Question for Vibe Users

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm due to collect my new pump soon - an Animas vibe - and I was wondering how much stuff I'll be coming away with. I'm using public transport to get to the hospital and back home after so it'd be really helpful to have an idea of how big and heavy a box I'll be given.

My first pump came in a light little plastic briefcase and was no heavier than my shoulder bag, but I'm worried the Vibe will be in a much less portable box and I'll be struggling.

Any info would be very welcome :)

Reactions: 3 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used something that was a similar size to a bag for life. The stuff was in a cardboard box but I took it all out of that. If I remember rightly I got 3 months supply of everything, cannulars and the cartridges, the pump itself we wore when we left. A big a4 instruction manual and I think that was it. I love my vibe! (My first ever pump.)

Reactions: 5 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cool - thank you :) That's extremely helpful as I can visualise that well.

I'm glad you like your Vibe. I spent ages debating which pump to have to replace my old one. This will only be the second model of pump I've ever had. I was so pleased with my old one I kept the same model for 11 years!

Many thanks again :)

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used a couple of bag for life bags. I got a 3 months supply also but I took most stuff out the boxes to help it fit better and I was wearing the pump when I left so that wasn't a problem I also got an a4 booklet in a plastic case. The biggest item their was was a 5 ltr sharps bin. It's defiantly possible to carry it on public transport as that's what I did but I did have a friend with me which was a big help. If you don't think you can carry it all you could ask your hospital to look after some of the stuff until you can come back and pick it up at a later date. The vibe is my first pump and I love it, hope you enjoy yours just as much! :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm due to collect my new pump soon - an Animas vibe - and I was wondering how much stuff I'll be coming away with. I'm using public transport to get to the hospital and back home after so it'd be really helpful to have an idea of how big and heavy a box I'll be given.

My first pump came in a light little plastic briefcase and was no heavier than my shoulder bag, but I'm worried the Vibe will be in a much less portable box and I'll be struggling.

Any info would be very welcome :)
The pump box measure 9 1/2 inches by 15 inches and does have a carrying handle on it.
As to what supplies you bring away with you, best thing to do is ring your DSN and ask :) I'm sure the manual was inside the box with the pump as well, but not 100% sure on that.
Depending on which cannula you use the biggest box is about 4 inches deep and 6 1/2 inches square

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, CarbsRok :)

A handle would be extremely useful as I've got a bit of a journey there and back. I'm guessing I won't be given many supplies but I'll check with my DSN as you suggest. I was remembering conversations about other pumps where people seemed to come away with a suitcase's worth of crucial pump stuff and I was panicking!

Thanks for the info :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you, CarbsRok :)

A handle would be extremely useful as I've got a bit of a journey there and back. I'm guessing I won't be given many supplies but I'll check with my DSN as you suggest. I was remembering conversations about other pumps where people seemed to come away with a suitcase's worth of crucial pump stuff and I was panicking!

Thanks for the info :)
I had my pump delivered to the door :)
Personally I think it daft to give someone 3 months of pump supplies as you have no idea as to whether the cannulas are suitable for you. A few sample packs of each type is more than enough to get on with. :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those were the days! My first pump was brought in person to my home by the pump rep who then proceeded to give me the training one to one in my own home with my DSN in attendance.

I wish that was an option this time!

I totally agree about sets. It's best to try a few to see what suits. A good set is absolutely crucial no matter how great the pump is.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooohhhh I forgot about the sharps bin. Yep, 2 bags for life possibly. (I stuffed it all in one but only carried it to my car.) good luck

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, Mrs Vimes!

Yours and CarbsRok's help is much appreciated :) I've been worrying about the logistics of carrying stuff more than the actual pump training! Hopefully, I can relax now and not have nightmares about being crushed by pump paraphernalia!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The biggest item their was was a 5 ltr sharps bin
Why did you need a 5 ltr sharps bin?
I have a 1 ltr bin which the GP provided 4 years ago and it isn't full yet.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why did you need a 5 ltr sharps bin?
I have a 1 ltr bin which the GP provided 4 years ago and it isn't full yet.

Was provided it by the hospital, I would never be able to fit the sets in a 1 ltr sharps bin. Was told to to put the whole thing in the 5ltr sharps bin.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Was provided it by the hospital, I would never be able to fit the sets in a 1 ltr sharps bin. Was told to to put the whole thing in the 5ltr sharps bin.
That's a dreadful waste as only sharps go in the sharps bin. I just remove the needle and put it in the bin the rest goes in the trash.

iHs

Animas can supply a small sharps bin for the Inset 2 and 30. It has a cut out in the top especially to take the different shapes but I dont use one

The Inset 2....I push out the white spring from the bottom of the plastic dome housing and then tuck the introducer needle under a lip in the spring so not to hurt anyone. The plastic dome is then put in the rubbish bin or re cycle.
The Inset 30 introducer is just pulled off and the rest of it is thrown out in the rubbish or used for something or other in the house, garden or garage

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you check out my blog in my signature i have an unboxing video that will show you all the packages i was provided with by Animas. It was 3 rather large boxes, mostly because they also gave me a bunch of infusion sets to test out AND a free verio IQ meter, as well as a bunch of magazines and paper work.

The pump itself, along with some papers, a quickstart guide and the full manual all came in a box the size of a laptop box with a built in handle that would be very easy to carry, but a bit more then i would be able to fit in a backpack. you could remove it from the box to save space.

If thats all you get then it should be easy, if they want to give you infusion sets, and magazines, and glucometers then you will either need a cart, or have to unbox everything so it packs down into a medium sized duffle bag, or a large backpack. Or just leave the rest of the non-essentials behind.

ALSO - Animas Canada told me that EVERYTHING from my Vibe can go into the recycle bin, nothing needs to go in the sharps bin. The only garbage is the packaging and wraps. They said that because the infusion sets click together after use to protect the needle i can toss that directly into my recycle bin, and the tubing and connection needle is guarded by the finger grips so it posses no danger and can be recycled as well. So i havent needed to use a sharps bin for anything but my lancets.