Reactive Hypoglycaemia

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for all of your good advice and for taking time to welcome me and respond. I will keep watching the thread and definitely look at the low carb forum. It is nice to know that there is somewhere to communicate with people with the same diagnosis. Which sort of RH do you have ? You mentioned types?
I have Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia.
Which and it might sound similar, is I go hypo after eating if I spike high.
This usually happens after three hours for me.
So I eat between 6-8 very small meals a day!
I low carb drastically and in ketosis.

If you look at the Wikipedia page on RH, there is a good source of information and its the most up to date other than my blog no. 31, link is below.

@Brunneria is a different type and is also T2 as well.
We also have others, one who has dumping syndrome I believe.
But we are individually unique in our diagnosis and one type doesn't mean differences!

Smamfa

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I seem to do the same as you, I eat then blood sugars spike, sometimes within a very short time after eating and then they drop, quickly. I have looked a Wikipedia and I will look at your Blog too. Thank you muchly

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thanks Brun re the stir fry sauce I will get some in :)

Welcome smamfa! I am new here too xx

Reactions: 2 people

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I have a type of postprandial syndrome which is connected to reactive hypoglycaemia. I spoke after carbs and then drop and if severe the drop seems to make me faint and I have a drop in blood pressure. All a bit weird!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a type of postprandial syndrome which is connected to reactive hypoglycaemia. I spoke after carbs and then drop and if severe the drop seems to make me faint and I have a drop in blood pressure. All a bit weird!

Weird is what we all do in our unique club!

Reactions: 4 people

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
2 hours post dinner my bg is 5.3 I know I should eat soon but I am not hungry! What to do. Might try and stretch to three hours

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Weird question but does anyone else get indigestion two to three hours after eating which is eased by eating?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, stretch it a little more, keep an eye on your bloods every so often
2 hours post dinner my bg is 5.3 I know I should eat soon but I am not hungry! What to do. Might try and stretch to three hours
Weird question but does anyone else get indigestion two to three hours after eating which is eased by eating?

Not personally for a long time since my hiatus hernia cleared up.
Not the whole story but low carb will help.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Me too smamfa very loud gurgling sounds! Sometimes when I am in bed it keeps me awake. Hypothyroid patients routinely have low stomach acid and I sometimes wonder if this contributes. Does anyone take digestive enzymes?

Smamfa

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Linagirl Do you have hypothyroidism too? I do not have this issue though I have always had a very loud digestive system. I do not take anything other than Vitamin D supplements each day as I was very Vitamin D deficient.

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't have digestive issues but do have hypothyroidism and vitamin D deficiency.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Bg 5.5 now at plus 3 hours. Not hungry but tummy gurgling so I think I will
Need to eat soon xx

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I test to 6 hours sometimes and still don't hypo. Weirdly my stomach rarely rumbles. Hypos are so random. I've tried to recreate sinarios and it doesn't happen. just to test why and know how to prevent it. Then pop out of the blue there it is.
I've spent so many years trying to figure out what it is.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Yeah I have been hypothyroid since 23 am now 41. Looking back I think i have had carb issues for years. I did slimming world diet for a few years and could only ever lose weight on red days so I knew then carbs affected me. I honestly think it's what has prevented my weight loss for years.

I am vit d deficient and take a supplement.

With hypothyroidism be very careful with what your docs tell you the tag range in this country is significantly broader than now accepted in the U.S. And say if the range range is 0-5 and you are 4,9 you will be told you are fine. Clearly you are not fine and are on the very edge of being ill. Thankfully my case was clear cut so I had no problem being diagnosed but my nan had borderline results all her life and they would never diagnose her despite her having all the symptoms and every other female member of our family having hypothyroidism ( think we have had around 11 at last count)

Not saying everyone has it but as is usual these days ask for your results and do your own research as endocrinology is all inextricably linked and insulin resistance is a common trait in hypot patients

Emma

Reactions: 5 people

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Pretty much the same I'm 41 and discovered it after my first child at 24. Tested through next pregnancy only tsh tested since no t4 t3 antibodies. Even though all symptoms. Not too bad recently i assume. Discovered vit d this year as constantly asleep and couldn't lift myself off floor. I can walk with a stride now but still can't jump.
I always got these lightheaded lows doing weight watchers I assume looking back the small portions.

Smamfa

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Every test I have had for whatever they have tested are always borderline but within normal ranges. I will ask about my TSH next time I go. Thank you! I have quite low HBA1c results though not sure what is low for " normal ".

Smamfa

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I am opposite and never been able to gain weight. I have always been slim and I am tall too which makes me appear slimmer. I have read that There is a correlation between slim, lean people too.

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Smamfa me to borderline everything. Retest fasting and during pregnancy blaming it on smoothies. I could kick myself had a gtt years ago supposed to be 6 hours I did 5 and didn't tell the nurse. She asked how i felt and being shy said fine even though not thought it was a general are you ok question. RH relys on symptoms as well as blood sugar count.