Realised there’s nothing I enjoy eating..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I’d wondered if this day would come and it seems it has.
If I ignore taste buds that seem “off” (May or may not be down to one/several/all of the seven different meds I take) I realised today that food has simply lost its allure.
Salad I had for lunch went, partially eaten, into the bin. Came home, looked at the variety on offer, chose to eat none of it. And it’s been like that for a few days now.
Looked at various websites for inspiration, came away empty handed. Absolutely nothing seems remotely appetising.
I am forcing myself to take in nutrition for the sake of taking in nutrition and I simply can’t do it anymore. I can’t eat foods that, well, to be honest, turn my stomach more than fill it.
I can’t cook; can’t follow recipes and my partner doesn’t want to cook- she’s not diabetic so eats what she wants when she wants, not exactly helping the cause lol..

I am just so off food..

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t cook; can’t follow recipes and my partner doesn’t want to cook- she’s not diabetic so eats what she wants when she wants, not exactly helping the cause lol..
In general, maybe over the past month, how are you getting your meals if you dont cook, and she doesnt cook for you? This info may give us some clues as to how to help you.

Reactions: Patrick66

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Seven meds? Maybe read through all the possible side effects they have and see if there's one or more that are causing this, then talk to your doctor about it.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
In general, maybe over the past month, how are you getting your meals if you dont cook, and she doesnt cook for you? This info may give us some clues as to how to help you.
I stuck a chop under the grill. Throw veg in a saucepan. Not cooking..at least not to my mind.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Seven meds? Maybe read through all the possible side effects they have and see if there's one or more that are causing this, then talk to your doctor about it.
None of them seem to mention appetite. Vague waffling about weight gain and weight loss, sometimes with the same drug. And constipation and diarrhoea...which seems a little difficult to manage at once..

I think it’s just me to be honest.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A chop and veges? Seems like cooking and eating to me.
Maybe vary it by stir frying the veges and adding a small pinch of a culinary herb or maybe spices if you like them.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To me, a plain chop and some boiled veg is completely unappetising. I would rather have a strong piece of cheese, a few slices of good quality ham, maybe a yogurt with some berries, a tasty piece of salmon covered in butter and herbs, an omelette with bacon, chillis and cheese, etc. All virtually fast food but with some actual taste. Maybe you could choose meals that consist of 2 or 3 tasty 'snacks' instead of a traditional meat & two veg array? With veg, chuck it all in a casserole dish, pour some olive oil and a handful of herbs in it, stick it in the oven for 40 minutes, that really gives the veg a lovely almost sweet taste, stick some cooked chicken on top. Maybe try it for a week or so and see how you go?

Reactions: EllieM

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A chop and veges? Seems like cooking and eating to me.
Maybe vary it by stir frying the veges and adding a small pinch of a culinary herb or maybe spices if you like them.
I didn’t eat. Can’t do spices.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To me, a plain chop and some boiled veg is completely unappetising. I would rather have a strong piece of cheese, a few slices of good quality ham, maybe a yogurt with some berries, a tasty piece of salmon covered in butter and herbs, an omelette with bacon, chillis and cheese, etc. All virtually fast food but with some actual taste. Maybe you could choose meals that consist of 2 or 3 tasty 'snacks' instead of a traditional meat & two veg array? With veg, chuck it all in a casserole dish, pour some olive oil and a handful of herbs in it, stick it in the oven for 40 minutes, that really gives the veg a lovely almost sweet taste, stick some cooked chicken on top. Maybe try it for a week or so and see how you go?
I have cheese and ham for lunch..as part of a dire salad.

Can’t do chilli or herbs/spices.

Oh, and no Salmon. Just no.

In honesty I’m just not into food. Even the thought of it makes me nauseous.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hello Patrick,
Seems like you have hit a bit of a block with food. Am aware of autism affecting your food choices, which makes it more difficult for you.
Perhaps this is a time to consider not eating?
To do a deliberate fast?
Maybe 24 hours without food would waken your appetite.
best wishes Liz

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have cheese and ham for lunch..as part of a dire salad.

Can’t do chilli or herbs/spices.

Oh, and no Salmon. Just no.

In honesty I’m just not into food. Even the thought of it makes me nauseous.

Sorry Patrick, I don't know what else any of us can suggest. Maybe see your Doctor about it? x

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello Patrick,
Seems like you have hit a bit of a block with food. Am aware of autism affecting your food choices, which makes it more difficult for you.
Perhaps this is a time to consider not eating?
To do a deliberate fast?
Maybe 24 hours without food would waken your appetite.
best wishes Liz
I do fast quite frequently. Went 24 hours without food last week and 18 at the weekend. It didn’t seem to work.
I just don’t feel like food is enjoyable.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry Patrick, I don't know what else any of us can suggest. Maybe see your Doctor about it? x
Ah, can’t see them for three weeks as it’s not an emergency.

Just have to exist as best I can.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You sound a bit like me Patrick. I am a cr*p cook too. You have my sympathy’s there.

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I have cooked more in the last month than I have in the previous twenty years. I’m not good, nothing I cook takes more than 7 minutes but it’s tasty and I like it. Why not think of the food you used to enjoy and adapt it for your diet? Also try using big flavours to kickstart your tastebuds. If you really can’t face eating then maybe snacking is worth a try, little and often maybe. Hope you feel better soon

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, can’t see them for three weeks as it’s not an emergency.

Just have to exist as best I can.
not being able to eat, and the nausea is an emergency. Have you not got a sense of taste? or smell? just wondering about the herbs/spices thing - are they too strong for you, or is it a different issue?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I have cooked more in the last month than I have in the previous twenty years. I’m not good, nothing I cook takes more than 7 minutes but it’s tasty and I like it. Why not think of the food you used to enjoy and adapt it for your diet? Also try using big flavours to kickstart your tastebuds. If you really can’t face eating then maybe snacking is worth a try, little and often maybe. Hope you feel better soon
Thank you

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being able to eat, and the nausea is an emergency. Have you not got a sense of taste? or smell? just wondering about the herbs/spices thing - are they too strong for you, or is it a different issue?
It’s all a sensory thing.

I’m eating but just not very much.