8%.

Bonny Damocles
Male, 80 1/2 years old, 137 lbs., 5'7"
First 25-year untreated and complication-free type 2 diabetic
Not taking any pharma drugs for any health problems

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd be interested to hear if anyone can achieve a hba1c under 6 while eating a 'normal' amount of carbs
I am nearly there. My HbA1c went from 55 to 52 in 5 weeks while eating normal carbs but I increased my activity levels to an average 18000 steps a day up from 10000 steps a day. I think Dr Michael Mosley has written something about activity levels and blood sugars which is worth reading.

add19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am curious, about other people's food groups or diets look like? What do you typically eat?

I guess, I wonder if I am missing out on specific food groups and eating too much of others or maybe just curious.

My labs are mostly ok. A little low Vit D, calcium, and low red blood count which could be iron or b12 and folic acid (she didn't do further blood work cus it wasn't that below average). It came back great or average for all other vitamins and minerals. My blood work seems as expected to me 'cus I don't eat a lot of dairy or meat and I sun burn easily.

Anyway, I eat mostly fruit and veggies and try to eat beans or nuts or seeds for protein and rice or whole wheat bread for most of my minerals. I try to eat meat or eggs and cheese whenever I can, but it's not often or it's a couple bites and not my main course. I very rarely/almost never use butter or margarin, or cow milk or yogurt or sour cream etc. I dunno if it's perfect diet, but seems to work for me. My doctor says a multi vitamin should take care of being low on calcium and red blood cells either way. I've increased my leafy greens sense talking to her and lab work. And vitamin D 15,000 once per week should raise my Vit D. But I want to have numbers that are not diabetic or only pre diabetic if possible. My a1c was fine but always room to improve and stay healthy.

This was my diet on 10/9 and it's probably typical... Not the healthiest nor unhealthiest I eat but overall good average on my diet.
Breakfast
-smoothies and usually only fruit with coconut water
Lunch salad
- salad with spinach, black beans, few bites of chicken, and tomatoes
Dinner
-small bowl of 3 bean chili
-small salad
Snack
-few bites of fresh fruit

I just downloaded the app and I don't see where I choose a category for my post. I hope it goes to the correct tab. If not I'm sorry and I'll play with the app more.
Yep. I got the same issue. low on Vitamin D and am also mildly anemic. My doc told me if it gets worse I should see a GI. So far it’s stable. My mom told me there is high content of iron in liver and should include it in my diet. But it’s hard to find it in a regular store. I eat leafy greens such as: kale, spinach and broccoli. Reduced eating red meat. I eat nuts and cheese for snack. Moderate with beans ‘cause they’re starchy. I think per meal 20-40gm of fat(good fat) is Ok.
. Omega 3 is good and wild caught salmon is very rich in that(don’t like farm raised salmon). I like avocados and also eat berries. I find most other fruit sugary but eat them very moderately. I take Vitamin D 2000IU per day and seen significant change since I started taking it. I don’t eat rice nor whole wheat bread. My HAB1C dropped from 9% to 5.2 since I was diagnosed with diabetes. The last two results remained at 5.2. Stopped taking meds over three months ago.

Breakfast
Avocado smoothie blended with almonds kale cherry tomatoes and blue berries.
lunch
spinach, green papers, cheese, some meat, baby tomatoes, peanuts/almonds. dressed in olive oil and vinegar. Side dish, small turkey and chili beans soup.

dinner
mashed cauliflower or broccoli soup mixed with Brussels sprouts, garlic 1Tbs oil, 2 spoons of parmesan cheese, ground turkey. I like to spicy it with cayenne, curry, and other ingredients to spicy it up.

hope this helps

McGints11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am curious, about other people's food groups or diets look like? What do you typically eat?

I guess, I wonder if I am missing out on specific food groups and eating too much of others or maybe just curious.

My labs are mostly ok. A little low Vit D, calcium, and low red blood count which could be iron or b12 and folic acid (she didn't do further blood work cus it wasn't that below average). It came back great or average for all other vitamins and minerals. My blood work seems as expected to me 'cus I don't eat a lot of dairy or meat and I sun burn easily.

Anyway, I eat mostly fruit and veggies and try to eat beans or nuts or seeds for protein and rice or whole wheat bread for most of my minerals. I try to eat meat or eggs and cheese whenever I can, but it's not often or it's a couple bites and not my main course. I very rarely/almost never use butter or margarin, or cow milk or yogurt or sour cream etc. I dunno if it's perfect diet, but seems to work for me. My doctor says a multi vitamin should take care of being low on calcium and red blood cells either way. I've increased my leafy greens sense talking to her and lab work. And vitamin D 15,000 once per week should raise my Vit D. But I want to have numbers that are not diabetic or only pre diabetic if possible. My a1c was fine but always room to improve and stay healthy.

This was my diet on 10/9 and it's probably typical... Not the healthiest nor unhealthiest I eat but overall good average on my diet.
Breakfast
Lunch salad
Dinner
-small salad
Snack

I just downloaded the app and I don't see where I choose a category for my post. I hope it goes to the correct tab. If not I'm sorry and I'll play with the app more.
Hi,
I

Breakfast
Lunch salad
Dinner
-small salad
Snack

hi,

I am T2 and my last A1c was 6.1%. I do not drink alcohol. I do not exercise. I do not have any medication and I do not use insulin.
I did the LCHF program with this website and it was the best thing that I ever did.
I lost 14kgs to get within my BMI range and this is the important first step. To lose that weight, I ate no carbs for 5 weeks. Hard work, but it achieves the results.
I now eat 120 to 150gms of carbs per day, and this includes white bread, fruit and most vegetables. I do not eat rice, potatoes or pasta. I do not snack during the day, but I eat a meal every 3 hours. I use combinations of apple cider vinegar, guava tea and bitter melon tea to get and keep the BGLs down.
I usually test 2 hours after most meals (until I know what the outcome will be). Most of my 2 hour readings are under 7.0; many are under 6.0.

Hope this helps you.

Peter

Looking4someone2help

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone... I see a similar trends of a well balanced diet. I did my diabetic education class and we talked about food today. And the lady was saying 1 cup of pasta was 3 maybe 4 servings of carbs then she was talking about garlic bread. I was like what your saying and the pictures are not the same. The picture says if you want pasta you need to fill your plate half with salad then 1/4 pasta and 1/4 chicken and eat an apple. I don't eat pasta but a couple times per year but if I did it wouldn't be 1 cup cus I would still be hungry. I know I'm not perfect with my food. Sometimes I don't ear enough and other times too much. But it gets so confusing about what to eat.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A1c 5.9, last reading (up from 5.3 due to the stress of cancer treatment).

I eat fewer than 20 net carbs in any 2 hour period. I can stretch it to 25 most of the time by now - but mostly I don't. I target around 60 grams of protein, with the rest made up of fat.

I believe I'm on the verge of being able to eat without restriction, due to the blood sugar diet (my daily readings have typically ranged from 4.1 - 7.0. This is significantly lower than the higher calorie eating period following the first attempt on the BSD, aborted due to cancer treatment). After they have stayed in that range on a higher calorie diet for a month or so, I'll test to see whether I can tolerate more carbs in a sitting.