Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shillyshally about pork scratchings.

The only time I consistently lost weight while very low carbing was when I was eating 3 meals a day, with my lunch at work consisting of a bag of Posh (anglesey) pork scratchings and something like crustless quiche, or mozarella, or cold meat.

But then they reduced the salt in that 'Posh' brand, and I lost my taste for them. Now I struggle to enjoy them - and have lost no significant weight since I started IF and dropped breakfast. Sigh.

Can't have any of the other brand of scratching because they are either smothered in dextrose or MSG or some other stuff that just makes me thirsty.

Homemade crackling... oh goodness... delicious. Especially when spiced and rubbed. Jerk, BBQ or chipotle, for preference.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I ate too many in the early days, salted macadamias too, can’t go near either of them now, not even the homemade ones.

Scratching are good ground up for a crispy coating though.
I am the same, liked them at first but not so keen on them now..I have had to many stale packs and put me off, oh and the pigs hair that was on one (Vomit)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I buy belly pork and roast them till nearly crispy,,when cooked cut them into squares after going cold then put them in the fridge. I then take a few pieces out and grill them up crisp..nice as a snack. I do not have to many as I cannot eat to much fat

Reactions: JohnEGreen

dipsydo

Marks crackling crisps are, I find, better than Mr Porky and have the advantage of being softer on the teeth and just pork rind and nothing else so no flour, dextrose MSD etc and I have never had a rancid pack - as always the disadvantage is price .. sigh !

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Marks crackling crisps are, I find, better than Mr Porky and have the advantage of being softer on the teeth and just pork rind and nothing else so no flour, dextrose MSD etc and I have never had a rancid pack - as always the disadvantage is price .. sigh !

Oh I like those too, expensive as you say, with a short use by date and need keeping in the fridge. But yes softer.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This article about dirty pig and chicken meat from the US, was in the Australian edition of the Guardian this morning might change your thinking on crackling / scratchings.

https://www.theguardian.com/animals...lings-discovered-in-us-pig-and-chicken-plants

If it's cheap, it's c**p.
If it's not cheap, it's c**p someone bought, and did a massage to move it on.

I've seen the wagons going to the slaughterhouse, I've seen them coming back.(different wagon you'll be pleased to know).
I'm not dead, you're not dead.
But let's not crack on meat isn't getting cheaper for a reason

If you really want to get into a knot, look at shellfish.

D

Deleted member 308541

I've seen the wagons going to the slaughterhouse, I've seen them coming back.(different wagon you'll be pleased to know).
I worked in the meat industry both retail and wholesale for thirty years before I went to work in a different industry. I have seen both sides of the street where meat is concerned.

One of my former work mates worked at Shiphams in Chichester in the early 1960's and he was telling me what came into that place for rendering down for the various pastes they made.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I worked in the meat industry both retail and wholesale for thirty years before I went to work in a different industry. I have seen both sides of the street where meat is concerned.

One of my former work mates worked at Shiphams in Chichester in the early 1960's and he was telling me what came into that place for rendering down for the various pastes they made.

Best not to tell the others.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m happy to eat nose to tail disguised as something else!

Insects next...

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mate,
They wash it, and bake it, so if they snip around the pig an*s to a good shape, who cares.
Any pig skin makes scratchings, who cares if it's an eyelid or an a***hole

It's still rancid.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m happy to eat nose to tail disguised as something else!

Insects next...

I'm rather fancying trying a bit of conscious nose-to-tail eating, since @Brunneria told me about an offal soup she reported as being delicious.

(Sorry if we're going off-topic.)

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm rather fancying trying a bit of conscious nose-to-tail eating, since @Brunneria told me about an offal soup she reported as being delicious.

(Sorry if we're going off-topic.)

We're not, but you do seem to a lot to be fair.
No offense like.
Who polices the police eh?

That's the way of things lol.

Your site, your rules.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We're not, but you do seem to a lot to be fair.
No offense like.
Who polices the police eh?

That's the way of things lol.

Your site, your rules.

Thanks for your feedback.