re reversal of type 2 diabetes

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
This is worth reading Patch, from the GI newsletter and their opinion on the "CURE".
It's not possible to live your life on Optifast or similar products.

Bit harsh if your a Peg feeder ?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
catherinecherub said:
Agreed Patch. The article also agrees that you would still have to have diabetes checks for the possible progression of the condition.

You could always become a tennis pro and then you could eat 6,000 calories per day. :lol: :lol: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ds-newsxml

My matches last up to 2 hours - I only drink water while playing. My blood sugar is normally above 7 by the time I finish. When I don't play, it falls below 6.

==========

Why ever did they not include a restricted carb group? My results show similar improvements, sustained over 3 years. I don't get hungry & don't need medical supervision, nor do I risk the problems of insufficient calories & nutrients.

It seems as if the project was set up in such a way that only professionals could control & interpret, with all that scanning equipment. And instead of a generally applicable diet, we see the usual DUK health warning against anything that helps:
"DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!"

Diabetes UK strongly recommends that such a drastic diet should only be undertaken under medical supervision.

What will our HCPs say when 1,000,000 diabetics approach them with a request for that diet??

The supervision necessary will cost them a fortune. Why not just ditch the DUK high carb diet & eat sensibly. All we need is test strips (on prescription!) & bathroom scales.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Ian,

I think the people they picked needed to control their diabetes and had been diabetic for less than 4 years. It makes me think that anyone above the 4 year criteria possibly would have a greater difficulty in finding that this method would work for them.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
bowell said:
This is worth reading Patch, from the GI newsletter and their opinion on the "CURE".
It's not possible to live your life on Optifast or similar products.

Bit harsh if your a Peg feeder ?

Whoever wrote that has obviously never seen "The Human Centipede".

(DON'T, and I mean DON'T, google "The Human Centipede" if you are squimish... :twisted: )

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
My fingers are itching....I feel a case of googleitis coming on...

bowell

Dislikes
No offence meant bowell and I apologise if it upset you.

Non taken :wink:
lucky mine was removed at 8 weeks when able to swallow again
still kept on liquid oral feed for further 2 weeks slowly replacing
this with solid food

Bob

bowell

Dislikes
diabetic for less than 4 years. It makes me think that anyone above the 4 year criteria possibly would have a greater difficulty in finding that this method would work for them.

Most of us T2s have had this for a few years before diagnoses
eg I went into hospital left side semi paralyzed BG 35ish
I was told must have had this for 3<>4 years before ?

on paper I am 4 year diabetic or should it really say 8 year

Bob

Toms Grandma

LiterLife do a very low calorie diet, Type 2's can do it. You have to be at least 3 stone overweight. It works if you stick to it, but it is very expensive. They give you all your food (drinks and soups) plus you join a group who meet every week to talk about eating issues. You also have to get permission from your GP and be monitored. It does work, I lost 4 1/2 stone in 4 months. I felt amazing the whole time I was on it. That was 10 years ago and I did put weight back on. Not all I lost but 3 stone of it. Since being diagnosed with Type 2 I have dropped 2 stone in weight by cutting out carbs...it is not easy but necessary and my way of getting the weight off. Literlife is not a fad diet as such, it works and some have said it has even had a very positive effect on diabetes. So I would say, it is worth looking at......yes to begin with it is not easy, but then what is? Having diabetes is not easy.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a few friends (non-diabetics) that have had great success with LighterLife...

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Not squeamish but not going there, Patch.
I do think that Optifast is on the shelves in chemists here in the land of Oz. I could check them out if you wish and price it with postage to the UK. Think our dollar is soaring at the moment though.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Nobody so far seems to have posted one of the key facts in the comments from the article:

Eleven people with type 2 diabetes (49.5±2.5y, BMI 33.6±1.2, 9M/2F)

Which I take to mean people between 47 and 52 with a BMI between 32.4 and 34.8.

As stated upthread, this specific diet is to clear fat out of the liver and pancreas.

The most interesting result is that some passed the glucose tolerance test afterwards.

So unless you fall within that age and weight range then this may not be applicable.

The major difference I see from a tightly controlled low carb diet is that I don't think I have seen anyone posting about a low carb diet stating that they can pass the glucose tolerance test - mainly I think if they deviate from the diet their blood sugar goes all over the place.

I would be interested to know if people who have achieved partial control through diet and exercise can also cleanse their liver and pancreas by a short term low calorie diet or if this only applies to people in a certain age range and weight range.

Certainly a 'crash diet' to get some more weight off becomes more bearable if you also have the chance of reviving your pancreas!

Cheers

LGC

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Having now gone into research mode:

From http://www.everydiet.org/diet/cambridge-diet

The Cambridge Diet is a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) and is made up of pre-packaged foods. The foods have been formulated to provide precise amounts of vitamins, nutrients and calories – and are available as sachets (shakes or soups), bars, or “brix”.

The daily calorie levels start as low as 415-500 calories per day. After a period of time (a maximum of 4 weeks), the calorie levels are upped (first to 790, then to 1,000 calories per day).

It is essential that copious amounts of water are drunk during the diet to avoid dehydration.
A Risky Endeavor

The Cambridge Diet should be used only under the guidance of a medical practitioner In the UK, the diet is only available through accredited counselors and to people with a BMI above 25.

Despite research confirming the benefits of VLCD’s they should only be used under medical supervision. Exercise cannot be maintained (except for very low intensity exercise) during the diet, and additional fiber may be required to prevent constipation.

Be very careful with the Cambridge Diet.

This doesn't really tally with the review of the Optifast diet which is much more positive.

The other interesting thing is that as I currently (this morning) have a BMI of 24.39 I would have to bulk up a bit before I could start this diet!
What?
How is it diffferent to spend say 5 weeks on the diet starting at BMI of 25 or 4 weeks starting and BMI 24?

However the generally intriguing thing about this topic is the suggestion that a short term sever diet can cleanse your liver and pancreas.

Cheers

LGC