Recently diagnosed with prediabetes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just went down for a cup of green tea. Opened a new box. So annoyed. 0.7g carbs per cup.

Still stupid mistakes
I’d drink it. Whilst your keenness is admirable I think you might be overthinking this just a tad. And beating yourself up far too much. You’ve already made great changes. The sausages sound fine and quite frankly the odd cup of tea will be fine.
Ps the meter testing fingerprick is far less invasive than a blood test at the dr. More like catching yourself on a pin whilst sewing

Reactions: NitinHP

NitinHP

I’d drink it. Whilst your keenness is admirable I think you might be overthinking this just a tad. And beating yourself up far too much. You’ve already made great changes. The sausages sound fine and quite frankly the odd cup of tea will be fine.
Ps the meter testing fingerprick is far less invasive than a blood test at the dr. More like catching yourself on a pin whilst sewing
I read another post on how we were first diagnosed. It forced me to think back and I am likely 10 years as pre diabetic. Due to fairly recent blood testing, having never knowingly had one and being at 6.4 I really feel as though I need to get a hold on this as my next Hbac1 is more than likely going to diagnose me as type 2.
I feel this is a very likely outcome.
I have to be hard on myself and although I beat myself up, I know we have to make mistakes to learn. I am just disgusted that I am making such simple mistakes with such strong advise and support from you guys

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read another post on how we were first diagnosed. It forced me to think back and I am likely 10 years as pre diabetic. Due to fairly recent blood testing, having never knowingly had one and being at 6.4 I really feel as though I need to get a hold on this as my next Hbac1 is more than likely going to diagnose me as type 2.
I feel this is a very likely outcome.
I have to be hard on myself and although I beat myself up, I know we have to make mistakes to learn. I am just disgusted that I am making such simple mistakes with such strong advise and support from you guys
As you say say type 2 can be years in the making, mine was at least a decade and I’ve good reason to think maybe even more. With the changes you are making, maintained, I’d say it unlikely you’ll be formally diagnosed type 2. If you had carried on as before then it would be another story then.
If being hard on yourself motivates you then fair enough but also remember from time to time to give yourself credit for your achievements and don’t allow it to be a downwards spiral to self hatred. We all make mistakes and we continue to do so, as you say it’s how we learn. The trick is making new ones each time not the same ones over and over again.

Reactions: Lotties

NitinHP

I have my first ever self attempt at cooking frozen cod in a grill.

Wish me luck

Hopefully not another opportunity to learn as I am starving lol

NitinHP

Help please...

I just found this in my patient record
Your thoughts please
Screenshot_20200116-200634_Chrome.jpg

NitinHP

For some reason I do not have access to my more recent blood tests.
But I am going to focus or at least believe that I am no more than 6 years as pre diabetic.

I am concerned about the creatine reading as no one has mentioned this or even raised this as an issue. A quick check seems to suggest it is an indication of organ/kidney damage?

Regardless, I choose to continue my fight against something I am capable of getting on top of

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For some reason I do not have access to my more recent blood tests.
But I am going to focus or at least believe that I am no more than 6 years as pre diabetic.

I am concerned about the creatine reading as no one has mentioned this or even raised this as an issue. A quick check seems to suggest it is an indication of organ/kidney damage?

Regardless, I choose to continue my fight against something I am capable of getting on top of
I have the opposite. Low creatinine that no one can explain or is at all bothered about and I’m the only one to have raised it. Can’t give any constructive advice other than to ask. It’s a long time ago so maybe see what it is now before worrying. Click on the test name and it should list other dates the same test was resulted (unless they entered it in a different format of course)

NitinHP

I have the opposite. Low creatinine that no one can explain or is at all bothered about and I’m the only one to have raised it. Can’t give any constructive advice other than to ask. It’s a long time ago so maybe see what it is now before worrying. Click on the test name and it should list other dates the same test was resulted (unless they entered it in a different format of course)
Thank you HSSS
I am feeling a lot more positive.
I will do as you say and ask that question. I will be sure to let you know what they say.

I actually feel quite selfish. I am not, but I am so consumed in my issue and my life that I have forgotten to make an effort to find out more about each of you that have had a big impact on where I am on this journey. It is causing issues with my family, partner and will most likely cause issues when I get some work in. I really do appreciate what you do, when not even my gp has said anymore than you have pre diabetes, you need to loose weight and my friend is recruiting volunteers for a study on diabetes.
Makes you guys and this forum a pretty special place
I do appreciate that gps are overworked and always under pressure.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Somewhere I lost a lot of weight - I was totally unaware of this, not trying to lose weight, just ensuring my blood glucose level was in the normal range. It was only when my clothes no longer stayed on that I realized.
There is so much emphasis on weight - I was put on diets when I still had a 24 inch waist, because I was too heavy for my height - I rowed boats, sailed yachts, went climbing, caving, indulged in a spot of archery and could swing across the climbing frame horizontal ladder in the local park - I did that morning and evening on work days and when I went into town at weekends. I had been a roadie for a folk duo and could dead lift a drunken guitarist off the floor. I was low calorie low fat high carb dieted into ill health, after decades of diet sheets - a few months on low carb and I went back to work servicing knitting machines, and I feel even better now. It's all about normal blood glucose - why it should be a secret I do not know.

NitinHP

Good morning

I had a cup of coffee with 1/5 full fat milk
A 2 egg omelette with cheese and tomatoes

I did eat about 5 or 6 nuts after waking up.

I added some salt to my meal last night, forgot to do it this morning.
Paying more attention to hydration especially during and after a coffee

Oh yeah, I also had a tablespoon of greek yoghurt and some blueberries.

That's a lot more than I thought!

Still felt a little light headed after having to make an effort to get out of bed. But do feel pretty good at the mo.

Reactions: jjraak

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm coming round to yours for breakfast tomorrow....

Reactions: HSSS

NitinHP

I had a cheese and tomato salad before my walk

Got back and had another cheese and tomato salad with a slice of roast beef and a slice of ham

Feeling full after a couple of nuts

And of course a pint of water

NitinHP

The result remains the same!

But not sure if it is diabetes or just me or a mixture of both that has just led to my relationship breakdown.

This was never going to be an easy journey, but I did not see that coming.

Diabetes is a very personal thing, I had to forget everything I knew about diabetes to move forward a microscopic distance. Didn't fully consider that for someone not diabetic, it is a much harder journey.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When we start out, the whole thing can be overwhelming. It takes focus, and in my case, obsession at the beginning to get and stay on the right track. I was lucky my non diabetic husband was supportive although he did not approve of my going keto. After he saw my results, he went on his version of low carb and lost a couple of stone.

Reactions: Lotties and NitinHP

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly any cracks in a relationship are tested by a diagnosis, of any kind. I hope your relationship reaches an appropriate resolution (understanding or separation) but please remember your health and well-being are essential to any successful future.

NitinHP

Thank you xfieldok and HSSS

I am meeting her again tomorrow for a talk. I must admit that from a non diabetic partners point of view, I must appear selfish.
With pre diabetes there was no sense of anything major from my gp. So my conversations with my partner, were definitely skirting around my pre diabetes and my own attitude was not nearly as focused as it should have been.
I should not have shut her out, especially as I emersed myself in research over the festive period. To get some defininate direction and focus as soon as possible. Where this forum has helped.

All things to learn from.

Also I am quite closed when I deal with anything major in my life. Something I need to work on.

I had two heck sausages, will make sure they are 97% or higher next time. A plate full of veg with added salt.

I have also had 4 pieces of lindt 85% chocolate, more nuts than I should have and a 83 kal gin and diet tonic. I was able to read the small print on the can. I havnt been able to do that since early last summer. Not sure how to interpret that!

Reactions: Lotties

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I just suggest.....

Sliced almonds, toasted in a dry fry pan.
Microwave a couple of squares of 85 per ccent (or more) of chocolate.
Add a splash of double cream.
Top with a few berries and the toasted sliced almonds.

Eat with a teaspoon to extend the decadence,

Good luck with your partner. Rooting for you.

Reactions: HSSS

NitinHP

Can I just suggest.....

Sliced almonds, toasted in a dry fry pan.
Microwave a couple of squares of 85 per ccent (or more) of chocolate.
Add a splash of double cream.
Top with a few berries and the toasted sliced almonds.

Eat with a teaspoon to extend the decadence,

Good luck with your partner. Rooting for you.
That sounds like something I could only dream of having.