Type 2 Question Regarding Hb1Ac levels Over 90 days

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning I have 40g of porridge every single morning with 6 raspberries now this has always pushed my BG up to 10.5 an hour, it always drops back to the 4's and 5's after 2 hours,now my question is will this have an effect on my 90 day Hb1Ac results.Thank you:)

Reactions: Freema
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Good morning I have 40g of porridge every single morning with 6 raspberries now this has always pushed my BG up to 10.5 an hour, it always drops back to the 4's and 5's after 2 hours,now my question is will this have an effect on my 90 day Hb1Ac results.Thank you:)
I vote yes. Are you happy going up that high? How would replacing half of the oats with nuts and seeds appeal to you?

Reactions: urbanracer

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning @Avocado Sevenfold my friend well my last Hb1Ac a few days ago was 39 /5.7 from 50/6.7 3 months (Jan) I wondered if it is worth stopping the porridge to get a lower Hb1Ac next time,or is 39 OK:)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Good morning @wiseowl_123 Your recent hba1c result is awesome. Good work! Personally, I wouldn't like my meter to go into double figures ever. I like to keep my numbers as low and unspiky as possible.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @wiseowl_123, you might remember I, I posted that I occasionally do 35 grams of porridge. I go from a circa a mid 4 to a late 6. I only do this during a time of high metabolic rate. During this period I am doing heavy weights and get a dividend in lower fbg.

I personally think 10 is too high and inconsistent with your excellent A1c results. Do you like Greek yogurt, if so try this in place maybe with some cinamon, ground flax seeds and pumpkin seeds for a comparison.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @wiseowl_123 I eat porridge quite often too (30-35g), I make mine with water and finish it by stirring into the bowl some almond milk and a tablespoonful of ground flax seed, it helps to keep the rise down (or at least levels it out a bit) and gives it a nice nutty flavour as well as boosting my fibre etc.

39 is a good HbA1c :) but I'm in agreement with @Mbaker I personally don't like double figure readings either, if my porridge pushed me that high I would have reduced the amount or substituted something else.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your breakfast will affect your Hba1c of course but will it affect it to an unacceptable degree. Since you have a result of 39 I would say you are doing very well and ask just how low do you want it to go? If you are on a mission to get ever lower numbers then take the advice above. If I had an Hba1c of 39 I would be thinking of having a bottle of wine with it. Each to his own.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning @Squire Fulwood @geefull @Mbaker @Avocado Sevenfold my friends many thank you's for your positive and friendly posts,much appreciated I shall try my porridge with water if there is no difference in the 1 hour and 2 hour readings I shall indeed throw the box out of the window(after I have emptied it);)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wiseowl_123 you are doing really well, especially achieving a non diabetic reading so soon.

The Porridge, whilst giving you a temporary rise, is clearly not having an undue adverse affect on your longer term control.

You need to find a diet/lifestyle that you are comfortable with, and that will also improve your health in the long term. Removing something you enjoy eating, but which does not appear to be causing you too many issues is probably not a good idea for many reasons.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@wiseowl_123 My HbA1c last September was 39 too. After that I did have porridge for breakfast as the weather got colder. I didn't test after eating, but thought it was ok as my fbgs were usually around 6.3-6.5.
I did do a post breakfast test at the end of January, an hour after porridge, and my bs had gone up from 5.8 at 0725 to 10.8 at 0915. The remaining porridge oats went into the food recycling bin at 0916! :D
I don't know whether continuing to eat porridge would have meant a higher HbA1c next September, but I didn't want to take that risk

Edit: It probably wouldn't have affected my next HbA1c as I wouldn't have eaten porridge in the 3 months before the blood test. But from what I've read on here regular sharp spikes can cause problems in the long term so I'd rather avoid them.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM1874

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

yes .. I think it would, but try to put a lot of butter in it like 2 spoons and see if that raises your blood less

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
yes .. I think it would, but try to put a lot of butter in it like 2 spoons and see if that raises your blood less
I used to put double cream and soaked chia seeds in my porridge, but my bs still spiked.
Having stopped eating porridge I've got almost a kilo of chia seeds which I don't know what to do with. I'll try making chia seed pudding at some point.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@wiseowl_123

Your HbA1c is fantastic, but HbA1c tests do not show the full story I'm afraid. :)

High swings up and down do not do us any favours, and anything in double figures is likely to cause damage in the long term. Sharp spikes up and then sharp falls down aren't good. The ideal range is to keep your blood sugars as flat as you can, and after meals to keep the rise to a low gentle curve, like a hump rather than a pointed mountain peak.

Perhaps try a different breakfast with your porridge as a treat every so often?

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good evening @Bluetit1802 my friend and thank you as I am a young 72:D I have to find a balance as being realistic and I have never been a pessimistic character,in fact my glass as always been half full and not half empty ;) I have to balance eating what I enjoy to a certain extent and living as long as I can with diabetes,I am happy with the progress I have made so far(which is thanks to all of you)and being happy and contented so I have decided to carry on eating my porridge,using water and not milk and cutting the amount down from 40g to 35g ,I do hope that you all understand what I am trying to say,because I'm not sure how my post comes across:)

Reactions: AM1874 and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening @Bluetit1802 my friend and thank you as I am a young 72:D I have to find a balance as being realistic and I have never been a pessimistic character,in fact my glass as always been half full and not half empty ;) I have to balance eating what I enjoy to a certain extent and living as long as I can with diabetes,I am happy with the progress I have made so far(which is thanks to all of you)and being happy and contented so I have decided to carry on eating my porridge,using water and not milk and cutting the amount down from 40g to 35g ,I do hope that you all understand what I am trying to say,because I'm not sure how my post comes across:)

I can't say I blame you @wiseowl_123 I have been similar in some respects, not with porridge as I hate the stuff, but with other things. However, anything above 8 at an hour would horrify me and wouldn't be repeated more than once in a blue moon. It would be on the back boiler as a treat every now and again.

You are doing brilliantly and I admire your diligence and commitment to it all. :)

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good evening @Bluetit1802 my friend it was the initial shock and fear that drives me on everyday,and if I didn't take yours and our other friends sound advice I would be a fool,I shall start tomorrow by testing 1 hour after every meal and keep it below 8 what ever goes above that is out,as you say just an occasional treat maybe once a month,thank you for your help and advice,I have my first appointment with the new Diabetes nurse on Tuesday after 6 months,thank you:)

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning @Bluetit1802 my friend before porridge 5.3 1 hour after porridge(made with water) 8.6 2 hours after porridge 5,3 goodbye porridge:D

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning @Bluetit1802 my friend before porridge 5.3 1 hour after porridge(made with water) 8.6 2 hours after porridge 5,3 goodbye porridge:D

That is a lot better than the 10.5 you had previously been seeing. Did you reduce your normal portion size? I would be happier with that, and maybe try it with another even smaller portion, or keep it for a weekend treat?

Reactions: AM1874