Reactive Hypoglycemia and menstration

Katerinax

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for this odd question but do any ladies with RH find their BG is more unpredictable and erratic during menstruation?

Mine specifically drops quite dramatically and becomes harder to manage with more lows but equal spikes.

Usually I'll spike to around 9-11ish after certain meals which is also still true at that time

My fastings are usually between 5.4-6.4, highest 6.7. However just before menstruation I find mine drops to between 4-5 but with that it will be more erratic and drop after things I can normally tolerate. And drop in to multiple lows during sleep, I find it hard to control during these times.

Does anyone else experience this?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not an answer to your question, as I don't have RH, but I do find my BG's are often lower (leading to surprise hypos on my usual doses of insulin) just around the start of my period. Other diabetics find it makes them go high.
So even if we don't have the same condition, it makes sense to expect your periods affect things for you.

Tagging @Brunneria , who might have some more information for you.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Serious alert!
Man talking about women's things!

As an overall levels you quote are still within normal, but you are still getting the symptoms, if not worse!
Sorry for this odd question but do any ladies with RH find their BG is more unpredictable and erratic during menstruation?

Mine specifically drops quite dramatically and becomes harder to manage with more lows but equal spikes.

Usually I'll spike to around 9-11ish after certain meals which is also still true at that time

My fastings are usually between 5.4-6.4, highest 6.7. However just before menstruation I find mine drops to between 4-5 but with that it will be more erratic and drop after things I can normally tolerate. And drop in to multiple lows during sleep, I find it hard to control during these times.

The problems is your hormones, and because of the different influences that the hormones in your blood has an effect on your blood glucose levels and how you feel.
You get this but maybe not as bad as your experiencing now.
This is very similar to having an infection or colds and flu.

The only thing I can suggest is those foods you can tolerate usually, will have to wait until you feel comfortable eating them again.
It is a problem for all of us in some ways, you will get experience of being in better control, as the understanding of what happens after eating. Be patient, and if you are taking pain killers, the safest drug is paracetamol, the reason for this, is that the majority of over the counter drugs contain too much sugar or the like, which means more than likely a reaction.
You will get there. Best wishes.

I apologise for sticking my male opinion into your thread.