Question: fruit

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood sugar levels have, in the course of a year, lept to “dangerously high” (T2). Carbs have snuck in to my diet so I’m having a kind of spring clean of what I eat.

My GP says raspberries are v high carb - especially frozen ones (no prizes for guessing what I take into work for my breakfast with yoghurt and a small portion of paleo granola). Is this correct? I thought berries were low? What could I use instead?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your GP sounds like he doesn't know much about the carbs in fruit..
Fresh/frozen raspberries have about 4.5-5g of carbs per 100g one of the lowest carbs in any fruit so far as I know.
Blueberries are quite a bit higher maybe he was thinking of those...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugar levels have, in the course of a year, lept to “dangerously high” (T2). Carbs have snuck in to my diet so I’m having a kind of spring clean of what I eat.

My GP says raspberries are v high carb - especially frozen ones (no prizes for guessing what I take into work for my breakfast with yoghurt and a small portion of paleo granola). Is this correct? I thought berries were low? What could I use instead?
Another quick question are you testing your blood sugars before and after your meals or is your doctor one of the fools who doesn't recommend testing for Type 2's?

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Blast it! I thought blueberries were OK.

Reactions: flexi06

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Don’t assume you can’t have blueberries, I can eat them with cream or Greek yoghurt without affecting my levels badly, the only way to know is to test.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only eat raspberries, and always with cream or full fat plain yogurt, only half a dozen max, and only as part of a meal (dessert). They are the best fruit. Blackberries are fine. Blueberries spike me. As said before, the only way to know is to test them.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm fine with raspberries and a tiny bit of strawberry but blueberries are a no no for me. All taken with double cream or greek yoghurt. It is rare I have it these days as I no longer crave anything sweet but that is not to say I wouldn't like a little sweet occasionally, just that the craving is gone.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blue berries are the highest carb of the fruits called something berry, and are above my self imposed limit of 10 percent carbs.
The variety grown around the world is from America and they seem to be working towards fruits which come already crystallized with sugar.
I do have berries and cream a couple of times a week, but I use a tea cup as a bowl so as not to get carried away in my enthusiasm.
Are you using a full fat yoghurt? The low fat ones are sugared up, sometimes amazingly so.

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all

Yes, I have them with Fage Greek Yoghurt

bulkbiker- the nurse gave me a monitor but when I chased repeat prescriptions for the lancets and strips, was told by the GP that only T1s should use them, that it just makes people worry and that the NHS won’t allow them to be given to T2s. I did say that I would have picked up the very high increase more quickly than waiting for a year, had I been able to test. As it is, the nurse said only test first thing in the morning.

I used to test when I first was diagnosed, but was put off by a GP who was aggressively anti me testing and the kit being dodgy as to whether it worked or not

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
bulkbiker- the nurse gave me a monitor but when I chased repeat prescriptions for the lancets and strips, was told by the GP that only T1s should use them, that it just makes people worry and that the NHS won’t allow them to be given to T2s. I did say that I would have picked up the very high increase more quickly than waiting for a year, had I been able to test. As it is, the nurse said only test first thing in the morning.

I used to test when I first was diagnosed, but was put off by a GP who was aggressively anti me testing and the kit being dodgy as to whether it worked or not

The reason the NHS won't allow strips to be given to T2s is purely financial. It has nothing to do with whether they are useful or not. The vast majority of us on here buy our own. Without a meter you are working blind. Testing first thing in the morning and at no other time will tell you nothing. You need to test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Then look at the rise from before to after. If it is more than 2mmol/l (preferably less) there are too many carbs in that meal. This gives you the opportunity to learn which foods raise your levels and need to be reduced in portion size or eliminated. A detailed food diary is also very useful.

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason the NHS won't allow strips to be given to T2s is purely financial. It has nothing to do with whether they are useful or not. The vast majority of us on here buy our own. Without a meter you are working blind. Testing first thing in the morning and at no other time will tell you nothing. You need to test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Then look at the rise from before to after. If it is more than 2mmol/l (preferably less) there are too many carbs in that meal. This gives you the opportunity to learn which foods raise your levels and need to be reduced in portion size or eliminated. A detailed food diary is also very useful.
Thank you, that’s very helpful

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Unfortunately this is often seen to be the case. It's almost as if they don't want us to get better control. I was never offered a testing kit but have self funded from diagnosis and use the SD Codefree because the strips are the cheapest I would be completely lost without it.

https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/

(or telephone: 01923 711511)

for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98

For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:

5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49

10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98

Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips. For the bulk discount on strips for the SD Codefree, you need to complete the order (check the boxes to confirm that you are diabetic and the number of packs that you want). Then click on view basket and on the left hand side of the window you will see two boxes .. Coupon Code and Apply Coupon. Enter the relevant discount code in the first box and then click the Apply Coupon box. This applies the discount and adjusts the price .. and finally, you then proceed to checkout.

Reactions: flexi06

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't take someone who believes any food magically aquires more carbs by freezing it too seriously.

I find frozen raspberries that are defrosted before added to the cream/yogurt, tend to go squashy and this may interfere with things, much like juicing fruit. I found frozen ones gave me more of a rise than fresh.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find frozen raspberries that are defrosted before added to the cream/yogurt, tend to go squashy and this may interfere with things, much like juicing fruit. I found frozen ones gave me more of a rise than fresh.
Haha, and I do take you very seriously, @Bluetit1802 , so I might have to change my mind. I still don't believe they aquire more carbs though, more likely they only change into faster acting ones. Otherwise it could be a good trick to make food more nutricious by just freezing it. You'd only have to take half the amount of food with you on your next polar expedition :p

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha, and I do take you very seriously, @Bluetit1802 , so I might have to change my mind. I still don't believe they aquire more carbs though, more likely they only change into faster acting ones. Otherwise it could be a good trick to make food more nutricious by just freezing it. You'd only have to take half the amount of food with you on your next polar expedition :p

Of course they don't grow extra carbs ;), and your theory on changing to faster acting carbs is most likely the reason. I hate the cold, so no polar expeditions for me.

Reactions: Antje77