Refused test strips!?*&

D

Deleted member 489048

Diabetic type 2 - seriously am I diabetic type 2? Since I'm being questioned on how many times I test my blood glucose. I was told on the phone by the other person from my doctors that I was testing too much. Questioned was I on any medication for my diabetes? Then told a doctor will give me a call back in review to my ''testing''. I explained I have been given test strips previously as I pay for them via a pre payment script card. "But policy states" I was told.........***!!!! My health, my diabetes but the comparison was made in regards to 'her husband' none the less ....... I ask you? ****** fuming. I was told 'pay for them over the counter' I said 'this is the reason I have a PREPAID SCRIPT CARD' so it enables me to get my scripts in an easier payment method rather than paying in a lump sum at once. I did explain this. I'm angry because this person doesn't know me. This person is making a judgment call on my health condition by what AUTHORITY?

Post edited by moderator to remove swearing

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @WHT Can you please clarify your profile states 'insulin dependent' and then 'diet' only, are you on insulin ? If you can log into your profile and adjust to suit your circumstances that would be great so people can understand your diabetes treatment.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Odd I don’t see any insulin comments anywhere, perhaps the op got onto it fast!

Sadly it’s not unusual for type 2 to be refused test strips. Unless you were on glucose lowering meds originally it was pretty lucky to get them in the first place.

A prepayment certificate is a buy ahead scheme for prescriptions and the prescriptions still cost the nhs money, unlike if you buy them over the counter. So on that basis prepaid or pay for each prescription individually makes no difference to the cost to the nhs, infact they arguably are paid less by a prepayment.

Most likely your best bet when you discuss issue of them with a dr is to explain exactly how using the strips helps your control. NICE guidelines say they shouldn’t be routinely isssued to type 2. It doesn’t ban it entirely though. “Individualised Care” by self monitoring and being an “integral part” of your achieving and maintaining control would be the tactic and buzz words I’d use.

Some drs don’t even realise that they can be used to compare pre and post meal readings thus establishing “safe” foods.

Also they sometimes feel regardless of results there’s nothing immediately that can be done (eg no insulin to inject) so it’s pointless. You can adjust the meal for carbs or wait til it’s lower before eating, you can take a walk or other exercise. Thus maintaining a more level profile and avoiding spikes and higher hb1ac.

There’s a school of thought it can cause anxiety. I’d be more stressed having no idea what’s happening whilst waiting for infrequent hb1ac’s and having no idea which foods or events contribute to raising or lowering levels.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Individual circumstances play a big part, as does how much testing you are doing. But the fact is that most of us T2s fund out own meters and strips - we just use the meters which have the cheaper strips and it doesn't cost a fortune - unless you go OCD with the testing!

Reactions: lucylocket61

ShortStuff

It frustrates me that being diet controlled I don’t get the test strips prescribed, but they’d happily prescribe a bunch of pills if I didn’t control it through my diet. It’s a stupid system.

However, I just remind myself that I am LUCKY I can control it through diet and don’t have to take the meds, & if the ‘cost’ of that is buying strips, then so be it. There’s no gain to me in being angry about the stupidity of it. And it’s the stupidity of their thinking that annoys me far more than the money.

As others have said, your pre paid card is just that, a method of payment, not a right to demand whatever you want is prescribed.

How is your Blood Pressure?

Reactions: Prem51