Regular moderate exercise log

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Managed my intervals at the weekend, amazingly as I usually climb out of bed into a book and stay there, but it doesn't get any easier. The intervals, I mean. They're absolutely ghastly. That the point? Does everyone find that?

Reactions: 2 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Managed my intervals at the weekend, amazingly as I usually climb out of bed into a book and stay there, but it doesn't get any easier. The intervals, I mean. They're absolutely ghastly. That the point? Does everyone find that?
Oh yes! But I just keep my mind on the fact it will be over soon and then try to regard the DOMS as a good thing even though I groan anytime I move...

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
DOMS? Oh, okay, got it. Delayed onset muscle spasm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning! Did 30 lengths this morning (20m pool) - mixture of doggy paddle northbound and a sort of sculling backstroke southbound. Don't do 'proper' swimming - I cost my parents a fortune in failed lessons as a child!

Bike ride yesterday was amazing - gorgeous day, 8ish miles, picnic by a river - ahhhhhh....

:smug:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just back from my second session of week 2 of couch to 5k. Really enjoyed it but it's early days - and 5k still sounds such a long way!

And although I wear gloves I had such pain in my fingers and thumb from the cold - I've been home for 10 mins, 8 mins of which REALLY hurt. Still, nice and toasty now.

Have a great day, all!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning! Swam 30 lengths this morning - nearly wimped out after 20 as the pool was busier than usual (I was 10 mins later than my favourite lane-bagsying time!) but remembered that I would be posting on this thread, which MADE me do it! Oh what a brilliant tool accountability is!

Glad I kept going.

Have a fab day, all!

:)

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, yesterday I had my twice a week orgy of morning intervals, then torture dance class plus 1hr work/home cycle ride. Still waiting for the benign BG effects to show up tho .. it doesn't always happen.

And My God it is torture. I love it really, but it stretches parts of my body I had forgotten I had.

Reactions: 4 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Orgy? Torture? @LucySW are you sure this is exercise you think you're doing, or is there something more sinister afoot..?!

I'm v proud this morning - set off in a light drizzle and have come back just now having completed my 3 sessions of week 2 of the couch to 5k! Okay, so it was 'only' a total of 9 mins running interspersed with walking for 2 mins, preceded and followed by brisk 5 mins of walking, but for a non-runner it's actually getting me hooked!

Oh, and please remind me I've said that when it's pouring with rain and I don't want to leave the house....

Swimming tomorrow, then I'll see what fitness fantasies the weekend holds!

:eek:

Edited to correct massively misleading 9 minute reference!
TOTAL was 9 mins, made up of 6 x 90 second intervals of running interspersed with walking for 2 minutes!

Last edited by a moderator:

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My regular walking has taken a bit of a hit recently as my mind's been on lots of after-moving-flat things ... moving and re-moving furniture and the suchlike. So I'm still on my plateau somewhere between 8,000 and 9,000 steps (the fitness monitor goal moves up and down a bit). But I had one day out when for once it wasn't raining and ended up walking double the day's target! I am so fed up with what's feeling like an endless wet winter. I think by next winter I have to have literally taken the plunge and got back into going swimming - getting wet that way instead.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
30 lengths with corrective insulin on board = massive hypo when I got home for second breakfast of tea and eggs. Was 6.9 when I left the pool, 3.0 when my eggs were cooked.

Glucose + more tea = no longer hypo, but had gone so low so quickly that it's going to be rather a difficult morning, as have now crossed the threshold into post hypo hangover ('hypover').

Not been like this for weeks and weeks so am cross.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah........ :banghead:

Still, onwards and upwards, if a little shakily. At least I'm now coherent again, to the husband's relief. Will gently head off to work shortly (a 3 min commute on foot, not driving!).

Happy Friday, all!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
30 lengths with corrective insulin on board = massive hypo when I got home for second breakfast of tea and eggs. Was 6.9 when I left the pool, 3.0 when my eggs were cooked.

Glucose + more tea = no longer hypo, but had gone so low so quickly that it's going to be rather a difficult morning, as have now crossed the threshold into post hypo hangover ('hypover').

Not been like this for weeks and weeks so am cross.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah........ :banghead:

Still, onwards and upwards, if a little shakily. At least I'm now coherent again, to the husband's relief. Will gently head off to work shortly (a 3 min commute on foot, not driving!).

Happy Friday, all!
I went through a period of going hypo every time I exercised - mentioned in this thread. I had to reduce insulin by half before starting and eventually ended up lowering my basal. This exercise stuff works...
Gym today, bike, rower, weights, more bike.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I go hypo if I exercise at any other time of day than early morning. Afternoon walks and bike rides tend to be more spontaneous so obviously harder to plan for, so for those I generally need dramatic reductions and extra carbs to get through. First thing is always MUCH easier, as I know there is only porridge and the 'right' amount of insulin in me, with no real extra planning or thinking on my feet required!

However this morning I woke up 9.3 (had climbed overnight thanks to a second glass of red - unusual for me - last night) and my bolus calculator suggested a corrective dose on top of my porridge bolus. Had set a health event on my pump as I knew I was going swimming - 50% of normal bolus ratio is always spot on - but the extra corrective insulin proved to be too much when the exercise was taken into account. Lesson learned!

I was very pleased not to go low until I got home - thankfully the pool is very, very local.

Normally I do 50% breakfast insulin, disconnect for the swim and then TBR of 150% for an hour and a half afterwards to counteract the steady climb. It always works - unless I'm above 7 when I have my porridge insulin, in which case what happens today happens.

No worries - it's still been a good day, despite having been relatively gaga until about coffee break time...!

:rolleyes:

Starting week 3 of couch to 5k tomorrow morning - I don't know what's happened but I'm really looking forward to it! And you're right, @Diakat - exercise works!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Run 1 of week 3 this morning - went really well!
5 mins warm-up walk, then 2x the following:
90 seconds run
90 seconds walk
3 mins run
2 mins walk
Then 3 mins cool down walk.

Same total of 9 mins running as the week 2 sessions, just in heartier, more knackering chunks! Dreading what might be on the menu for next week...

Have a lovely weekend, all!

:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Arms ache today so avoided more arm things and went for mountain climbers, planks and squats today. Ouch.

Reactions: 8 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Day of rest today, followed by a week of rest - BAH - as I have sore feet (running on road edges the last 2 sessions so my gait was being thrown out by the camber, I think - beginners' error - and sore hips. I thought I'd been doing so well - I was really enjoying myself!

:(

So, aiming to be just swimming next week (Monday, Thursday and Friday) and just general out-and-aboutness so as not to allow unfitness to creep back in, but no running - will then see how things feel this time next week with an aim to re-starting week 3 on a flatter surface!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, all. Have granted myself a day off household chores such as the ironing - *coughs* - all that standing, y'know, not good for sore feet... ;)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No programmatic exercise yesterday Sunday, but kept on having to get on the cross-trainer because of little, er, quite big lapses (a birthday). I don't like to take whopping correction doses, so take a little one and get on the machine.

Will redouble my efforts today, er, NOW !