Rant!!

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Need to rant here as I seem to have upset my entire family on FB lol.

My brother posted a pic of a giant cake with the tag line 'All I want for Christmas is crippling diabetes' Not one person in my family (other my mum) can understand why I'm upset about this?

I made a comment about how actually unfunny diabetes is and I have had my dad and sister both defend him?

Am I wrong in thinking that this is a disgusting remark to make when you have close family members that suffer from this terrible illness? Bear in mind he's at uni and wants to be a doctor :/

I know this sound a.petty argument but I am genuinely upset and really disappointed in my brother :(

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not at all surprised you are upset and disappointed in him. That is a slur on all diabetics. It was extremely insensitive and thoughtless of him. Maybe you should let us know his facebook page and we can all make our comments!!!

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks for sticking up for all us diabetics, if only it was that simple that sugar causes diabetes..we all would be cured.
it was a poor joke from your brother, and like a sexist joke, if you don't laugh with the group, you are attacked for being sensitive..

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
You cant chose your family! Very insensitive, i wouldn't like to get him as my doctor.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt he meant to cause you genuine distress. Medics are known to have a dark sense of humour.
Send him a short message explaining how much he has upset you and why you are upset and finally ask him if he intended to upset you.
Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Jaxx, perhaps ask your brother if he is actually good material for being a Doctor as you have major doubts about his suitability. Bet that will upset him touché :)

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. I wondered if I was just overreacting. I know it was meant lighthearted but he should know better. I'm gonna send him some leaflets about diabetes lol x

Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Tell him he's a see you next Tuesday and you hope he catches something nasty from one of his patients. Then say "oh, it was just light hearted banter, like your diabetes quip"

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Light hearted banter etc at any age can be detrimental to your future... Esp on social media etc and your brother should be made aware of this (nicely). Eg... About a year ago there was the girl that was given a good paid youth commisioner position for the police... She soon lost it when the newspapers looked into her face book comments.

Your brother should realuse that stupid comments like this could come back and bite him on the ass one day...

Perhaps this should also be pointed out to your family members too that one day he may be treating diabetics who could easily look up social comments and ruin his reputation and livelihood...

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. I wondered if I was just overreacting. I know it was meant lighthearted but he should know better. I'm gonna send him some leaflets about diabetes lol x

I don't think you were overreacting, though I don't think he did it to upset you. He is still young, but I think if he is training to be a doctor he needs to be reminded gently that he should be a bit more aware and sensitive to how people might react to this kind of 'humour'. If he was making the same reference about someone's skin colour, religion, or sexuality it would have a completely different tone, and he needs to know this.

I work in mental health and did some training with students. One of the exercises was for them to think about raising awareness about MH and one of the suggestions was to have a big p*ss up with prizes for the best 'mentally ill' fancy dress! Credit to the rest of the group who were appalled, but the kid still couldn't get his head round why this was offensive! It's all about raising awareness but there will always be those who just don't get it.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Better for him to learn from making these hurtful messages now,rather than when he actually becomes the Doctor we all want to trust.
I know I may get some slang from saying this, "your brothers message is more to the point than the recent DUK message on their TV ad;"
Sorry if I have offended anyone.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i horrid thing to say. my family are just as bad

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Another option is to send him a link to this thread :)

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Need to rant here as I seem to have upset my entire family on FB lol.

My brother posted a pic of a giant cake with the tag line 'All I want for Christmas is crippling diabetes' Not one person in my family (other my mum) can understand why I'm upset about this?

I made a comment about how actually unfunny diabetes is and I have had my dad and sister both defend him?

Am I wrong in thinking that this is a disgusting remark to make when you have close family members that suffer from this terrible illness? Bear in mind he's at uni and wants to be a doctor :/

I know this sound a.petty argument but I am genuinely upset and really disappointed in my brother :(

Can understand why your annoyed. As others have said I'm sure it's not personal but to me most people blame diabetes on the diabetics lifestyle with how the media portray it!
Seeing diabetes news items and with no other knowledge of the condition you would just think they need to cut out the cakes and loose weight. Not a true or full reflection of the condition or causes but easy for the media to sell and blame