1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Regular moderate exercise log

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by RuthW, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Just back from swimming.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2 hrs walking today.

• Like Like x 4
  4. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Managed my intervals at the weekend, amazingly as I usually climb out of bed into a book and stay there, but it doesn't get any easier. The intervals, I mean. They're absolutely ghastly. That the point? Does everyone find that?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Oh yes! But I just keep my mind on the fact it will be over soon and then try to regard the DOMS as a good thing even though I groan anytime I move...

• Like Like x 2
  6. LucySW

DOMS? Oh, okay, got it. Delayed onset muscle spasm.

#806 LucySW, Mar 7, 2016 at 8:51 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
  7. Snapsy

Morning! Did 30 lengths this morning (20m pool) - mixture of doggy paddle northbound and a sort of sculling backstroke southbound. Don't do 'proper' swimming - I cost my parents a fortune in failed lessons as a child!

Bike ride yesterday was amazing - gorgeous day, 8ish miles, picnic by a river - ahhhhhh....

:smug:

8. Snapsy

@LucySW - I love the idea of climbing out of bed and into a book - what a gorgeous expression!

• Like Like x 5
  9. Snapsy

Just back from my second session of week 2 of couch to 5k. Really enjoyed it but it's early days - and 5k still sounds such a long way!

And although I wear gloves I had such pain in my fingers and thumb from the cold - I've been home for 10 mins, 8 mins of which REALLY hurt. Still, nice and toasty now.

Have a great day, all!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snapsy

Morning! Swam 30 lengths this morning - nearly wimped out after 20 as the pool was busier than usual (I was 10 mins later than my favourite lane-bagsying time!) but remembered that I would be posting on this thread, which MADE me do it! Oh what a brilliant tool accountability is!

Glad I kept going.

Have a fab day, all!

:)

• Like Like x 6
  11. LucySW

Well, yesterday I had my twice a week orgy of morning intervals, then torture dance class plus 1hr work/home cycle ride. Still waiting for the benign BG effects to show up tho .. it doesn't always happen.

And My God it is torture. I love it really, but it stretches parts of my body I had forgotten I had.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Snapsy

Orgy? Torture? @LucySW are you sure this is exercise you think you're doing, or is there something more sinister afoot..?!

I'm v proud this morning - set off in a light drizzle and have come back just now having completed my 3 sessions of week 2 of the couch to 5k! Okay, so it was 'only' a total of 9 mins running interspersed with walking for 2 mins, preceded and followed by brisk 5 mins of walking, but for a non-runner it's actually getting me hooked!

Oh, and please remind me I've said that when it's pouring with rain and I don't want to leave the house....

Swimming tomorrow, then I'll see what fitness fantasies the weekend holds!

:eek:

Edited to correct massively misleading 9 minute reference!
    TOTAL was 9 mins, made up of 6 x 90 second intervals of running interspersed with walking for 2 minutes!

• Like Like x 4
    #812 Snapsy, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:43 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2016
  13. JenniferW

JenniferW Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My regular walking has taken a bit of a hit recently as my mind's been on lots of after-moving-flat things ... moving and re-moving furniture and the suchlike. So I'm still on my plateau somewhere between 8,000 and 9,000 steps (the fitness monitor goal moves up and down a bit). But I had one day out when for once it wasn't raining and ended up walking double the day's target! I am so fed up with what's feeling like an endless wet winter. I think by next winter I have to have literally taken the plunge and got back into going swimming - getting wet that way instead.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Snapsy

30 lengths with corrective insulin on board = massive hypo when I got home for second breakfast of tea and eggs. Was 6.9 when I left the pool, 3.0 when my eggs were cooked.

Glucose + more tea = no longer hypo, but had gone so low so quickly that it's going to be rather a difficult morning, as have now crossed the threshold into post hypo hangover ('hypover').

Not been like this for weeks and weeks so am cross.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah........ :banghead:

Still, onwards and upwards, if a little shakily. At least I'm now coherent again, to the husband's relief. Will gently head off to work shortly (a 3 min commute on foot, not driving!).

Happy Friday, all!

15. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I went through a period of going hypo every time I exercised - mentioned in this thread. I had to reduce insulin by half before starting and eventually ended up lowering my basal. This exercise stuff works...
    Gym today, bike, rower, weights, more bike.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Snapsy

I go hypo if I exercise at any other time of day than early morning. Afternoon walks and bike rides tend to be more spontaneous so obviously harder to plan for, so for those I generally need dramatic reductions and extra carbs to get through. First thing is always MUCH easier, as I know there is only porridge and the 'right' amount of insulin in me, with no real extra planning or thinking on my feet required!

However this morning I woke up 9.3 (had climbed overnight thanks to a second glass of red - unusual for me - last night) and my bolus calculator suggested a corrective dose on top of my porridge bolus. Had set a health event on my pump as I knew I was going swimming - 50% of normal bolus ratio is always spot on - but the extra corrective insulin proved to be too much when the exercise was taken into account. Lesson learned!

I was very pleased not to go low until I got home - thankfully the pool is very, very local.

Normally I do 50% breakfast insulin, disconnect for the swim and then TBR of 150% for an hour and a half afterwards to counteract the steady climb. It always works - unless I'm above 7 when I have my porridge insulin, in which case what happens today happens.

No worries - it's still been a good day, despite having been relatively gaga until about coffee break time...!

:rolleyes:

Starting week 3 of couch to 5k tomorrow morning - I don't know what's happened but I'm really looking forward to it! And you're right, @Diakat - exercise works!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Snapsy

Run 1 of week 3 this morning - went really well!
    5 mins warm-up walk, then 2x the following:
    90 seconds run
    90 seconds walk
    3 mins run
    2 mins walk
    Then 3 mins cool down walk.

Same total of 9 mins running as the week 2 sessions, just in heartier, more knackering chunks! Dreading what might be on the menu for next week...

Have a lovely weekend, all!

:)

18. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Arms ache today so avoided more arm things and went for mountain climbers, planks and squats today. Ouch.

• Like Like x 8
  19. Snapsy

Day of rest today, followed by a week of rest - BAH - as I have sore feet (running on road edges the last 2 sessions so my gait was being thrown out by the camber, I think - beginners' error - and sore hips. I thought I'd been doing so well - I was really enjoying myself!

:(

So, aiming to be just swimming next week (Monday, Thursday and Friday) and just general out-and-aboutness so as not to allow unfitness to creep back in, but no running - will then see how things feel this time next week with an aim to re-starting week 3 on a flatter surface!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, all. Have granted myself a day off household chores such as the ironing - *coughs* - all that standing, y'know, not good for sore feet... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. LucySW

No programmatic exercise yesterday Sunday, but kept on having to get on the cross-trainer because of little, er, quite big lapses (a birthday). I don't like to take whopping correction doses, so take a little one and get on the machine.

Will redouble my efforts today, er, NOW !

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook