Regular moderate exercise log

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much, @Alexandra100 ! I'm beginning to recognise some aspects of my relationship to food transferring to my relationship to exercise - but I am thinking the fact that I've recognised it and acknowledged it means perhaps that it isn't a 'thing'.
:)
To me the only downside of being in love with exercise is the danger of picking up an over-use injury. I see lots of articles talking abut exercise addiction and the importance of keeping the balance between the various aspects of one's life. How boring! If you have the good fortune to love doing something, I say, go ahead and DO IT. And if that means you don't have time to go out drinking with friends, fine, let them go running round the park with you! And if you don't have time to do the wash, just pick up the least grubby T-shirt off the bedroom floor and go do that parkrun. No-one will notice. At least, no-one will notice your grubby T-shirt, but they WILL notice your big smile.

Reactions: Japes and kev-w

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see lots of articles talking abut exercise addiction and the importance of keeping the balance between the various aspects of one's life. How boring! If you have the good fortune to love doing something, I say, go ahead and DO IT.
:happy::happy::happy: That makes me feel so much better - thank you!

The fairy lights got another outing this evening - we were all running round town decked in our Christmas finery (antlers, tinsel, Christmas jumpers, Santa hats.....) on a circuitous (that's putting it politely) route which took in as many of the Christmas lights as we could fit into five and a bit kilometres. We got a few toots from a few car horns - not for running in the road (we weren't), but simply for looking completely DAFT!!!! ;)

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A bad swimming week as I missed again, but I got my leg session done in the gym, 3 down, 1 to go in the morning, bloods have been a bit low this week but then you get weeks like that, it'd be nice to see the trends shown by a libre, but not ever having had one I can't say I miss it :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much, @Alexandra100 ! I'm beginning to recognise some aspects of my relationship to food transferring to my relationship to exercise - but I am thinking the fact that I've recognised it and acknowledged it means perhaps that it isn't a 'thing'.

That's my experience! As long as I'm aware of the possibility of getting obsessed and addictive about something, and recognise the signs it's happening, it's OK and doesn't all go wrong!

I'm slightly stir-crazy this end of nine days of snow and ice but have a VERY clean house as a result. There were snow days at work but I was able to get in, so I did. I'm kind of hoping the dark clouds which are building up are rain clouds and that the temperature outside is rising, so I'm hopeful the ice will clear soon (it's the side roads which are still treacherous as well as pavements which are used less frequently). As a church musician, I daren't risk breaking a limb or damaging fingers at this stage of December. Though, I will say I've felt very safe with the snow grips, but they are much more tiring to walk in when it's not all snow and ice. Getting them on and off is a pain, so it's either walk all the way or slither on the treacherous bits without them. I have used the buses more once they were back on though.

I have managed a three miles walk today, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snapsy and kev-w

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did my longest run yet this morning! 16km! Started dipping low after about 7km (hadn't turned my pump down enough) so had a couple of glucose tablets and unclipped my cannula (hands were too cold to push buttons) and was fine until about 10km, when I had another three glucose tablets - at 13km I checked my sugar again and was 5.4 with an upward arrow, so reconnected my pump (at 100% of my basal rate rather than the 20% I'd started with) and finished the run. I've been high and low and high since, and it's really cheesed me off, but actually I'm really flipping proud of myself.

I don't know if I'll ever crack it, but maybe one day.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did my longest run yet this morning! 16km! Started dipping low after about 7km (hadn't turned my pump down enough) so had a couple of glucose tablets and unclipped my cannula (hands were too cold to push buttons) and was fine until about 10km, when I had another three glucose tablets - at 13km I checked my sugar again and was 5.4 with an upward arrow, so reconnected my pump (at 100% of my basal rate rather than the 20% I'd started with) and finished the run. I've been high and low and high since, and it's really cheesed me off, but actually I'm really flipping proud of myself.

I don't know if I'll ever crack it, but maybe one day.

I'm proud of you too!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy. Well done you. It's a great feeling ain't it!!!!!!!!
Recall the first time I went under 7 mins for a 2 km row. I just wanted to tell everyone in the gym, sadly I don't think many would have understood my euphoria.
Amazing what a few glucotabs can help you achieve.

Maybe one day we'll crack it. Life will be **** boring if we do:):):):):):):)

And yes you get another BANANA.;););)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
BANAAAAAAAAANA! Whoop whoop! Thanks so much, @therower !

Stiff foot yesterday put paid to my plans to do the 5-mile club cross country - went for a long lovely walk with Mr S instead, and was very happy to do so.

Running club this morning - HILARIOUS - we did a sort of hare and hounds trail for our leader's 40th birthday, with a tea and mince pie stop in the middle. On the trail was a gorgeous tree bedecked with 30 candy canes and a Peperami for Snapsy!

I love this running lark!

:):):)

Reactions: Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, the joy and delight of being able to walk again as per usual weekday routine (before work, after work, 1/2 hr - hour after evening meal.) I feel so much better for a day's usual walking.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh, the joy and delight of being able to walk again as per usual weekday routine (before work, after work, 1/2 hr - hour after evening meal.) I feel so much better for a day's usual walking.
That's great to hear, @Japes !

Thought of you yesterday - it was our church carol service and I wondered if you were busy exercising on those organ pedals of yours at a carol service too.

(Voice a little husky today thanks to overcooking my singing volume during Hark the Herald. Does that count as exercise?)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Singing is said to be very good for the lungs.
I think you're right! My breath control was much improved on this time last year, thanks to all this exercise I've been doing - now if all this running could only make me sing in TUNE my fellow congregants would be ever so grateful.....!

I got all experimental with the almost-forgotten-from-my-schooldays descants (O come all ye faithful) - it wasn't, erm, pretty......... Mr S was MORTIFIED.
;)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes, I was definitely at the organ for our carol service. No "Hark the Herald Angels" as that'll be at Midnight Mass.

My singing, clarinet playing and general breath control have all definitely improved as a result of the walking. Um... my ability to project my voice across a room full of noisy students has improved as well. Very, very useful, we find.

Mr S would probably rather sit with my sister who disowns me on all occasions (funerals, mostly) when singing is involved. She finds me too loud. I point out, as an organist, I'm always grateful when people do sing out and don't leave it to me.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a really CROSS day today and I'm now CROSS about running club - I want to go, I intend to go, I'm about to get changed ready to go - but I'm cold and tired and CROSS and I've eaten FAAAAR too many almonds (I've been feeling vulnerable and clingy today - pah! - and overeating is how I punish myself for 'stuff' grrr grrrr grrrrr) and although I really really want to go, I really really DON'T WANT TO GO.

But as I know it'll make me feel better, I am going. So there.

Thanks for listening. Apologies for the capital letters! What a very shouty Snapsy this evening.....

Shall report in (calmly) after my run. Yet another outing for my fairy lights - will all these pre-Christmas 'let's have a run round the WHOLE town looking at EVERY SINGLE CHRISTMAS LIGHT while wearing elf outfits and Santa hats' runs EVER end......? Oh I guess they will - in fact by this time next week, in all likelihood!

:rolleyes:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy . What do you expect? It's Tuesday!!!!!!!!!! Everyone knows Tuesdays are sh*t.
Worst day of the week. So bad in fact that at my place of work we refer to Tuesday in a special way ( may get a slapped wrist if I actually go down that route ).
Tuesday. Neither here nor there. Pointless day. Far worse than Monday. Only good thing about Tuesday is the fact that it doesn't happen at the weekend.
Go get 'um on the run. Do it because it's Tuesday.:mad::mad::mad:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've eaten FAAAAR too many almonds
Not the worst possible sin of gluttony, by a very long chalk! In fact almonds are often quoted as one of those miracle foods, so eat enough of them and you'll probably live forever.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just the thought of running a few k's these days makes my knees ache as a warning :) but the gyms going ok, no missed sessions although todays had a starting blood of 11, which made things a bit harder, but it dropped to 10 afterwards which worked out as I took the little un swimming from school and finished that with a blood of 8, which made me happy :)

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gymmed and swimmed (yes I know that's ungrammatical but it sounds nice) this afternoon - it was fab! I'd woken up with a cracking headache this morning and it just wouldn't clear - thankfully the walk I took round the village delivering Christmas cards at lunchtime cleared it, otherwise I wouldn't've gone to the gym.

Fresh air won the day!

Reactions: mytype1.life