ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1447439418.854012.jpg

Thought this was interesting

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does anyone have any thoughts on this please...
I have a soup recipe book that using one basic homemade veg stock for all the soups. The stock has parsnips, swede, carrots and other veg. Now I know that root vegetables are quite high in carbs, but in this case they're only used to flavour the stock. Would this be ok? Sorry if this is a silly question!

Because you are only using very little of the vegetable itself, you should be ok, but as we keep saying, we are all different, so test before and 2 hours later. I do similar but not carrots or Swede!

Reactions: 2 people

lindisfel

Expert
My dearly beloved keeps the steamer water from cooking brocolli, peppers, cauliflower and kale and uses this as a base. She then puts a lot of above ground veg minced up in the soup mix. Peppers and herbs plus onion and garlic also added.
I usually add some chick peas but one does have to watch the quantity they can lift b.g.
regards
Derek

Reactions: 5 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning guys, hope you're all enjoying the weekend?

Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong this morning please.

I got up a little later than usual after a bad night with my daughter. Had breakfast at 8.35 instead of my usual 8am. Didn't check my fasting bg but felt OK. Not too shaky for saying I was late eating. Had my usual breakfast of Greek yogurt, berries and almonds. cleaned the bathroom about 40 mins later and came over all hot, shaky and light headed. Checked my bg and it was 4.9. My heart was racing at about 130bpm and my blood pressure a little raised at 130/80.

Any ideas why this might of happened? I've had a peanut protein bar and water but still feel hot and not right. I appreciate your not medically trained but do have much first hand experience x

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Kaz261 I have no idea. I can only suggest that the body doesn't like change in routine even if its needed sleep. I wonder if because of the longer sleep your blood sugar was lower than you thought and the extra work used it up, so blood sugar went down and blood pressure up?
I only get rare weekends to rest so I had a lie in yesterday til 11, did some housework and fell asleep at 3 for nearly 2 hours and then again for half hour at 6. I felt generally awful all day. Today much better thank goodness. I'm definitely asking dr for more blood tests.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have often thought that disruptive sleep has a bearing on your well feeling through the day, a good restful undisturbed. (I wish!) sleep does wonders not only only how you feel but on your blood glucose levels.
It doesn't help, when you are going hyper, hypo, hyper, hypo, through the day and night. Fluctuating blood glucose levels do significantly contribute to a restless night, especially when I was in hypo hell, the weird dreams and nightly traumatic sleeplessness, would make me certainly more unwell and with that the diversity in symptoms and whatever follows, the anger, frustration and all the rest and including obviously, tiredness, lethargy, brain fog and forgetfulness!
Since going low carb and not getting the hypos, the rest followed on, sleep would be restful, less dreams, and the well being is back, when I'm tired, it's a good tired.
Sleep is a big huge part of health management and when you get it right, as I have, the benefits are apparent! I still have to use the loo a couple of times a night, but I climb back into bed and fall asleep again.
No more staring at the walls at three in the morning cos you know, even though you're knackered, sleep won't come and the weird dreams are thankfully few and far between!
It's all part and parcel of this condition. Control and not going hyper then hypo is so important!

Reactions: 8 people

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Totally agree nosher. I have never slept well and since the kids sleep worse. I find it hard to get to sleep at night and wake up at least once or twice, sometimes for a couple of hours. Its awful. And yes I feel worse when I've had less sleep for a few days. Sometimes I regret the lie in but by that point my body needs it. Vicious circle.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearest to me is in Chester!

Lol!

I'm replying here before reading to the end of the thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating anyone else, but Lidl do rye bread, if you have one. Our new Sainsburys also does it in their artisan bread area.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I'm guessing it might have been the energy cleaning as well Kaz as I know I can get shaky if I do a lot. I had a 7.5 reading an hour after a chicken salad tonight and was a bit concerned by it. I did make a dressing with a half teaspoon of honey in it but that wS across all of us. Have just checked again and it's 6.1 so hopefully I'm doing ok xx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm replying here before reading to the end of the thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating anyone else, but Lidl do rye bread, if you have one. Our new Sainsburys also does it in their artisan bread area.
There is a Sainsbury close to me, so ill have a look in there.
Thank you!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm guessing it might have been the energy cleaning as well Kaz as I know I can get shaky if I do a lot. I had a 7.5 reading an hour after a chicken salad tonight and was a bit concerned by it. I did make a dressing with a half teaspoon of honey in it but that wS across all of us. Have just checked again and it's 6.1 so hopefully I'm doing ok xx
That will all be the honey, it is pure sugar and turns to glucose rapidly! You do have to be careful of all dressings.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. I think I must have been lower than I thought. My breakfast doesn't normally spike me so therefore I shouldn't have hypo'd? 4.9 is well within a normal range, so I still don't understand why a bit of cleaning would make me feel the way it did?

I guess I'll get the hang of my malfunctioning body one day! In the meantime I suppose more regular checking is needed to keep me safe and well xx

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks all. I think I must have been lower than I thought. My breakfast doesn't normally spike me so therefore I shouldn't have hypo'd? 4.9 is well within a normal range, so I still don't understand why a bit of cleaning would make me feel the way it did?

I guess I'll get the hang of my malfunctioning body one day! In the meantime I suppose more regular checking is needed to keep me safe and well xx
You don't have to spike to get the drop. Using energy uses up the blood sugar and therefore you go low. Any form of exercise can do it and stress. I used to hypo at my old job packing boxes and my dad in the evening after a day of gardening, fine at the time but come night time a hypo. Dads a type1.

Reactions: 6 people

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
That will all be the honey, it is pure sugar and turns to glucose rapidly! You do have to be careful of all dressings.
Thanks Nosher I'll stick with olive oil and lemon juice in future. Must have spiked And dropped as had a cracking headache after