1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reactive Hypoglycaemia

Discussion in 'Reactive Hypoglycemia' started by Lamont D, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

hi and welcome! :)

I can see how very low carbing as a low fibre vegetarian will have its own set of difficulties!
    And a lot of that will depend on how low fibre and how low carb...

are chia seeds too fibre-y for you? Only chia seed puddings are great, if made low carb.
    how about tofu scrambles or yoghurt for breakfast? Or avocado and mozzarella?
    Golden milk? Coffee with cream or coconut oil?

My best breakfasts don’t happen at all.
    By that I mean that if I skip breakfast completely (just a hot drink with a smidge of cream in it), my blood glucose stays beautifully steady until I do eat - which was 3pm yesterday.

2. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Hi, and welcome to our forum.
    Having read your post, I have come to the conclusion that you are completely different to me. Because everything you can't eat, I do and vice versa. My daily intake is mostly meat, protein, eggs, and salad vegetables, with a few added tomatoes, small portions of fruit, mushrooms, onions.
    Most of my meals are cooked fresh, some batched and frozen, like soup, curries and of course all very low carb.
    However, as is pointed out, that most of my food intake is late afternoon, early evening. I use intermittent fasting, because my body tells me that if I want a good day and plenty of energy, then not eating is the simplest, easiest way to start the day.
    If you don't mind, what is your fasting blood glucose reading before breakfast?
    What tests have you had?

RH is a condition that is caused by food or drink that is too quick to turn to glucose.
    Hypos are the result of eating those foods.
    We are all different, we do need to find our own dietary needs.
    Have a read of the low carb forum, there are some great ideas and recipes.

Do read the threads on the forum, any questions, we will try and help.

Best wishes

3. SarahTee

SarahTee · Member

Thanks, Lamont D. We are opposites! I can drop the vegetarianism if necessary, but the restrictions from my bowel op are non-negotiable unfortunately, and that does make things hard.

I don't usually feel hungry at breakfast time so I might try ditching breakfast next week and see how that goes.

I will check out that forum thread for ideas. Thank you for taking the time to write such a helpful and detailed reply – much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Sarah

4. SarahTee

SarahTee · Member

Hello Brunneria,
    Thanks very much for your reply. I had forgotten about tofu scramble and I will definitely give that a try this week. If that doesn't help I will try no breakfast, as I don't usually feel hungry first thing.
    Cheers,
    Sarah

5. SarahTee

SarahTee · Member

I forgot to ask – how long is a reasonable trial period to see whether lowering carbohydrate helps? Would 2 weeks be long enough to see a difference?

(Sorry I haven't gone into detail about which tests/investigations I've had or my symptoms. It's all a bit complicated at the moment and I don't have all the test info to hand. Plus a few things are pending because everyone is on holiday now in Australia. I just thought trying a different diet is something I can do myself in the meantime.)

6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the timescales vary from person to person, and there are a number of things in play.

if someone drops their carbs from high to low sharply, and ‘goes keto’ then they may experience a few symptoms called ‘keto flu’ while their body adapts. Nothing to worry about, and easily dealt with. Others breeze right through with no such symptoms.

So RH symptoms may ease quickly (in my case, as short as a couple of days), but there could be other things going on during the transition. My body certainly had to adjust to steady bg levels after so long with wildly swinging ones. Hunger at weird times, headaches, carb cravings, and so on.

most transitional symptoms can be dealt with easily with a big glass of water or a hot drink. A bit of salt on your food, and eating good, unprocessed food with enough protein and fat to keep the hunger at bay and drip feed steady blood glucose levels.

good luck, and let us know how things go? :)

Ed for a typo

#1466 Brunneria, Dec 31, 2019 at 8:23 AM
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  7. SarahTee

SarahTee · Member

Th
    Thank you, that's very helpful. I think I'll do it in stages. I only get the postprandial symptoms after breakfast and lunch, so I'll change those meals first. Then once I've got used to that and worked out a few recipes I'll change the rest.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook