Rant!!!

hornplayer

Are we not past this people???!!

Reading around the forum, I keep reading comments by T1/1.5's who very obviously look down on T2's. We seem to have a two tier system operating here. Them and us.

I would just like to register, without getting into the argument about what does or does not CONTRIBUTE to the onset of which ever form of diabetes you have, that I find such attitudes insulting, judgemental, cruel and extremely unhelpful. I've said before, and I'll say again, sniping and digging does not make someone want to open up, discuss and, hopefully, change whatever needs changing. It doesn't aid education, it MAKES THINGS WORSE!!!! - but maybe that's ok? If all the T2's slink off and die, there'll be more attention and all that well deserved sympathy directed towards the more deserving others! - incase you missed it, that was sarcasm!

Can we all just GET OVER IT?! We all have this thing, HOWEVER IT CAME ABOUT, can we not just share ideas, discuss what works, celebrate our successes and support each other through the tough times??? We can't change this. None of us can. But we CAN CONTROL IT.

Stop the sniping. Stop the woe is me! Stop the mine is worse than yours!! STOP LOOKING DOWN ON YOUR FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS!!!! There isn't one person anywhere who is better or worse, more or less valuable to the experience of what it is to be human than any one else.

What I'm really trying to say is GET OVER YOURSELVES!!

rant over. I feel better now. :)

hornplayer

Don't think I said anything about freedom of speech. Everyone is welcome to say what ever they like, where ever and when ever. What you choose to say, however, speaks volumes.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Well said hornplayer very well said

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
I would just like to say I am sorry you feel that way and I hope that your don't get that impression from all us type 1's.
I have to say that when I was diagnosed with diabetes in january I was relieved to find out that it was type 1 instead of type 2.

In a lot of ways I feel that being a type 2 diabetic would have a larger impact on day to day life, at least mine anyway.

So what I am trying to say is that I think type 2 diabetics deserve respect for being able to deal with it, especially in a world that has so many people that are determined to make you feel bad about yourself.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think on the whole, this forum is very supportive and a great attribute to all those who post.
There are some snipers out there but I don't see it as T1 vs T2 at all. There are a few who feel they know everything and their word is the law, regardless of condition. If there were no heated discussions or differences of opinions what a boring forum this would be. For me, the trouble appears to start when members "quote" other members posts just do dismiss it with their superior opinion or intelligence ! If you look back you will see this is a mix of T1's AND T2's alike. I've read a few remarks and winced but sometimes the written word is open to interpretation. Often, what is read as malice is not always planned.
I agree there are a few personal attacks and these are not cool but they are minimal compared to the huge amount of support and advice offered overall.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well said sheep and mo :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

hornplayer

Agreed.

My rant obviously isn't directed at everyone and those it does apply to probably don't think it does, - if that makes sense? I do think it needed to be said though.

Hey, this "rant" thing works! I feel loads better now. :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hornplayer, we know it is not directed at everyone but can totally understand. I've read some posts where the type 1/2 argument starts and tend to shy away from them as I've always thought of it as if your diabetic its very helpful to share what works/experiences and share ideas whatever type. Both share characteristics just managed differently.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unfortunatly, these forums (and anything that involves converstations that are not face to face tend to) bring out the worse in some people. It is a shame, as these forums are set up to help everyone and anyone who needs it.

Hornplayer, Rants are always brilliant! I swear it's the only way I can deal with teaching teenagers. Although saying that they are quite funny. I believe the latest quote was "so Miss, you're diabetic. Does that mean we can test your blood for you? Can we see the needle?" They couldn't understand why I wouldn't let them stab me! :shock:

C

catherinecherub

It is only a minority on here. Most people are supportive, regardless of type.
When some knowall says something that is hurtful or derogatory towards Type2 it says more about them than you and I tend to think that these people are unhappy about their lot and get satisfaction from upsetting other people. You will meet characters like this in all walks of life and on all subjects. They seem to think that you are entitled to an opinion but they are always right.
Treat them with the contempt that they deserve.

A couple of quotes,

Make no judgements where you have no compassion. Anne McCaffrey.
Always keep an open mind and a compassionate heart. Phil Jackson.

There was a petition doing the rounds in America asking that Type1 and 2 be given separate names as they were not the same. This chap, a Type1, put forward another petition to help all diabetics
http://strangelydiabetic.com/2013/04/17 ... -them-all/

There was also a blogger that I admired for his take on it..
http://strangelydiabetic.com/2013/04/17 ... -them-all/

I'm glad your rant has made you feel better. :lol:

Mr Happy

hornplayer said:
Don't think I said anything about freedom of speech. Everyone is welcome to say what ever they like, where ever and when ever. What you choose to say, however, speaks volumes.

So you are judge and jury?

I honestly do not get your rant, no purpose and simply an effort to divide rather than bring together...

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hornplayer said:
Lol, the best one I've had was "cool Miss! Bet vampires love you!"

Hornplayer, Lol that's a great one.

That's interesting about the petition. I'm not sure that I disagree with it in theory, not because one is worse that the other but simply because the treatments and causes are quite different. Howeever, I don't think it would work that way, as one of them would always be seen as lesser.
It's like what I was told when I was training to teach. We were given a lecture that when teaching about the holocaust we should only use thst tern when talking about the mass murder of jews (technically correct). My reply was that's fine for us but teenagers will then see the genocide of others as lesser as it doen not have a title.

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mr Happy said:
hornplayer said:

So you are judge and jury?

I honestly do not get your rant, no purpose and simply an effort to divide rather than bring together...

Sorry to interupt but I think the purpose of the blog was simply to blow of steam because some people are slightly insensitive. Probably because they do not realise that it may cause offense.

I for one can understand Hornblower's anger, as many people (wrongly) believe that type 2 is self inflicted. It must be very hard to deal with, especially as it's not and is influenced by genetics.

There should be no hierarchy of illness - we are all dealing with diabetes and should help and support each other.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hornplayer said:
Are we not past this people???!!

Reading around the forum, I keep reading comments by T1/1.5's who very obviously look down on T2's. We seem to have a two tier system operating here. Them and us.

Have you got the right forum Hornblower :think: .........unless I've missed a thread I haven't seen any T1's/1.5's looking down on type 2's, really don't see the point in your rant and what you hope to achieve by it.