Recently diagnosed with prediabetes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fancied treating myself and am having a clementine, a few grapes, a few blueberries and a tablespoon of greek yoghurt.

Mmmmmmmmmm

Can I have a piece of fruit a day, other than or with blueberries?

Thank you

I have had to put the nuts, pork scratchings and 85% chocolate out of reach....

Hopefully full until morning

May throw in a cuppa
You are in control of what you eat and I won’t tell you what to eat or not eat. Personally I just stick to berries. Add some cream to keep you fuller or more of the yoghurt. Grapes particularly, along with things like pineapple, bananas are all high in sugars. Some people do fine on a small apple or pear now and then, a few do a little citrus fruit. I’m diabetic, you are still in the prediabetes zone so probably cope better than I would with a little fruit. Veg is far safer for bgl generally

One consideration beyond the glucose rise is the fructose. It can only be dealt with by the liver (similar to alcohol) and can contribute to fatty liver disease if eaten in amounts beyond what your liver can cope with.

NitinHP

You are in control of what you eat and I won’t tell you what to eat or not eat. Personally I just stick to berries. Add some cream to keep you fuller or more of the yoghurt. Grapes particularly, along with things like pineapple, bananas are all high in sugars. Some people do fine on a small apple or pear now and then, a few do a little citrus fruit. I’m diabetic, you are still in the prediabetes zone so probably cope better than I would with a little fruit. Veg is far safer for bgl generally

One consideration beyond the glucose rise is the fructose. It can only be dealt with by the liver (similar to alcohol) and can contribute to fatty liver disease if eaten in amounts beyond what your liver can cope with.
Thank you HSSS

I appreciate your clarity.

Reactions: jjraak

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
clementine, a few grapes,[Careful! I used to love clementines, but found, when I first started that they were too high carb for me. Grapes and bananas are the worst fruits for T2. Don't be discouraged, your brand new to this and still learning.

NitinHP

I had a pint of water on waking, a tablespoon of greek yoghurt and a few blueberries.
2 cups of coffee with a drop of full fat milk.
3 egg omelette with chicken, cheese no tomatoes
Vitamin supplement

Feeling full

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a pint of water on waking, a tablespoon of greek yoghurt and a few blueberries.
2 cups of coffee with a drop of full fat milk.
3 egg omelette with chicken, cheese no tomatoes
Vitamin supplement

Feeling full

and it's THAT feeling, the fats etc help to reproduce each time.

the thing with carbs is we have a mechanism to tell us we are full and to eat no more ..
Leptin helps in that, and i believe the problem with carbs is that part of our brains is switched off, with the sugars, so we eat more then we need...(personally believe that's a central part of why some carb product are even made,,sugar addiction has been likened to heroin addiction, it's that hard to break..because they fill almost every food with it, sadly)

i'd say if not mentioned already.. Dr Jason Fungs book.
the diabetes code would be of immense help.

many youtube videos if you prefer, but for me the book was a goldmine of info
and helped me take much more in while sat on the couch or bed just reading up.

NitinHP

and it's THAT feeling, the fats etc help to reproduce each time.

the thing with carbs is we have a mechanism to tell us we are full and to eat no more ..
Leptin helps in that, and i believe the problem with carbs is that part of our brains is switched off, with the sugars, so we eat more then we need...(personally believe that's a central part of why some carb product are even made,,sugar addiction has been likened to heroin addiction, it's that hard to break..because they fill almost every food with it, sadly)

i'd say if not mentioned already.. Dr Jason Fungs book.
the diabetes code would be of immense help.

many youtube videos if you prefer, but for me the book was a goldmine of info
and helped me take much more in while sat on the couch or bed just reading up.
Thank you jjraak

i will have some down time tomorrow when i start work and will read up the material you have suggested.

NitinHP

20200122_175216.jpg
20200122_175134.jpg

Are these good for us or is there a better quality product out there, pleaase.

Last edited:

NitinHP

am having a salad, cheese, tomatoes and a can of tuna in spring water.
With the odd pork scratching here and there.
A pint of water to wash it all down, water intake has been excellent today. Exercised only once today and a walk to the shops and back 1/2 mile
Also spent a couple of hours assembling flat pack furniture, which I immediately took apart for return. Usually not a pleasant thing, but kept me busy for a while, so all good.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 38027 View attachment 38028

Are these good for us or is there a better quality product out there, pleaase.
I get pigskin (off loins of pork for chops) that my butcher gives me for free. It is about 500mm by 200mm and he scores across the surface in fine lines with a Stanley (craft) knife and a couple of times across. He leaves some fat on the underside of the skin.
I cut my skin into smaller strips and lay it in a roasting tin (the sort with a groove for fat around the bottom edge) skin side up. Rub an amount of Maldon sea salt flakes across the surface and roast in a very hot oven, gas mark 8, for 25-30 mins. I lift the pieces out when the surface has 'popped' and started to go from golden to dark golden and the fat has rendered out. I use the fat if it is still white for cooking and throw away if it has discoloured slightly.
Makes about 6 packs.

Jon1

Hi

I first started noticing blurry vision early last summer. Initially I put it down to the air conditioning where I worked.
Then late Summer, during a lull at work, I went to see my gp.
I was sent for a blood test and was diagnosed as pre diabetic.
This came as quite a shock, although being of Asian decent, I always knew it would come. My mother has type 2 and most if not all of my relatives of my mum's generation have diabetes.
I was then informed of a study, the define study, being carried out at Kings Hospital, London. I went for 2 days over a month, where various types of tests, mostly eye related, were carried out. I expected to get an insight into my specific issue, but understood that it was more about the instruments used.
They confirmed I had pre diabetes and that was the last encounter i have had with a health care professional relating to my pre diabetes.
I have since been researching, researching, researching, which has led me here.
I have made a major change to my lifestyle.
I am just wandering if it is possible to make too, drastic a change.
Do I have to keep checking my blood sugar after every meal or can I go by how I feel, instead.
I am a carer and only concerned about staying healthy enough to be a carer, without the person I care for knowing I have an issue and not letting my issue progress any further.
I feel mostly ok, getting up once at night to pee. Dry mouth is not as bad. Do feel tired a lot. Belly fat has been noticeably reduced. Still have the blurry vision.
I will have to see my gp at some point. Is there anything specific I need to ask, please.

Thank you
I am no expert but if you are only pre diabetic I do not understand why you are checking your blood sugars after every meal? I was diagnosed some years years ago as being pre diabetic and did not think too much about it. What concerned me more was each year I had my well man checks I was putting on more and more weight and was obese according to the NHS charts which ultimately made me decide to do something about it. I went onto a Keto type regime (high fat, low Carb) under the advice of a nutritionist along with fasting for 24 hours one day a week and only eating twice a day during 2 one hour windows - main meal 1200 to 1300 and 2nd meal 1700 to 1800. It was forbidden to eat outside of these hours. I lost 22 Kilos within 3 months which meant I was just overweight but no longer obese. My waist size reduced by 3 sizes. I combined this with walking for 5 miles briskly for (weather permitting) 5 days a week. After the initial weight loss I have maintained a keto type lifestyle and still stick to the meal time regime and fasting one day a week but mostly I snack outside of the mealtimes in the evenings. I limit myself to only consuming alcohol on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I had no alcohol during the first 3 months of the diet. The result is I have put some weight back on and now tend to be 15 to 17 kilos lighter than originally - it comes on at weekends and then gets better when I cut out the wine in the week. I hardly ever eat spuds anymore or pasta or rice and although I used to love them that is no longer the case, its amazing how quickly your tastes change - my perenial love for pastries, chocolate and certain types of biscuits prevails however and is my main downfall as well as going on 3 5 star All Inclusive holidays each year and ensuring I drink and eat my monies worth! Would be happy to provide more detail if you are interested. Also stopped taking my statins and despite being on a high fat diet all of my
cholesterol readings are fine.

Jon1

I am no expert but if you are only pre diabetic I do not understand why you are checking your blood sugars after every meal? I was diagnosed some years years ago as being pre diabetic and did not think too much about it. What concerned me more was each year I had my well man checks I was putting on more and more weight and was obese according to the NHS charts which ultimately made me decide to do something about it. I went onto a Keto type regime (high fat, low Carb) under the advice of a nutritionist along with fasting for 24 hours one day a week and only eating twice a day during 2 one hour windows - main meal 1200 to 1300 and 2nd meal 1700 to 1800. It was forbidden to eat outside of these hours. I lost 22 Kilos within 3 months which meant I was just overweight but no longer obese. My waist size reduced by 3 sizes. I combined this with walking for 5 miles briskly for (weather permitting) 5 days a week. After the initial weight loss I have maintained a keto type lifestyle and still stick to the meal time regime and fasting one day a week but mostly I snack outside of the mealtimes in the evenings. I limit myself to only consuming alcohol on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I had no alcohol during the first 3 months of the diet. The result is I have put some weight back on and now tend to be 15 to 17 kilos lighter than originally - it comes on at weekends and then gets better when I cut out the wine in the week. I hardly ever eat spuds anymore or pasta or rice and although I used to love them that is no longer the case, its amazing how quickly your tastes change - my perenial love for pastries, chocolate and certain types of biscuits prevails however and is my main downfall as well as going on 3 5 star All Inclusive holidays each year and ensuring I drink and eat my monies worth! Would be happy to provide more detail if you are interested. Also stopped taking my statins and despite being on a high fat diet all of my
cholesterol readings are fine.
I forgot to mention have you had your eyesight tested as you might only be getting cataracts, your symptoms sound as it could be?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do not understand why you are checking your blood sugars after every meal
Because he wants to find out what his food tolerances are, and not become a full blown diabetic. And all power to him.