1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Regular moderate exercise log

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by RuthW, Sep 12, 2015.

1. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@DJC3 Typically self effacing. Keeping going in tough times are what makes winners - putting in the hard yards. Translate the miles, kgs etc of others to your own abilities - don't compare extrapolate. Them's my onions anyhowup!:angelic:

• Like Like x 3
  2. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you, sometimes it’s hard not to compare oneself unfavourably, but I know that’s daft.
    I’m doing more than I used to ( previous life: drove to work, sat down, drove home, drank bottle of wine) and I’m much healthier than I was, which is what counts as you so rightly point out.
    I like being a part of this thread as although I don’t post every day - it’s always at the back of my mind, making me think about what exercise I’ve done today.
    Thanks for your support ( as always)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. DJC3

12k steps today

15 mins of balance and leg exercises this morning

15 mins static cycling this evening but had to keep stopping to answer door or phone.

• Like Like x 3
  4. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Squats last night, second week in a row!! still takes 30mins of trying to get under the bar, and the pain in my shoulders is off the scale, but I manage and had some proper technique coaching last night which resulted in some "excellent" (coaches words not mine) squats. Plan in place now for the next 6wks until eye surgery. 70kg 8x5 with 9sets of singles as well. Must admit am feeling very happy with myself for persevering with it, as it will soon be November.

Take care everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ianpspurs

A question for the clued up members on here. Is the time it takes heart rate to return to starting level after vigorous exercise a good measure of fitness/improvement in fitness? Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

It is said to be. However, I find that how long my HR takes to descend depends largely on how high I have just been pushing it. The more intense my aerobic workout, the longer it takes. So to monitor your heart health improvement you would have to compare what happens after similar workouts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexandra100

Personally, I would take pain as a warning and back off. Shoulders are delicate things, you don't want to incur a permanent injury.

8. ianpspurs

@Alexandra100 Thanks. The idea is to use it as a regular - weekly/fortnightly - test after a set workout e.g. same 1 or 2 sets of same level track program on exercise bike or same sprint 8 HIIT session.

9. johnpol

Thanks, but unfortunately my shoulders have problems from years of abuse/not stretching after very heavy weights. The pain I experience is from previous muscle tears impinging into the joint, I now stretch and work the muscles around them to no avail, as my range of movement is very limited.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  10. Alexandra100

Sounds good, and your proposed workouts sound great too. Will you be monitoring your times / pace?

• Like Like x 1
  11. ianpspurs

@Alexandra100 All those workouts are timed - the track ones are set programs of 20 or 30 mins with preset resistance and speeds and the sprint 8 is a 20 minute routine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alexandra100

So in addition to monitoring your recoveries you will be monitoring your HR and also any improvements during.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Davie_sett

Davie_sett Type 1 · Well-Known Member

this week i climbed mt snowdon yesterday that was good fun

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. ianpspurs

Mystery virus seems to have abated. Nothing clever exercise wise but solid stuff. 18K steps at a better pace than most days along with 2 little things which pleased me. Carried the 20kgs bag of chicken pellets on shoulder from car to food hopper for first time in a few months and jogged round the garden. The jogging needs to be repeated a few times but would be a major improvement.

• Like Like x 2
  15. johnpol

Deadlifts last night, technique, technique, technique for the next few weeks now so it was a ok, sort of, 145kg for 6x5 I have the rest of July / August to get this technique right, then the work begins for competitions in November/December.

Take care everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ianpspurs

Another warn dry day here but I managed some exercise. I will have done 16K steps by bedtime and 30 mins on the static bike with average hr of 123. Not seeming to be especially useful for bg control atm then again it may be containing something potentially worse.

17. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Waves at everyone!

After a resting walking week (well, in my terms) I seem to be back to more usual for Japes levels of walking, as long as I remember to sit with my feet up after I'm home and use the ice pack whilst I'm resting. 20 minutes on each of the three dodgy areas of my left leg at least twice a day...

I do admit, the cooler atmosphere was a great encouragement to go out for five miles after work this evening to walk off the effects of the carb-heavy buffet lunch with which we finished the student academic year. Meal out with my group yesterday was managed to perfection, insulin/exercise wise. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. DJC3

A wave back at you @Japes

Today I managed 14k steps plus a 1 hr rehab gym class.

Ive been neglecting the core exercises in the evening because it’s been so hot recently and I can’t summon the enthusiasm. Must get back into it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all

Everyone seems to have been hard at it, despite the hot weather.

Catching up at the airport waiting for flight home and just been totting up my steps while away. Average daily total sits at 22,337, which includes a couple of days well under 10k steps due to sitting on planes.

Also includes one mad day where I attempted to walk the length of Manhattan in one go. Google maps showed it as a 14.2 mile shot directly along Broadway from 225th street (that’s where I took the subway to to start) to South Ferry (where I planned to take subway back). While I did hit 14 miles (lots of meandering off to explore interesting things), legs (shins) protesting strongly when I was in the vicinity of my hotel so I decided to quit before serious damage was done! About 2.5 miles short of reaching the end. Drama in the day as when I went to do my afternoon BG reading, meter was gone! Quick check of photos to check where I could have left it - answer 2 miles away in a church. Subway rides there and back - they had found it - and on my way with about an hour lost!

Looking forward to checking back in regularly now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ianpspurs

Impressive steppage there @Goonergal. News suggest it has been exceptionally hot stateside was it? If true, eveen more impressive

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook