Remission Strikes..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my (now annual) Diabetes review today. Apparently I am officially in remission.. or so the Diabetes Nurse said.
Left her @Debandez Success stories and had quite a long chat about Type 2 treatment in our practise. Progress is being made.
The old doc who didn't know much has been replaced as Head of Diabetes care by the new Head of Practise who was the GP who "came out" to me as a low carber. A glimmer of hope.
This time the nurse was more open to chats so I did my usual spiel about low carb and she was more interested than last year.
I also asked how many had good control.. not many was the reply although it would appear I'm not alone.. hurrah.
She did a quick check and told me that the practise of 23,000 has just over 1,100 on the Diabetic Register which I'm guessing includes T1's as well as T2's. So probably 1,000 T2's which looks about right although I'm guessing there are quite a few undiagnosed out there.
Mentioned possibly setting up a patient led support group which she didn't dismiss immediately so maybe we have some hope and will try and get her along to the meeting i and a few others on the PPG hope to have (one day) about diabetes care.
So all in all quite a positive morning.. we also had a chat about statins.. and carnivore which she looked a bit shocked at!

T2#Me

Had my (now annual) Diabetes review today. Apparently I am officially in remission.. or so the Diabetes Nurse said.
Left her @Debandez Success stories and had quite a long chat about Type 2 treatment in our practise. Progress is being made.
The old doc who didn't know much has been replaced as Head of Diabetes care by the new Head of Practise who was the GP who "came out" to me as a low carber. A glimmer of hope.
This time the nurse was more open to chats so I did my usual spiel about low carb and she was more interested than last year.
I also asked how many had good control.. not many was the reply although it would appear I'm not alone.. hurrah.
She did a quick check and told me that the practise of 23,000 has just over 1,100 on the Diabetic Register which I'm guessing includes T1's as well as T2's. So probably 1,000 T2's which looks about right although I'm guessing there are quite a few undiagnosed out there.
Mentioned possibly setting up a patient led support group which she didn't dismiss immediately so maybe we have some hope and will try and get her along to the meeting i and a few others on the PPG hope to have (one day) about diabetes care.
So all in all quite a positive morning.. we also had a chat about statins.. and carnivore which she looked a bit shocked at!
"officially in remission" just looks so cool ... congratulations

Reactions: bulkbiker

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wear it with pride, @bulkbiker .

To be in the local paper is probably easy. The topic of the article possible less so. ;) :)

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congratulations.
You must feel so good, how awesome is it, to leave the Doctor's office, knowing that your health is much improved, that what you are doing is working, and you're getting a desired outcome.
You are an inspiration to a lot of us here...both active Posters and 'lurkers'.
Thank you for your generosity of spirit, you're a veritable compendium of priceless information, uncommon wisdom and a credible source of safe effective strategy when it comes to taming this condition.
Well done.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read that and had a WOW moment. What a difference a year makes. Just when you had her hooked you threw in the statins and carnivore haha :) joking aside that was an extremely positive appointment and time well spent. And gives us so much hope for the future. The reason there are not so many with good control we all know is lack of education on the HCP side. It doesn't feel like we have to turn the titanic now though to me, just a very very large cruiseliner!!! Count me in if you at running a support group ;-) lucky patients, you have so much knowledge and are willing to share. An idea sprung into my head whilst reading your post. I wonder if it's worth suggesting when pts have an appointment and their BP is checked for whatever reason that a finger prick could be taken too. Takes seconds. If every surgery took that initiative a few more pre and t2d might be highlighted. Probably too optimistic given appointment slot times that said. And when I went with my issues last December and he pricked mine at my request (dry mouth only real dymptom) it was 5.7.And be dud say ' i would be surprised if you were diabetic ' so i might just have talked myself right out of that!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
CONGRATULATIONS bye the way on gaining an official title of in remission! Wear it with pride and in the knowledge you have helped so many others get to that very same happier and healthier place. And I include myself as one of the many.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done on the Remission, well deserved.:)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fabulous! Nothing less than you deserve though - you work so hard - really chuffed for you :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Congratulations, Batman always a winner! You and Bluetit (aka Daf n Des) saved my bacon when I arrived here on DCUK and not only gave me advice and hope but some great laughs.
You deserve your official Remission badge and a huge pat on the back. Well done.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations.
You must feel so good, how awesome is it, to leave the Doctor's office, knowing that your health is much improved, that what you are doing is working, and you're getting a desired outcome.
You are an inspiration to a lot of us here...both active Posters and 'lurkers'.
Thank you for your generosity of spirit, you're a veritable compendium of priceless information, uncommon wisdom and a credible source of safe effective strategy when it comes to taming this condition.
Well done.
Thank you very much for those exceedingly kind words..makes it all worthwhile. x

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great news, so pleased for you, at last medical professionals are starting to take note of low carb, my DN was really surprised with my results when I told her how I manage my diabetes! Onwards and upwards :happy: x

Reactions: zand and bulkbiker