Question

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told the end of a film
Is there an idiots guide to diabetes, if so where can I find it?

All of the acronyms used are making my head spin.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello folks

I'm 59, live up north in god's own county.

Don't rightly know if I'm diabetic, I'm kind of in the middle of being confirmed or not.

Put it this way, just before Christmas, my GP takes a blood test and tells me that I'm prediabetic. (Silly time to take a blood test for seeing if I'm diabetic with all that sugar around) A week or so later I'm then told that I'm actually diabetic. Then at the end of January I'm not prediabetic or diabetic because of some new scientific research done in Scotland.

But still need to act as though I am and was asked if I wanted to go on meds. In which I said no, I'm going to get through this process by diet alone. I got through gout (BTW the cure is eating cherries) and I'm on top of my IBS without meds, so I'm going to give the dieting a go first.

This month I have a diabetic class and an eye screening exam. If I do have diabetes then it's been going on for quite a few years now and nobody's told me. I've been told I have lovely veins. Yeah well, I just wish they'd stop putting needles in them.

Before you ask no I'm not worried, I have none alcohol cirrhosis of the liver which if you really think about it more worrying. I could write out all the other things wrong with me but it would take up to much space. So medical problems just wash over me like water of a ducks back, I just get on with living and not worry about what's going to hit me next,

Know I just need to understand the problem and reorganize my life, it can't be that hard. I've done it before so can do it again.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I started off with no knowledge last year and this is where I have found out most of what I know.

What ones are you most uncertain off?
All of them, it's like learning a new secret language nobody's told you about. Mmol/l really confused me at first but I think I can get my head round it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know which tests you actually had? Or more about why they changed their mind?

Reactions: ziggy_w
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not really knowing what tests the GP did cos, I have blood tests for all sorts of things from checking my cholesterol, checking if my livers still functioning also checking that my haemoglobin hasn't increased again.

I suppose that I should go and get a copy of the last 3 or 4 tests results, just to get a handle of the situation.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello folks

I'm 59, live up north in god's own county.

Don't rightly know if I'm diabetic, I'm kind of in the middle of being confirmed or not.

Put it this way, just before Christmas, my GP takes a blood test and tells me that I'm prediabetic. (Silly time to take a blood test for seeing if I'm diabetic with all that sugar around) A week or so later I'm then told that I'm actually diabetic. Then at the end of January I'm not prediabetic or diabetic because of some new scientific research done in Scotland.

But still need to act as though I am and was asked if I wanted to go on meds. In which I said no, I'm going to get through this process by diet alone. I got through gout (BTW the cure is eating cherries) and I'm on top of my IBS without meds, so I'm going to give the dieting a go first.

This month I have a diabetic class and an eye screening exam. If I do have diabetes then it's been going on for quite a few years now and nobody's told me. I've been told I have lovely veins. Yeah well, I just wish they'd stop putting needles in them.

Before you ask no I'm not worried, I have none alcohol cirrhosis of the liver which if you really think about it more worrying. I could write out all the other things wrong with me but it would take up to much space. So medical problems just wash over me like water of a ducks back, I just get on with living and not worry about what's going to hit me next,

Know I just need to understand the problem and reorganize my life, it can't be that hard. I've done it before so can do it again.
Hi @Here's trouble ,

It does get a bit overwhelming eh? I still read Bull S*** when someone types BS, including myself, rather than Blood Sugars. The good news: The non-alcoholic fatty liver disease I had was so severe, they thought it was a solid tumor rather than fat. It's gone now. Liverfunction back to normal entirely. If you get your blood sugars under control, the fat on the liver tends to melt away too. Two birds, one stone. Have a read here, it's a bit of a quick-start-guide, which I guess you could consider a "for dummies" version... https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html If you want to dive into it, try Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code. Lifesaver, that guy. Do think cherries'll be a problem, but then... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects/gout could be of interest there.

All in all... If you have questions, ask them. That's what we're here for. :)
Jo

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really knowing what tests the GP did cos, I have blood tests for all sorts of things from checking my cholesterol, checking if my livers still functioning also checking that my haemoglobin hasn't increased again.

I suppose that I should go and get a copy of the last 3 or 4 tests results, just to get a handle of the situation.
I’m just totally confused how you can go from being diabetic to not according to the dr and why he would say that. It may be that first test was just below threshold, for diagnosis and 2nd just above it but that doesn’t explain the about face afterwards. I think you really need to know what they tested for and what the actual numbers are to try and work out what’s going on and whether you are or aren’t diabetic

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that you really need to get the results of your tests to find out what they tested for and what the results are. I'm also a little sceptical that you could go from prediabetic to diabetic to not diabetic without taking some action eg low carb between the second and third test. I also think it is too important to ignore. If you google diabetic complications that will give you some idea of the possible consequences of ignoring it

That said you may want to get a meter while you wait for your results- regular testing is really the way to go if you do have diabetes. I'm afraid I also agree with @JoKalsbeek that cherries may be a problem.

Good luck finding out your results- it may be worth reading around in any case to start getting your head into it.

Good luck and welcome.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been the human maintenance center for the test results and last blood test was on 15 Jan. They said my A1c level is 54 mmol/mol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It was in the late 80's that I had gout and learnt about cherries, I found out that a cherry yoghurt or two took the pain away in less than 30 mins.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Been the human maintenance center for the test results and last blood test was on 15 Jan. They said my A1c level is 54 mmol/mol

that figure is above the diagnostic level for type 2 diabetes. I’m thinking this is likely to have been a repeat test to confirm the diagnosis but you really do need to go back and have it explained properly to you what they have checked and what they are saying and what all that about Scottish research is about. Ask for printouts of all the relevant tests they are done with the results. If you’re confused by any of it we can help explain. Too many drs are too vague!

You should be having a follow up appointment with a dr or nurse following that result anyway. There are other tests to be done if you are diagnosed and screening for eyes and feet etc that need doing/booking.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
11 Dec 19. Blood test for Full blood count - stable

15 Jan 20. Tested for HbA1c 54 -Actioned
Tested my Cholesterol levels

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11 Dec 19. Blood test for Full blood count - stable

15 Jan 20. Tested for HbA1c 54 -Actioned
Tested my Cholesterol levels
So I’m still very confused about the pre> diabetic> non diabetic saga. Only one of these tests is for diabetes. It says a actioned. What have they done?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The dsn sent me to a class at the hospital. Dr sent me to get my eye's tested. That's all

Once that's done I'm going to see the Dr again.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @HSSS . The HbA1c is above the level needed to diagnose diabetes .

I repeat m y advice to get a meter and test regularly. Your health is more important to you than anyone else.

Try foods and see what effect they have on your blood sugar levels.

The complications from diabetes can be severe-your level isn't that high so you may be able to achieve norm al readings with a little tweaking of your diet. My strong recommendation try low carb for 5 days and see what your readings are.

Good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Got a meter, so do I need testing fluid first before I start testing or can I just start testing without using the testing fluid