Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No I really haven't seen any that would suggest what you have implied, perhaps you could send provide a link so I can see what your talking about.

hornplayer

I don't think so. If you read through the comments here, you'll see that other people have also seen what I have. I don't intend to start pointing fingers and playing the "quote game" because, as has already been pointed out, sometimes people don't mean things to sound the way they do and wouldn't have caused offence deliberately.

My rant was general. I will not make it specific. This was not an attempt to start an argument and I won't participate in turning it into one.

- if you want an argument, I respectfully suggest you start your own thread.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
images

Sorry Hornplayer you are on the wrong side.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I think it was a joke reference to the class sketch rather than a literal criticism

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

elaine77

I think your rant is a little misguided to say that type 1/1.5s do or say everything out of malice, I don't think it's that I think it's out of anger and I think they have the right to also blow off steam as you just did.

Personally, for me, do I get angry about type 2 diabetics? No. Do I get angry about type 2 diabetics who choose to ignore and not control their condition? Yes I do and I'm so very sorry if that upsets or offends someone but it isn't personal.

At the end of the day type 2 diabetes is a condition and type 1/1.5 is a disease and they are two very different things. Does it anger me that the majority of type 2 diabetics can ensure they do not need to be insulin dependent and can control their diabetes through their diet and possibly medication? No. Does it anger me that they can do that but choose not to? Yes because some of us don't get that choice and many, maybe not all, but many type 1/1.5 diabetics would switch to type 2 in a heartbeat if it meant they would not be dependent on insulin for the rest of their lives.

I do understand that there is a genetic element to type 2 diabetes but the impact weight and lifestyle has on the causation of the condition just can't be ignored. Any kind of bitching or sniping or putting people down obviously isn't very helpful or productive but at the same time I do believe that type 2s should also be a little bit more empathetic to type 1/1.5s simply for the fact that they have a disease that they can't improve and that had NOTHING to do with their own actions. Weight and lifestyle might not be THE only reason people develop type 2 diabetes but I don't think many type 2 diabetics can say that NOTHING they did contributed to their condition or that NOTHING they can do will help improve it.

I don't wish to offend anyone I simply believe everyone's viewpoints need to be considered and the OP has given theirs...so this is mine. Thanks for reading.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

hornplayer

Elaine, as you say, everyone needs to blow off steam. If you're looking for an argument you're about eight hours too late. I'm over it.

- I suggest you have your own "rant", it works wonders.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hornplayer said:
The wrong side of what??

This isn't an argument or a rugby match, how can there be a wrong side?

T1/1.5's who very obviously look down on T2's.

Exactly there is no side looking down at T2's.

I have dyslexia not to sure if it is graded,I am sure you can understand I know it is not a argument or game so why are you trying to score goals.

Roy. :)

hornplayer

Guys.

This is a rant. A way of letting off steam. I'm not trying to score points, or start an argument. You're the ones who are doing that. You're perfectly entitled to your own rants. Why not start your own threads?? I'm not going to argue with you.

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
At the risk of sounding like a hippy (was I am glad to say was before my time)
I don't understand why everyone is getting so bothered -

1) it's a rant - they are not meant to be there for in depth analysis. They are there to blow of steam and make yourself feel better
2) As has already been said everyone has their own opinion. Lets leave it at that
3) Different people find different things offensive
4) If you don't agree then you don't have to read it/ make a comment

Even if we accept that type 2 diabetics have some responsiblity for their condition (which I am not sure I agree with). I'm human and therefore make mistakes and stupid choices. Whats the point in worrying how you get here, just support each other in dealing with the problem now we are here.

I wonder if I should take some responisbility/guilt for the fact that I knew for a month before I went to the doctor that i was diabetic. The Symptoms were too obvious. I then ended up in hospital with keytoneacidosis (too late to work out if that is spelt right), my doctors are still trying to work out how I was up and walking round and how I have not had permanant damage.

I guess i'm saying (at the risk of sounding like a christian) don't judge others as we don't know their situation. Support and be helpful when you can and ask for help if you need it.

elaine77

You posted and I responded. There is no argument hornplayer. If you did not want people to respond then perhaps you should have written your rant down onto a piece of paper and read it back to yourself as opposed to placing it on to a discussion forum.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

hornplayer

sheepareevil said:
I don't understand why everyone is getting so bothered -

1) it's a rant - they are not meant to be there for in depth analysis. They are there to blow of steam and make yourself feel better
2) As has already been said everyone has their own opinion. Lets leave it at that
3) Different people find different things offensive
4) If you don't agree then you don't have to read it/ make a comment

There you go Elaine, I think that about sums it up.

This is/was my rant. Go get your own.

Sorry, too tired to more subtle than that.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hornplayer, think u should take some of your own advice !!!!

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hornplayer said:
Are we not past this people???!!

Reading around the forum, I keep reading comments by T1/1.5's who very obviously look down on T2's. We seem to have a two tier system operating here. Them and us.

I would just like to register, without getting into the argument about what does or does not CONTRIBUTE to the onset of which ever form of diabetes you have, that I find such attitudes insulting, judgemental, cruel and extremely unhelpful. I've said before, and I'll say again, sniping and digging does not make someone want to open up, discuss and, hopefully, change whatever needs changing. It doesn't aid education, it MAKES THINGS WORSE!!!! - but maybe that's ok? If all the T2's slink off and die, there'll be more attention and all that well deserved sympathy directed towards the more deserving others! - incase you missed it, that was sarcasm!

Can we all just GET OVER IT?! We all have this thing, HOWEVER IT CAME ABOUT, can we not just share ideas, discuss what works, celebrate our successes and support each other through the tough times??? We can't change this. None of us can. But we CAN CONTROL IT.

hornplayer goo
hornplayer quote [b] said:
Are we not past this people???!!

Reading around the forum, I keep reading comments by T1/1.5's who very obviously look down on T2's. We seem to have a two tier system operating here. Them and us. [/b] unquote

If you are going to make such a crass statement hornplayer, then you need to back it up, If members have made these comments I for one, would like to hear why they have. I'm sure many will be waiting with eager anticipation!!!!! You seem to have come across as wanting to start some sort of Diabetes war :shifty: If you care to look closely around the forum, you will find lots of support, advice and empathy given, in the past, the present and no doubt the future :)

' Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up'

RRB