Recently Diagnosed

LoveForever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got diagnosed four weeks ago and it is diet control so hopefully i'll find some good tips on this website.

LoveForever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering if anybody had any tips for being newly diagnosed with diet control type 2 diabetes please?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi and welcome.

I think the big thing I wish someone had told me at the beginning was "forget everything you think you know about healthy eating".

A close second is that you can do something about the consequences of your T2 diabetes, no-one else can do it for you, there's no easier solution, and you need to think about it as your lifestyle from now on.

I had a list of tips, but it was in a blog on this site. Unfortunately our blogs have been down for over a year.

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First and foremost, buy a BG meter.

In the meantime, would you like to tell us a little more about your diagnosis (BG level) and what you normally eat? That information will help others to help you.

• Agree
Reactions: VashtiB

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @LoveForever and welcome to the forum,
To control type 2 diabetes many of us here keep to a low carbohydrate diet. All carbs whether from sugar, cakes, biscuits, fizzy drinks etc or from ’starchy’ carbs such as rice, pasta, potatoes, bread etc. Here’s the link to an article written by one of our members, it’s a good place to start:
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @LoveForever and welcome to the forums.

As I'm T1 I shouldn't really be advising you (no personal experience) but lots of T2s here achieve normal levels by reducing the carbs in their diet.

I second @Dancing Badger 's suggestion of buying a glucose meter so that you can see whether your changed diet is working. (Abbott also do a free trial for diabetics of their libre glucose sensor which you might want to consider at some point? It's expensive so most non insulin users only use it occasionally.)

Once more welcome.

• Friendly
Reactions: VashtiB