mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I am currently in the honeymoon phase. Type 1, basal and Humalog with meals. My nurse advised low dose, 1 unit per 15g carbs. My blood levels are very good, always between 5 and 8. I forgot my insulin last night, tested before bed and 4.7. I woke this morning 5.8. As an experiment, I skipped the insulin with breakfast. Tested at lunch, 5.6. My question is, should I reduce or even stop taking the insulin with these levels or would you advise to carry on ? I will of course discuss with my nurse next week. Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went through a long honeymoon period, very hard to control and get a pattern with it going. I didn't stop taking my qa, but did have to stop basal for 6 months. I would advise speaking to your dsn first. I just went off my morning readings for that period, once I started seeing numbers in the 8 plus range I started slowly introducing basal a little at a time. Same with qa, just went off readings and adjusted ratios to suit. Very hard period I found but with.testing regular you will get.to know what u need and when to adjust things.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would speak to your nurse, but mine has me on 0.5 unit per 10g for dinner. Nothing at breakfast or lunch (unless I've gone mad and had a cake or something and then I carb count again using the above ratio) this is due to my activity during the day. On the evenings where I have plans I also don't take insulin as I'm more active.

So I guess I'm the opposite to Brett was. I've kept my 3 units levimer every evening but only doing QA as and when necessary.

I had the clinic yesterday and the consultant said "anything up to 12 is fine" and I could drop the QA completely for now. I've said no as I prefer to keep under 9 if I can and that's only possible with my 1.5 units Novorapid most evenings!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Obviously discuss it with your nurse but this article on the Honeymoon from Joslin (a big D centre in the US) says
Scientists now think that it is important for people with newly diagnosed diabetes to continue taking some insulin by injection even during the honeymoon period. Why? Because they have some scientific evidence to suggest that doing so will help preserve the few remaining insulin-producing cells for a while longer.
http://www.joslin.org/info/will_diabetes_go_away.html

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sammeh5678 said:
For it to stay at that level without insulin is a miracle to a point.

Not really. Most type 1s have a honeymoon period after diagnosis, but the length does vary. It doesn't last forever unfortunately.