reading labels

annette57

Dislikes
strawberries cold days dark nights rudenness and theives
whats the best book anyone read regarding reading labels on food cans and understanding the grams and weight we have nowadays and portion sizes how do i relate

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

There are books on contents of food which list by weight. Usually things like calories, protein, carbohydrates etc..

Are you looking to count a certain food group in foods such as carbohydrates?

Reading labels is very straight foward once you know how. Books are often used when food is not packaged.

The books are particlarly useful when eating away from home.

Most labels will detail either per pack or per 100g.

For example if you wanted to know the carbohydrate content of a packaged food, you would look at the total carbohydrates (ignore the 'of which sugar' part) so if something had 20g of carb per 100g and the whole pack weight 300g. you know that there are 3x100g so you would multiply 20g x 3 to get a total content of 60g

If something had 20g of carb per 100g but only weighed an odd amount like 37g you would divide 20g by 100g so you had the amount of carb per 1g then multiply by 17g;

20 / 100 = 0.20 .... 0.20 x 37 = 7.4. so thats your total.

It's the same concept for fat or calories.

I hope this answers some of your question.

Pneu

Annette,

There are also loads of useful resources on-line... and Google is your friend!

When I first started carb-counting I would often Google how many carbs were in a pepper or an onion etc... I have a crib sheet I made at home on my cupboard now for all the veg and weighed items I use regularly and below that a set of scales.. makes cooking a lot quicker and easier!

After a while you will just get to know the values off the top of your head.. for instance I can tell you that ASDA baby new potatoes are 15.4g per 100g carbs :)

LaughingHyena

I like the carbs and cals book for carb counting. It's pictures of different portion sizes of various food with thier weight, calories and carb grams listed. I do check the packets for bread and things as it is only an average but it's good when eating out. Better than my blind guessing anyway.

For a lot of things I use the tesco website, as they have the nutritional info from the packets on thier. One day I will get the hang of reading the packet before tearing it open, or at least not tearing the part I need to read. :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
LaughingHyena said:
I like the carbs and cals book for carb counting. It's pictures of different portion sizes of various food with thier weight, calories and carb grams listed. I do check the packets for bread and things as it is only an average but it's good when eating out. Better than my blind guessing anyway.

For a lot of things I use the tesco website, as they have the nutritional info from the packets on thier. One day I will get the hang of reading the packet before tearing it open, or at least not tearing the part I need to read. :)

I did that the other day!

But i didn't rip it i'd put it in the bin! whilst i was away cooking and rustling about my nana took the rubbish out.

Thankgod for google :lol: