1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Rant!!!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by hornplayer, Jun 2, 2013.

1. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Only thing that changed when my symptoms started was I got a puppy...... Pretty sure he isn't to blame haha

2. Ambersilva

Ambersilva Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I remember BM strips, but not used by me because I am only 4 years since diagnosis.

Through family members I also remember when blood was obtained from an earlobe for a reading.

3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

From the earlobe ? whoa, that must of been quite a long time ago I'm guessing then, longer than my 24 years :lol:

RRB :)

4. Thundercat

Thundercat · Well-Known Member

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
    Doctors I have had over the years agree that stress, viruses and major illness could POSSIBLY cause type 1 but none believe that too much sugar/poor diet is a causal factor. I was 12 when diagnosed. My parents were big believers in a healthy diet. I was 7 when the first box of cereal entered the house and it was only allowed at weekends. Sweets were an occasional treat. I have 3 siblings who do not have diabetes but who ate precisely the same diet. Apparantly some are born with a propensity to develop autoimmune disorders and the likelihood is that it can be triggered by stress or illness but would more than likely develop anyway. So if you have an autoimmune disorder you have a much increased chance of developing another. I have had a couple of bouts of uvitis for example. The idea that sugar can trigger your immune system to attack healthy cells is utterly erroneous. The idea that it is stress related is open to debate and not yet clinically proven but anecdotally it seems plausible in my opinion

5. michaeldavid

michaeldavid Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well, as I said two- or possibly three-times previously, we are where we are.

And a sugar-laden diet is piosonous for any kind of diabetic.

Ps. So called breakfast 'cereals' have cereal in them. But typically, they're sugar-laden too. So to call them cereals without the use of scare-quotes is seriously misleading.

Pps. Shredded Wheat is okay. That's just cereal - sc. it's wheat, shredded

6. Robinredbreast

Yes, I think we do understand that Shredded wheat is , erm, Wheat that has been Shredded :eh: But I couldn't stand the stuff, Brillo pads came to mind......... and no carbs :lol:

7. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

Or air held together with pubes

8. michaeldavid

What do you mean 'no carbs'?

Wheat has carbohydrate in it. So Shredded Wheat has carbohydrate in it.

It just doesn't have any fast-acting carbohydrate.

One might think something called 'Weetabix' only has wheat in it. But it also contains added sugar.

9. Robinredbreast

I know what you mean. My mum was Scottish and a part-time nurse, good wholesome food cooked at home and treats were a treat.
    There is only 13 months between me and my sister( we have 3 older brothers, bit of an age gap) and when we got home from school and our mum and dad were at work she used to eat sugar sandwiches :sick: and I was the one who got Type 1.

My darling granddaughter aged only 2 and 1/2 was seriously ill in hospital with Type 1 and she ate well as did her brother and sister, but unfortunately she has it too :cry: Yes I know about getting other auto immune disorders :( It's like those adverts, buy one, get one free ( Bogof)

RRB

10. stuffedolive

stuffedolive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is it true that you can get it by walking on the cracks in the pavement? :wink:

11. Thundercat

Thundercat · Well-Known Member

I wish it would 'bogoff' RRB! Love the brillo analogy by the way - sums shredded wheat up perfectly!:grin:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

12. Robinredbreast

Michael, If you read my post again you will see I mentioned no carbs, with a laughing symbol, because I had just said it reminded me of a BRILLO PAD, that, has no carbs :) Hope that is clearer.

ps I do know what foods have Carbs in them and what doesn't ,thanks :thumbup:

13. michaeldavid

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm slightly autistic - sometimes it gets the upper hand.

14. Robinredbreast

Possibly , that's why I walk in the road and play Dodgems :lol: I don't want to 'catch' anymore medical conditions.

15. Robinredbreast

You know what will happen now, the 'younger' members will be googling Brillo Pad, I remember when I found a bit of a rusty one in my mums' under the sink cleaning area, OMO, VIM etc and the rusty brillo pad :lol:

I wonder if that would happen to an old packet of Shredded Wheat :lol: :lol:

16. blothom

blothom Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am type 2, but with a foot in both camps, as recently put onto insulin, in an attempt to control my extremely high BM, which I can only put down to denial and ignorance. I love sweet things, pudding, fruit juices, etc, and as I don't drink, smoke, or have much of a social life, my life revolved around food, and I ate whatever I wanted, not realising the damage I was doing to my body. I felt great, therefore I must be well, yeah? Just thirsty and a bit tired, but I am getting on in years, and I had never missed a day off work with diabetes . I believed that only Type 1 had the severe problems. I even stopped taking my meds, cos they made me feel ill. So when my toe went black, but didn't hurt, I thought it was part of a fungal nail infection that never quite went away. Imagine my horror when the doc sent me to the hospital, and I was told the big toe had to come off that night, or I might not live to see the next day!
    Point is, it doesn't matter which type of diabetes you have, we all can have the same problems, and if everyone was more open to discussion, and sharing info, I might have paid more attention, AND NOT BEEN SO STUPID!!! :crazy: So now I have to live with an insulin regime for the rest of my life, which, although flexible, means I have to plan more carefully, and I can't wear flip flops!
    Let's get together, people, and accept that we are diabetics, full stop.

17. Neil Walters

Neil Walters Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That is a sobering thought wow there but for the grace of god etc

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook