Recently diagnosed with prediabetes

NitinHP

I can still read the small print on the side of a small can

I am eating a 2 egg omelette with a slice of ham, onion, cheese with a little added salt

I drank a pint of water immediately on waking and had my tablespoon of greek yoghurt with a few blueberries

I will follow this with a vitamin supplement

The sun is out, I feel strong, life is good

Hopefully I can convey why I have been so emersed in my prediabetes, to my partner. Although, i cannot think of any new or ground breaking, other than what i have been unsuccessfully trying to say already.

I think, telling her how much an effect reading peoples stories on finding out that they were t2 after being rushed to hospital. The fact i am at 6.4 puts me .1 away from t2. Being 6.4 is the cliff edge and it takes, what i am doing and have done in a short space of time to stop myself from falling or jumping over the edge.
My mother and her were my only reason for doing this, now and with such focus and determination.
I do know, i can do this alone, but honestly I would probably not.

Reactions: jjraak and Lotties

NitinHP

I choose to understand that the strict carb control at pre diabetes/beginning of the lifelong journey, is to allow for lapses that I am encountering with adding carbs here and there because they are only small amounts.
I have now made that 'switch in my head a priority' as all the little bits of carb here and there add up and can easily get out of control for someone like me.

Thank you all for reinforcing what is important. It will sink in eventually

Reactions: jjraak

NitinHP

I had a few nuts whilst out for a walk/shopping trip.

Having a cheese and tomato salad with ham and a cup of coffee with a drop of full fat milk. I did add salt to the salad.

NitinHP

I do not want to give the impression I have lost respect for this disease and this forum. But I feel I may have become obsessed with this.
It has become a wedge between me and my partner. We are both stubborn people and I am spending more time on this and less on her.

I have gone more into the research, purely because it makes sense.

I need to find a balance now. I cant keep both things going, if I continue like this, i will loose her.

NitinHP

I am having another 2 heck 85% sausages (the next batch will be 97%), a few grilled tomatoes and a heap of veg.

I remembered to add salt and have upped my water intake.

I will no doubt finish the evening off with a table spoon of greek yoghurt and some blueberries and 2 pieces of 85% chocolate and my goto snack, nuts. Am eating them one at a time, until satisfied.

I am managing to eat microwaved frozen spinach (just about), so will add kale to my veg mix.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Add a little nutmeg to greens, I love it. Do you like bacon?

NitinHP

I am having a 2 egg omelette, onion, tomatoes, cheese and a slice of top side beef

A cup of coffee with a hint of full fat milk

Preceeded by a pint of water, a tablespoon of greek yoghurt and a few blueberries.

Reactions: jjraak and Lotties

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent choice. Be careful with onion. I can eat a little but too much will spike me.

Reactions: NitinHP

NitinHP

I have just been for a 2 hour walk around a park with my partner. I ate single nuts when I needed and vape.

Still need to work on having meals at regular times.

I was very hungry so picked up half a chicken. So, still issues with portion control, at the very least. I did not finish it all, but left no skin and very little bone. It was very dry and crispy.

I have just had a piece of 85% chocolate.

NitinHP

I am very happy to say that me and my partner managed to resolve our issues by being honest with each other.

I found the posts a great help. To hear your situation being voiced through someone else's words, was quite a profund experience. At times it validates what you are doing, but can also be a wake up call. I was starting to loose myself in the research and my expectations were unrealistic. I will learn as i go on this journey and cannot do it all in one go.

Hearing other peoples experiences is what I needed at this precise moment in my journey. Helps dilute and digest the factual stuff.

I am growing and learning, still and despite the Diabetes I and those around me will resume normal life, with a better me. I feel I always need to respect the disease, without question. Another thing to work on.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So pleased for you. You are taking exactly the right approach. You will find right balance.

NitinHP

I have no appetite this evening.

I had my lunch too late and too much. I will have to face this at work, but need to be more structured with my meals at home.

I fancied a sweet, so 2 tablespoons of greek yoghurt, a few blueberries and a crumbled piece of 85% chocolate. I am telling myself it is the best desert in the world.

I will do it with toasted almonds and double cream, as suggested, next time.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no appetite this evening.

I had my lunch too late and too much. I will have to face this at work, but need to be more structured with my meals at home.

I fancied a sweet, so 2 tablespoons of greek yoghurt, a few blueberries and a crumbled piece of 85% chocolate. I am telling myself it is the best desert in the world.

I will do it with toasted almonds and double cream, as suggested, next time.
You do not need to eat at regular intervals. Another myth unless medications or other health conditions dictate otherwise. Most of us eat when we are hungry and not otherwise. Having longer breaks between meals allows your insulin levels to fall, which is good. We do not need to limit portion size, other than carbs, or possibly if you are gaining weight when you don’t want to. Most of us easily lose weight despite eating til we’re full so long as it’s not carbs. If you are hungry you need more fat and maybe protein.

NitinHP

You do not need to eat at regular intervals. Another myth unless medications or other health conditions dictate otherwise. Most of us eat when we are hungry and not otherwise. Having longer breaks between meals allows your insulin levels to fall, which is good. We do not need to limit portion size, other than carbs, or possibly if you are gaining weight when you don’t want to. Most of us easily lose weight despite eating til we’re full so long as it’s not carbs. If you are hungry you need more fat and maybe protein.
Thank you so much HSSS, I really, really needed to hear that

NitinHP

A salad with tomatoes, a chunk of cheese and a bit of chicken

I have been walking, training, both at home and in the park this morning.

I have also been snacking on pork scratchings and almonds.

Must add more fats to my meals as initial energy levels were low. Seemed to get better as I worked out.

Have finally, work on Thur and Fri. So will test my survival skills in the wild.....

Felt amazing getting some Sun on my face and a chill in my body.

NitinHP

Add a little nutmeg to greens, I love it. Do you like bacon?
I was just about rant about veg lol. Have been eating so much, very hard.

Today I am having 2 85% heck chicken sausages, soon to be 97%. Carrots, peas, runner beans, cauliflower, brocolli, melted cheese and a little ketchup.

I will definitely try the nutmeg and yes I love bacon.

NitinHP

Have just seen a new entry on the 20th in my gp notes:

Under planned events:

Eligible for Diabetes Prevention Programme -Send Invitation

Will do some research

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just seen a new entry on the 20th in my gp notes:

Under planned events:

Eligible for Diabetes Prevention Programme -Send Invitation

Will do some research
Depends who is running it. It could be a weight watchers cut fat lose weight message (literally run by them). It could be Xpert and low carb. It seems to vary regionally by a worrying amount.

NitinHP

I fancied treating myself and am having a clementine, a few grapes, a few blueberries and a tablespoon of greek yoghurt.

Mmmmmmmmmm

Can I have a piece of fruit a day, other than or with blueberries?

Thank you

I have had to put the nuts, pork scratchings and 85% chocolate out of reach....

Hopefully full until morning

May throw in a cuppa