Rant!!!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hornplayer, you are of course entitled to a rant but every thread elicits responses so you must have at least comsidered a lash back. I am sorry you feel that type 2 has been discriminated against. Any illness is difficult enough to deal with without the burden of of other's prejudice. I have not noticed a bias against type 2 but I am type one so may not be as attuned to it. I would like to add that I do not believe type 2 is self inflicted. To add to the quote pool
"Even God waits until the end of a man's life to judge him.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hornplayer said:
In what way Brett?

Do I really need to explain, cause tbh I can't be *****, and am sure I don't need to other forum members

If a moderator is reading this could I politely ask for this thread to be closed. Thanks

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

hornplayer

I think you're missing the point. This was a rant. My rant. I wasn't trying to start a war, just commenting on my observation that some people seem to think one exists. If you don't agree with that observation, fine. That's your prerogative.

I thought the point of a rant was to let off a little steam. I'm sorry if I miss understood. Maybe there should be a category in the index "an invitation to argue"?

I stand by my original post. If you don't agree, that's fine. I have no intention of trying to convince anyone of anything. We're all big kids here. We can make up our own minds.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hornplayer said:
I think you're missing the point. This was a rant. My rant. I wasn't trying to start a war, just commenting on my observation that some people seem to think one exists. If you don't agree with that observation, fine. That's your prerogative.

I thought the point of a rant was to let off a little steam. I'm sorry if I miss understood. Maybe there should be a category in the index "an invitation to argue"?

I stand by my original post. If you don't agree, that's fine. I have no intention of trying to convince anyone of anything. We're all big kids here. We can make up our own minds.

No hornplayer, you wrote that you noticed type 1's type 1.5's look down on type 2's, where are the facts then? If you are going to start a thread with such a statement ,you know full well that you are going to get a big reaction. Where are these members comments, what threads????????????? please have the good manners to back it up.

Just have a look at Wee Willies inspiration thread :thumbup: says it all.

RRB

hornplayer

If you look at one of my later posts I clearly say that I'm not prepared to start pointing fingers at any one, purposely to avoid this turning personal. You're trying to make it personal and it isn't. I don't yell at you for having an opinion, please don't yell at me. If you want to know names, dates and places, you'll need to read around, like i did. I won't give them to you. I could, but I choose not to.

This was just a rant. I know that some people love to argue. I'm not one of them. - maybe I should have said that it was rhetorical? Maybe I should have written it down on a piece of paper. I didn't. Maybe I will next time.

Mr Happy

sheepareevil said:
Mr Happy said:
hornplayer said:
Don't think I said anything about freedom of speech. Everyone is welcome to say what ever they like, where ever and when ever. What you choose to say, however, speaks volumes.

So you are judge and jury?

I honestly do not get your rant, no purpose and simply an effort to divide rather than bring together...

Sorry to interupt but I think the purpose of the blog was simply to blow of steam because some people are slightly insensitive. Probably because they do not realise that it may cause offense.

I for one can understand Hornblower's anger, as many people (wrongly) believe that type 2 is self inflicted. It must be very hard to deal with, especially as it's not and is influenced by genetics.

There should be no hierarchy of illness - we are all dealing with diabetes and should help and support each other.

Type 2 can partly be self inflicted in many cases, as could type 1.

And of course there's a hierachy of illness unless you'd rather they cure the common cold than cancer...

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mr Happy said:
sheepareevil said:
Mr Happy said:
hornplayer said:
Don't think I said anything about freedom of speech. Everyone is welcome to say what ever they like, where ever and when ever. What you choose to say, however, speaks volumes.

I honestly do not get your rant, no purpose and simply an effort to divide rather than bring together...

Sorry to interupt but I think the purpose of the blog was simply to blow of steam because some people are slightly insensitive. Probably because they do not realise that it may cause offense.

I for one can understand Hornblower's anger, as many people (wrongly) believe that type 2 is self inflicted. It must be very hard to deal with, especially as it's not and is influenced by genetics.

There should be no hierarchy of illness - we are all dealing with diabetes and should help and support each other.

And of course there's a hierachy of illness unless you'd rather they cure the common cold than cancer...

Please explain to me how Type 1 can be self inflicted? Because I for one am 100% sure that no lifestyle choice had made any influence to me having it, just an unfortunate gene that my family was unaware of.

So really, do please enlighten me.

As for the original comment, it was clearly a rant. As the title suggested. I have been lucky enough to not see any comments of the nature mentioned. But then as a T1 I have no claim to know ANYTHING about T2 and so steer clear of those threads unless I genuinely feel I can help.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I became a Type 1 diabetic 30 years ago last month. And in my case, I'm certain it was partly self-infilcted.

I was living with a 'girlfriend'. And I use the scare-quotes because she was putting me under a lot of stress, which I believe was deliberate on her part. I could have walked out on her, but I didn't.

In my stressed state, I remember very clearly eating very badly: on an empty stomach, after a highly stressed night away with the 'girlfriend', I remember very clearly eating a large bag of wine gums on the drive back to London, from Norfolk. (I think I also ate a Mars bar, and still more junk.)

A week-or-so later, I remember noticing that I couldn't focus my eyesight on the end of the Territorial Army drill-hall. Previously, my eyesight had been perfect.

I made an appointment to see the GP. He took a blood-sample, and sent it to the hospital.

So I believe there were three major causative factors in my case: the 'girlfriend', the junk-food, and me.

Most people eat very bad diets, I believe, whether or not they're diabetic. And that includes children of all ages. I believe that a major factor in these cases is ignorance.

There is also a kind of wilful ignorance at play. Most significantly, I believe, there is an unwillingness of politicians and food-manufacturers to recognise both their own involvement in maintaining the status quo and in facing up to the potential for change.

Mr Happy

hale710 said:
Mr Happy said:
sheepareevil said:
Mr Happy said:
hornplayer said:

Please explain to me how Type 1 can be self inflicted? Because I for one am 100% sure that no lifestyle choice had made any influence to me having it, just an unfortunate gene that my family was unaware of.

As for the original comment, it was clearly a rant. As the title suggested. I have been lucky enough to not see any comments of the nature mentioned. But then as a T1 I have no claim to know ANYTHING about T2 and so steer clear of those threads unless I genuinely feel I can help.

Indeed you have to carry the gene but I believe 3 years of ridiculous drinking at Uni is what triggered it. Whether I could have lasted another day, month, decade, lifetime who knows.

As for the rant, how can you logically 'rant' about what people are permitted to say and then dismiss responses because it's a rant. Would the opening poster be happy if as a T1 I ranted that all T2's were fat, lazy idiots who deserved it - then just claimed it was a rant? Maybe Hitler should be forgiven for his rants, the hate preachers for their 'death to the West'. Appealing for censorship whilst expressing free speech is somewhat ridiculous!

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I did not see any appeal forcensorship

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mr Happy said:
hale710 said:
Mr Happy said:
sheepareevil said:
Mr Happy said:
hornplayer said:

Indeed you have to carry the gene but I believe 3 years of ridiculous drinking at Uni is what triggered it. Whether I could have lasted another day, month, decade, lifetime who knows.

As for the rant, how can you logically 'rant' about what people are permitted to say and then dismiss responses because it's a rant. Would the opening poster be happy if as a T1 I ranted that all T2's were fat, lazy idiots who deserved it - then just claimed it was a rant? Maybe Hitler should be forgiven for his rants, the hate preachers for their 'death to the West'. Appealing for censorship whilst expressing free speech is somewhat ridiculous!

I'm completed a 5 year degree without feeling the need to drink excessively. I eat a healthy, balanced diet, I always have and I always will. There is nothing that could have been done for me to trigger it. And that is the point of T1, it is a disease. You can't blame something for it as no one knows the trigger yet. It's like blaming lung cancer in a non-smoker on breathing too much!

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Moreover, since we are where we are, I'd say the same (sometimes) wilful ignorance seems to be involved in diabetics' general failure to adequately control their condition. For indeed, I believe it might very easily be adequately controlled in almost all cases.

And, par excellence, the same applies to diabetic experts' advice regarding their patients' control of their condition.

Ps. As I wrote previously, I'm perfectly confident that I know what were the major causal factors of type 1 diabetes in my case.

elaine77

Apologies Michael but I absolutely refuse to believe that eating a lot of wine gums caused your immune system to start attacking and murdering its own beta cells!

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and I do not believe any type of unhealthy diet whatsoever plays any part in the type 1 diabetes immune response! I believe it can effect the MANAGEMENT and the ACCELERATION of the disease but absolutely not the causation. I never had a bad diet or any family genetics at all for this disease and yet here I am. Completely disagree!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
elaine77 said:
Apologies Michael but I absolutely refuse to believe that eating a lot of wine gums caused your immune system to start attacking and murdering its own beta cells!

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and I do not believe any type of unhealthy diet whatsoever plays any part in the type 1 diabetes immune response! I believe it can effect the MANAGEMENT and the ACCELERATION of the disease but absolutely not the causation. I never had a bad diet or any family genetics at all for this disease and yet here I am. Completely disagree!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

I completely agree Elaine. Poor diet of any kind is not to blame for T1.

It's people who claim things like this that spread misinformation resulting in a lot of misguided people!

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Neither of you mention the STRESS, which I mentioned.

And I wonder, just for example, what kind of breakfast 'cereals' your parents gave you to eat when you were children. (Though I wouldn't blame your parents, I hasten to add.) And I wonder if you ate a normal diet before you became diabetic. For a normal diet is quite sugar laden.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Are anyone's posts getting deleted?

I'm astonished that my innocuous posts on another thread offended the moderator but many of those above don't.

As I said in the post I thought I had made earlier (now deleted?). I'm all for free speech - keep it up!

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
hale710 said:
It's people who claim things like this that spread misinformation resulting in a lot of misguided people!

As a child, I also ate wine-gums and now I too have diabetes :shock: Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye...

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
michaeldavid said:
Neither of you mention the STRESS, which I mentioned.

No stress. I've had a nice, simple childhood. Breezed through my degree (not bragging, I just took to it easily). Walked into a fantastic graduate position, have my house, my dog, my boyfriend and a close family nearby. Stress was not a factor until last week...... I was diagnosed in late February having had symptoms since Xmas.

Not everything has a reason, it just happens! We have no history of diabetes but now me and cousin are both T1. The gene has come out of the woodwork and clearly won't go away now. If I knew ANY way to prevent my siblings or cousins or even future children from getting it and could advise them then I would. But the truth is we just don't know.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I wasn't claiming to know about your case, only about my own.

Moeover, I wrote above that we are where we are. We have diabetes. And I suggest that the vast majority of diabetics might control their condition very much better that they do at present.

Most importantly, they could test their blood-sugar more often: I test mine up to 20 times per day, mostly using the highly economical visually read testing strips. Most diabetics don't even know about these: Betachek Visual are the only practical kind available.

Most diabetics could also eat rye bread, which has a highly moderating effect on the blood-sugar.