Really Struggling to get BS Down

Lizzeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have been Type 2 for 20 years and managed reasonably well. My last couple of 6 monthly HBAIC have varied between 99 and 127.

Doc put me on more meds and I changed my diet completely. I have gone low carb (80g daily). Tried VLC and that was just a nightmare for me. I stick to 1600 calories a day. The problem is that my BS is not dropping as I would expect it to.

I tend to be around the 15 mark in the morning. It does come down during the day but rarely go below 10 when I test.

My Doctor or Dietician don't really support a low carb diet but how else am I supposed to get my bloods down?

I am also not losing much weight either. I have a BMI of 26 so just overweight. I am 52 so also wondering if I am perimenopausal (a few symptoms but not suffering much).

I am just not sure what to do next. Doc says the next step is insulin which I could do without. She also says that there isn't much more I can do, it is just my genetics.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Lizzeeee , I’m sorry you are struggling with your blood sugars at the moment. Could you give us an example of a typical days food for you, so we can try to help with any further modifications that might help you?

Reactions: EllieM and Lizzeeee

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There are a lot of tips about coping with low carb, and research shows that while going low carb soon after diagnosis makes it easier to get into remission it is never to late to improve your BS.
Apart from letting us know what you eat, when do you test?

The dawn phenomenon means that our early morning/fasting BS is the last to go down to a better level so improvements to post meal BS is a good start.

Reactions: Lizzeeee

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Since I realised that it was good of certain types of food that was causing my illness, I have an intolerance to these foods.
One of the things most doctors, dieticians and d sns don't tell you, is that our portion sizes are too big. Our number of meals, snacks, bites and treats, just exacerbate the amount of insulin required to deal with the glucose derived from all that food! I would suppose, that because you are struggling that you have insulin resistance, which means higher spikes and more insulin created.

Let us know your average daily intake, it may help you understand it more!

Lizzeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys:

07.30: 20g of porridge made with water, 1 tbs chia seeds, 10g almonds and 50g of Kvarg High Protein Yogurt
10:30: Babybel Light Cheese x 1
12:30: Subway Roast Chicken Salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, sweetcorn, bell peppers
16:00 Granny Smith Apple
18:30: Stir Fry (mushrooms, peppers, red onion, chicken, cauliflower rice)
20:00: 2 poached eggs and 2 slices of seriously low carb bread

I have swapped all bread for seriously low carb bread and all pasta to slim pasta and all rice to cauliflower. I have no trouble getting in my 5 a day and now have more vegetables than fruit. I stick to granny smith applies, raspberries and blueberries.

I know I could improve my breakfast. I have tried scrambled eggs, etc but get really hungry and narky by about 9am.

Reactions: MaviesDavies2

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys:

07.30: 20g of porridge made with water, 1 tbs chia seeds, 10g almonds and 50g of Kvarg High Protein Yogurt
10:30: Babybel Light Cheese x 1
12:30: Subway Roast Chicken Salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, sweetcorn, bell peppers
16:00 Granny Smith Apple
18:30: Stir Fry (mushrooms, peppers, red onion, chicken, cauliflower rice)
20:00: 2 poached eggs and 2 slices of seriously low carb bread

I have swapped all bread for seriously low carb bread and all pasta to slim pasta and all rice to cauliflower. I have no trouble getting in my 5 a day and now have more vegetables than fruit. I stick to granny smith applies, raspberries and blueberries.

I know I could improve my breakfast. I have tried scrambled eggs, etc but get really hungry and narky by about 9am.

Your diet looks pretty good to me but there are a few tweaks that might help a little. As you’ve noted porridge is not the best breakfast. I eat keto coconut ‘porridge’ for breakfast, very filling but low carb, I eat it with a few strawberries.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge
May be a few changes in your fruit and veg, berries are the lowest carb fruits, have a look here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits
And veggies here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables
Sweetcorn doesn’t appear in the veg graphic, I guess because it is strictly a grain, but the clue is in the name, it is not the best veg to eat on low carb.

Lizzeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your diet looks pretty good to me but there are a few tweaks that might help a little. As you’ve noted porridge is not the best breakfast. I eat keto coconut ‘porridge’ for breakfast, very filling but low carb, I eat it with a few strawberries.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge
May be a few changes in your fruit and veg, berries are the lowest carb fruits, have a look here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits
And veggies here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables
Sweetcorn doesn’t appear in the veg graphic, I guess because it is strictly a grain, but the clue is in the name, it is not the best veg to eat on low carb.
Thanks Rachox, I will try the keto porridge. I love sweetcorn but it might just have to go.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your diet look great to me, it's far more low carb then I have ever gone.
Only thing is that you are eating 6 times a day so your pancreas is never getting a break.
Have you tried IF, OMAD, 16:8 or any other variation of fasting.

Lizzeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your diet look great to me, it's far more low carb then I have ever gone.
Only thing is that you are eating 6 times a day so your pancreas is never getting a break.
Have you tried IF, OMAD, 16:8 or any other variation of fasting.
Thank you. Funnily enough, the first time I heard of eating too many times was on this forum so am very curious about it. As usual, I was always told by doctor/dietician to eat smaller meals more often. I was thinking of cutting down on morning and afternoon snacks anyway. I think it is just psychological and I am so used to it. I will look into some of the things you have suggested above.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lizzeeee I eat twice a day at 12 hour intervals, as my meter showed me that was a good idea. I chose foods which are no more than 10% carbs except for the 95 % cocoa chocolate, which I eat a square of once in a while.
By doing so I can keep my numbers normal without medication.
I don't count calories and I eat full fat dairy and don't chose lean proteins.
Apples, sweetcorn, porridge and bread - even low carb ones, are not on my menu even after some years of being in remission.
I find the every 12 hour eating plan far more convenient than having to take food with me or find something suitable when on a day out.

Reactions: Lizzeeee

Lizzeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are a lot of tips about coping with low carb, and research shows that while going low carb soon after diagnosis makes it easier to get into remission it is never to late to improve your BS.
Apart from letting us know what you eat, when do you test?

The dawn phenomenon means that our early morning/fasting BS is the last to go down to a better level so improvements to post meal BS is a good start.
Thank you, that is a bit re-assuring about morning bloods being the last to go down. I know it shouldn't be a blame game but I think sometimes that I must be a useless diabetic!

Lizzeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Lizzeeee I eat twice a day at 12 hour intervals, as my meter showed me that was a good idea. I chose foods which are no more than 10% carbs except for the 95 % cocoa chocolate, which I eat a square of once in a while.
By doing so I can keep my numbers normal without medication.
I don't count calories and I eat full fat dairy and don't chose lean proteins.
Apples, sweetcorn, porridge and bread - even low carb ones, are not on my menu even after some years of being in remission.
I find the every 12 hour eating plan far more convenient than having to take food with me or find something suitable when on a day out.
Wow, I feel faint at the thought of not eating for 12 hours! I know you said you don't count calories but it must be quite large meals to get what you need for the day. I am intrigued by this! I work in an office during the week but I am a support worker at the weekend and do a 24 hour shift. It would certainly work for the weekend with me. May I ask why not low carb bread? Is it just your person taste or does it affect your readings?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, I feel faint at the thought of not eating for 12 hours! I know you said you don't count calories but it must be quite large meals to get what you need for the day. I am intrigued by this! I work in an office during the week but I am a support worker at the weekend and do a 24 hour shift. It would certainly work for the weekend with me. May I ask why not low carb bread? Is it just your person taste or does it affect your readings?
Not eating is the easy option for me.
I have never eaten a lot - at which statement many used to laugh as being overweight is always blamed on over eating, but I really do not.
These days I can sometimes not eat for 24 hours and not feel any ill effects.
I might have some chicken and salad today as my first meal, then a cup of coffee with cream. Tonight I plan on beefburger with stir fry, and another coffee.
I find that it is difficult to eat just half a slice of bread, or one small slice. I used to get the Lidl low carb rolls which are no longer available, but even then I only ever bought 4 at a time, as I could sometimes eat all four of them in a day - which was still within my limit, but it showed me that I can resist anything but temptation - I used to eat them stuffed with meat, salad, coleslaw - really nice, and sadly missed.

xshtiek

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't be afraid to go on insulin, it really works well, much better than the pills!