Rapid weight loss: should I be worried?

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went low carb on Monday of this week, so that's 5 full days since my diet change, so far. I'm over the moon with my blood glucose readings since doing it, but a little concerned with having lost a full half stone within this time frame.

I'm sure I've read that overly rapid weight loss isn't a particularly good thing. Then again, conventional dieting is all about reducing calories and fats rather than carbs, so maybe it's different on a low carb / keto regime.

Should I be worried about the speed at which I'm shedding weight? And if so, what should I do to slow it down? Introducing more carbs is the only thing I can think of, and I'm worried about what that'll do for my levels.

On the plus side, if I keep this up, I'll be medically overweight (rather than obese) early next week. My BMI was 31.6 when I started this, and is down to 30.6 this morning. The threshold for obesity being 30 (and morbid obesity, 40.)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rapid weight loss is normal to many diets in the first week or two. Much of the weight is fluid.
Things should slow down significantly over the next few weeks. After that, some people lose steadily, some lose in whooshing bursts, and some don’t lose further. It all depends on all sorts of hormonal stuff that may, or may not, be going on in the background, as well as food intake, what that food is, and activity levels.

just don’t be disappointed when things do slow down. It is very easy to get sidetracked into weight loss being the goal as a distraction from blood glucose control, which is, of course, more important.

well done by the way. It isn’t easy to make a big shift in eating, especially when travelling for work and staying away from home.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep an eye on your weight. Contact your gp if worried. Up your fats and proteins to slow it down.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the early stages of a low carb/ketogenic diet people often experience raid weight loss in the first days/weeks due to loss of water weight. Most people use it as a huge positive motivator its know as the "whoosh"
It however doesn't go on forever so enjoy it !
You might experience a short weight loss stall while your body acclimatises but don't worry about that either all to be expected.
Well done though!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
off to a great start!

I did, it’s mostly water weight and it should slow down a bit. If you’re weeing gallons like I did, watch your electrolytes. I had to add iodized salt to my water jug. Other water solubles are probably flushing, maybe take a multi. Otherwise you might hit keto flu.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
off to a great start!

I did, it’s mostly water weight and it should slow down a bit. If you’re weeing gallons like I did, watch your electrolytes. I had to add iodized salt to my water jug. Other water solubles are probably flushing, maybe take a multi. Otherwise you might hit keto flu.
I haven't noticed excess urination. Then again, I'm peeing a lot less since getting my blood sugar down to pre-diabetic levels. But I'll watch out for feeling fluey symptoms, and not automatically assume they're coronavirus. I take a vitamin D / calcium / magnesium / zinc tablet every day, so maybe that'll be enough to stave it off.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And as if by magic, it's come to a screeching halt. Or at least slowed down. Started on 15 stone 11lbs and now I seem to be hovering around the 15 stone 4 lbs mark, in spite of going very low carb, not going crazy on fat, and getting some exercise. In all honesty, the weight loss is a secondary consideration with respect to keeping my test results low. Consistently 6.7 and below (morning fasting and 90 minutes to 2 hours after food) for 4 days now, which I'm happy with since I only went low carb Monday of last week.

I've ordered an exercise bike for when the weather's rubbish. Though I'd still rather be out on my e-bike, exploring new places. It's amazing what you discover in your area when you start going out on a pedal cycle rather than in a car.

Reactions: JenniferM55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And as if by magic, it's come to a screeching halt. Or at least slowed down. Started on 15 stone 11lbs and now I seem to be hovering around the 15 stone 4 lbs mark, in spite of going very low carb, not going crazy on fat, and getting some exercise. In all honesty, the weight loss is a secondary consideration with respect to keeping my test results low. Consistently 6.7 and below (morning fasting and 90 minutes to 2 hours after food) for 4 days now, which I'm happy with since I only went low carb Monday of last week.

I've ordered an exercise bike for when the weather's rubbish. Though I'd still rather be out on my e-bike, exploring new places. It's amazing what you discover in your area when you start going out on a pedal cycle rather than in a car.

We made some fantastic discoveries when lockdown hit and we started walking, using the Ordnance Survey Maps App for routes. We always knew our locale was beautiful, but there have been some real gems (to us anyway) discovered along the way.

I have my mountain bike on a static trainer on a patio, under an awning, outdoors for those days when the weather is horrid, but my feet are itching. I find I can pass and hour or two, with my iPad propped in a convenient place, catching up on some TV, or radio.

When I stated my journey, I was unfussed about weight loss. I had luuuurve handles, but not too much else, so I didn't even weight myself - nor was I weighed by the HCPs. I have no idea what my weight was, but very quickly I noticed clothes getting loose, then looser still.

I eventually weighed myself just a few days before my first review. By then I was pretty trim.

I totally agree the bloods are key critical. My take was, I would rather have great control and decent blood results, with luuuurve handles than be super slim, but raging blood scores.

OK, those are each fairly extreme measures, but you get my drift.

Keep going, but please do remember that weight loss is not linear for everyone - in fact for only a few. It can tend to happen in fits and spurts, so sometimes it can seem frustrating. It sounds like you're doing just fine.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We made some fantastic discoveries when lockdown hit and we started walking, using the Ordnance Survey Maps App for routes. We always knew our locale was beautiful, but there have been some real gems (to us anyway) discovered along the way.

I have my mountain bike on a static trainer on a patio, under an awning, outdoors for those days when the weather is horrid, but my feet are itching. I find I can pass and hour or two, with my iPad propped in a convenient place, catching up on some TV, or radio.

When I stated my journey, I was unfussed about weight loss. I had luuuurve handles, but not too much else, so I didn't even weight myself - nor was I weighed by the HCPs. I have no idea what my weight was, but very quickly I noticed clothes getting loose, then looser still.

I eventually weighed myself just a few days before my first review. By then I was pretty trim.

I totally agree the bloods are key critical. My take was, I would rather have great control and decent blood results, with luuuurve handles than be super slim, but raging blood scores.

OK, those are each fairly extreme measures, but you get my drift.

Keep going, but please do remember that weight loss is not linear for everyone - in fact for only a few. It can tend to happen in fits and spurts, so sometimes it can seem frustrating. It sounds like you're doing just fine.
I thought about one of the static trainers, but discounted it for a couple of reasons. Even though I've replaced the saddle with a softer one, my bum starts to ache before my legs do, on the e-bike (and I'm only using the motor for gradients.) So I decided a recumbent exercise bike might be a better option. It should have a bit more of a pedal go-kart feel to it, I expect. I might have considered one if it'd worked with the e-bike, but they clamp to the rear axle, and the power feed for the motor goes through one side of that.

Also, post-transition, it doesn't feel right to be using a bicycle with a high crossbar. I know it sounds silly, but going back to using a men's bike feels like going back to wearing men's clothes. I've got my ex's bike (which she doesn't want back) which is the same model with a dropped crossbar, but it's in need of some repairs. The tyres have perished, and I think the chain might have rusted up again (I did free it off a couple of years ago.) They've both been stored under cover but outdoors for several years, and hers probably hasn't been used in 15-20 years.

I think the mission is to get the women's bike sorted for myself (and get back to going non-electric but with actual gears) and maybe sort out my old bike for my son. Save the e-bike for journeys that have steep hills, or for riding back from the pub without risking my driving licence.

As for the weight loss, I've still got 'overweight' rather than 'obese' in my sights (still only 5lbs away) but beyond that, I think I'll focus on my meter readings, stay very low carb, but still try to keep an eye on fats. My weight can do what it wants as long as it gets and stays below BMI 30.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I 'd agree that a lot of initial fast weight loss is from fluids. But my weight continued down very rapidly over several months and then stabilized and has remained fairly stable for six years now. Although I still should lose a fair bit more weight I'm personally not bothered as my main aim was and has been to reduce and manage my glucose levels - and as an OAP I feel the cold more so I appreciate my bit of extra insulation.

I believe at some point we'll stop losing weight as our fuel input reaches a balance with our new smaller body size's lower energy requirements, so a reduction in consumption is needed for further weight loss.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I 'd agree that a lot of initial fast weight loss is from fluids. But my weight continued down very rapidly over several months and then stabilized and has remained fairly stable for six years now. Although I still should lose a fair bit more weight I'm personally not bothered as my main aim was and has been to reduce and manage my glucose levels - and as an OAP I feel the cold more so I appreciate my bit of extra insulation.

I believe at some point we'll stop losing weight as our fuel input reaches a balance with our new smaller body size's lower energy requirements, so a reduction in consumption is needed for further weight loss.
I think everyone's body has its own natural weight, and it doesn't necessarily agree with what doctors or society say it should be. With bad eating habits you can exceed it, and with dieting you can get below it, but that's the weight it really wants to be. I think mine is about 16 to 16.5 stone.

The heaviest I ever got 18.5 stone and the lightest I've ever been (as an adult) is about 15, maybe 14.5. That was the best I was ever able to achieve on low calorie diets (let's see if low carb is any better) and I'd invariably get to around 15, find that starving myself wasn't working, give up and go back to my old eating habits. My ideal weight is a, to me, totally unrealistic 12.5. Still, let's see what this low carb thing can do over time.

It seems that if I eat what I want, I tend to maintain around 16 stone, these days. I was actually quite happy with that, until my type 2 diagnosis and the need to fixate with blood sugar and weight loss came along.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still, let's see what this low carb thing can do over time.

You might be surprised.. I now wear smaller waist trousers than I did when I was 20.

My BMI is still classed as "overweight" 27.7 but when I started this journey it was 43.5

Most of that has been achieved relatively effortlessly (well a few extended fasts) but certainly not with any increase in exercise (apart from 6 mad months when a gym briefly beckoned, a relationship that didn't last long!).

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I think everyone's body has its own natural weight, and it doesn't necessarily agree with what doctors or society say it should be.

partially true, the body gets accustomed to being a certain weight and will try to maintain that weight. However that accustomed weight can be changed (up or down) simply by managing to maintain a higher or lower weight for a few months while eating normally.

The heaviest I ever got 18.5 stone and the lightest I've ever been (as an adult) is about 15, maybe 14.5. That was the best I was ever able to achieve on low calorie diets (let's see if low carb is any better) and I'd invariably get to around 15, find that starving myself wasn't working, give up and go back to my old eating habits. My ideal weight is a, to me, totally unrealistic 12.5. Still, let's see what this low carb thing can do over time.

Never try to lose weight on Low carb by starving yourself - it s counter productive!
LCHF is a Way of Eating - not a diet. It is meant to be the way you can eat for the rest of your life, stay healthy and control both your BG and your weight.

It seems that if I eat what I want, I tend to maintain around 16 stone, these days. I was actually quite happy with that, until my type 2 diagnosis and the need to fixate with blood sugar and weight loss came along.

I'm sorry to have to tell you, but unless you are very tall then if you do LCHF correctly to control your BG you will almost certainly drop below 16 stone! Then you will have to choose between good control of your BG and being as big as you prefer!

I only had a BMI or 25 when I started LCHF. Initially I actually increased my calories at first due to replacing about one third of my Carbs with fat and another third with extra Protein since I was on ultra Low Fat on doctors advice before that.

Despite that I have lost 25lbs and at 69yrs old I have not been down at this weight since I was in my early twenties.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry to have to tell you, but unless you are very tall then if you do LCHF correctly to control your BG you will almost certainly drop below 16 stone! Then you will have to choose between good control of your BG and being as big as you prefer!

I only had a BMI or 25 when I started LCHF. Initially I actually increased my calories at first due to replacing about one third of my Carbs with fat and another third with extra Protein since I was on ultra Low Fat on doctors advice before that.

Despite that I have lost 25lbs and at 69yrs old I have not been down at this weight since I was in my early twenties.
The thought of losing weight doesn't bother me. I'd just made peace with the size that I was, and while I don't want to get any fatter, I've rarely been fixated with getting any thinner, and I'm not, now. BMI < 30 (from 30.5 right now) and tipping myself into the 'overweight' rather than 'obese' band is a reasonable goal, I think. Whatever weight I end up being, in the sub BMI 30 range, I'll be perfectly content with. And keeping below 30 is more of a health than an aesthetic thing.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
partially true, the body gets accustomed to being a certain weight and will try to maintain that weight. However that accustomed weight can be changed (up or down) simply by managing to maintain a higher or lower weight for a few months while eating normally.

Never try to lose weight on Low carb by starving yourself - it s counter productive!
LCHF is a Way of Eating - not a diet. It is meant to be the way you can eat for the rest of your life, stay healthy and control both your BG and your weight.

I haven't. Several of us on here haven't lost much weight, even after years of low carbing.