Regular moderate exercise log

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I ordered some Therabands and accessories -- handles and door thingies, and located a weird assortment of my weights. Now to use them! May as well cancel my share of YMCA membership. Haven't used it in years... we used to live 5 minutes from Y and library. Nice combo. I loved how the guys in the weight room were so gallant and not judgmental.
Yesterday one mile early walk and a ballet class. Thankful I wasn't dead today!
Today early one mile then afternoon 3.25 walk. Personal bests all over in that one. Maybe I'm getting stronger, she says hopefully.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats a good idea - if I went towards London certainly (rather than towards Brum) I found a sign with the canal map on it today but no scale unfortunately so no idea how far apart the various junctions and locks are. View attachment 32935

Will look into it - had a quick look a few days ago and have a couple of routes in mind.

Reactions: zauberflote

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you pick up public transport along the way - so you can have a choice of where to stop and travel back? That’s what I’ve done in Birmingham.

@DJC3 - that's exactly what I do when no circular route seems obvious in Birmingham as well! My best canal walk is also accompanied by a train route, should I want it, though I'm more inclined to use the bus as I have a ticket already and see no need to waste that money. I did wonder, at one point, as I was walking so much if I would give up the Direct Debit and just pay as I went along again but I do still get on a bus enough days a month to justify continuing to pay the monthly amount, despite the bus company's best efforts to make the network only of any use to those going to and from the Universities and QE hospital and not of any use for the rest of the city.

@ianpspurs - probably most of my walking has a deliberate purpose to it, but I do now do a fair amount of walking for enjoyment which is as much a shock to me as it is to friends of mine who remember the days when, whilst I was never inactive, the idea of a walk for fun was anathema and I'd sit in the car with a book for preference!

Been a bit more moderate in the walking lately, but still keeping on top of the targets.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea of step count today as I had no phone for 1/2 of it. Less than 10k I reckon though as so much of it was taken hanging around waiting to get my phone sorted. I did a 40 min GlucoseZone workout in the hope that it might help to offset the lack of walking.
@Japes I agree it does seem a good plan - especially as I have my over 60s oyster card so can travel on any London Transport system. I just need to make sure I head towards town - the other way Bucks and Berks etc have green busses and they don’t accept Oyster.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Not much today. 1.3 mile very slow exhausted walk this morning; allergist appt; lunch with Mom and bro (who is now stranded here from storms in flight path arrgghh) and did nothing all afternoon because I was so wiped out by lack of sleep.
Therabands came this evening so I put in 10 min just to say I'd done something. BG up from too much cheese while doing nothing probably. So long walk and weights tomorrow hopefully.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
probably most of my walking has a deliberate purpose to it, but I do now do a fair amount of walking for enjoyment which is as much a shock to me as it is to friends of mine who remember the days when, whilst I was never inactive, the idea of a walk for fun was anathema

With you on that @Japes have just built walking into my day so will walk rather than take public transport where it’s possible to do so in addition to some walks for pleasure. I mix up fitness walking with strolling and photography walks.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wet and cold today so defo no grass cutting. 12k steps one way and another. Some of those were walking from farm store to car and from car to chickens with 20 kgs pellets. 70 minutes exercise bike in 2 sessions. Ticking over really - feels like I need proper professional exercise and nutritional coaching/intervention.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
11k steps today how accurate that number is and how much good my top speed is for fitness or bg control that is I know not. They are all my own and the best I am going to do.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday just over 13k steps. Only managed 1 proper walk of around an hour as I was busy packing up to drive down to Cornwall. A lot of strength type work though lugging heavy boxes and bits of furniture.
Today a measly 5,650 steps as I was driving for a long time. Did manage 15 mins at quite a high rate on the exercise bike this evening though.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Quiet around here...
@ianpspurs watch carefully what kind of pro you get for coaching! I know you're searching for the thing that works, very frustrating! How about... an old Jane Fonda tape? She did some hardcore workouts there. As I recall, her form was excellent.
Tue 2 fast (my fast) miles after breakfast, Barre class evening. Fun and HARD!
Wed early morning 1 mile, ballet class evening. Barre class makes ballet easier. If only my brain would catch up to its old speed again, or.. maybe (she says hopefully) it's just the body that's stoopider.
Today early morning 1 mile, late morning 4 fast! miles. No idea they were that fast, thought the sweat was the heat!
Happy with today. Now for the finger wiggling and facial gymnastics. I don't think that burns fat nor lowers BG...but somebody's gotta do it!
SIL& her Mr have just relocated to Kentucky. They shopped for a chest freezer. The capacities were all rated by how many deer they would hold. .....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 days of 5.5 and 6k steps due to muscle strains and family duties. Today was only a little better but a start anyhow. 11.5k steps and 35 mins grass cutting. Sleepy little soldier so no exercise bike tonight.

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
50 mile ride last week and tore my hamstring, so no exercise until today after go ahead from physio, an hours Zumba (my first session, great fun, highly recommended) and then an hours Pilates. Feeling sore but happy

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t done a lot over the last couple of days for various reasons but did manage a good walk today, from Lostwithiel up to Restormel castle (12century) and back along Fowey river valley. Some quite steep inclines. Step counter says 15,794 steps and 28 flights of stairs!
IMG_0057.jpg

Reactions: Numan

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great picture @DJC3 and impressive stairs count. 15k steps, 35 mins lawns and 20 mins walking around with 16 litre spry knapsack and 30 mins exercise bike - testing out hr on new fitbit against chest hr monitor.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t get out much yesterday as the weather was cold and wet. A little stint on the exercise bike in the morning and 20 mins hand weights and squats later on waiting for roast to finish cooking.
Today went on 2 medium walks around 6 miles total. Not particularly fast but very enjoyable and the sun was out so all good.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday and Saturday both struggled to pass 6k steps. Yesterday 11k. Today 14k steps and 1 hr on the exercise bike.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some variety today so hopefully useful. Core 11k steps, 30 mins exercise bike and 3 sets of 10 reps on 8 exercises - very low weight but a journey of a 1000 miles and all that