Remission

Robertgray30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I was diagnosed with Type 2 some time ago (2011 I think) and have sporadically tried to get to grips with it.

My last checkup had my HBA1C at 62 which was up considerably for my annual checkup (HBA1C 54) last year. I think I convinced myself I was "being good" and took my eye off the ball. The nurse wanted me to take additional medication which I am resistant to, and speaking later to the doctor convinced him that I would improve my diet and lifestyle by being more active (I've just retired so not sitting at a desk all day).
I would like to think I could achieve remission and given that I consider myself to be slightly overweight was wondering if remission is achievable in all cases. I have read that remission can occur when losing 15 kg in 3 to 4 month. I am 5'10 and around 83 kg so there's no way I need to loose 15kg.
My question here is, Is remission and cessation of medication possible in all cases?

Rob

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I was diagnosed with Type 2 some time ago (2011 I think) and have sporadically tried to get to grips with it.

My last checkup had my HBA1C at 62 which was up considerably for my annual checkup (HBA1C 54) last year. I think I convinced myself I was "being good" and took my eye off the ball. The nurse wanted me to take additional medication which I am resistant to, and speaking later to the doctor convinced him that I would improve my diet and lifestyle by being more active (I've just retired so not sitting at a desk all day).
I would like to think I could achieve remission and given that I consider myself to be slightly overweight was wondering if remission is achievable in all cases. I have read that remission can occur when losing 15 kg in 3 to 4 month. I am 5'10 and around 83 kg so there's no way I need to loose 15kg.
My question here is, Is remission and cessation of medication possible in all cases?

Rob

You could start lifting weights

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly not in all cases is it possible to achieve remission but I’d say all type twos will benefit to some extent by eating low carb You will almost certainly lose some excess weight if it’s there to be lost as a happy by product and reduce your hb1ac to some extent. The nhs focuses huge long weight loss to achieve control when most of us t2 in here actually find it’s the other way around. Carbs are the key.

what do you have to lose other than weight, high numbers and avoid meds you don’t want.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Rob
Hi Rob,
It sounds like you are a TOFI (Thin Outside, Fat Inside) Type 2 - as are about 10% of us diagnosed Type 2's. There are probably a higher percentage of TOFI Type 2's undiagnosed since we are not obvious candidates for Type 2.

I have heard it said said that a weight loss of over 10% should make a noticeable difference in fasting BG, but you can reduce Blood Glucose highs and spikes plus your HbA1C much quicker than that by going Low Carb. Then any weight loss is just a bonus!

Concentrate in Carb reduction, not weight loss. Exercise does help but 'you can't outrun a poor diet'.
Get a BG Meter that uses cheap test strips ( Tee2+ or CodeFree are cheap and popular) then test before and 2hrs after every meal until you know how the different foods affect you in different quantities.

Is remission and cessation of meds possible in all cases? - The short blunt answer is 'Not in practice'. Dr David Unwin has a 50% remission rate with Low Carb (at the 2yr mark) with his Type 2 diabetic patients. Those are the best numbers foerany GP Surgery in the UK.
But many Type 2's don't actually want to come off all the medication. Some in this forum stay on Metformin even after years in the normal Blood Glucose range.

Reactions: HSSS

Robertgray30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your replies everyone
I was supplied with a GlucoRX meter a while ago but I stopped the receipt of the lancet'sand test strips because I got tired of the needle. Because of the the high HB1AC reading I have picked it up again and have been testing myself once a day to see if my glucose levels come down generally. Interesting to hear about TOFI. ...Gives me hope that I can improve my situation.

Thanks again
Rob

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
The most important factor for me is to remain at a sensible 'normalish' A1c.
If I can achieve that by eating less carbs (as I have done) then great. If I still needed to have the help of drugs as well, to achieve this then that is exactly what I would do, for certain.

I pray that stories like mine, {please see my recent post... named 'In Remission'}
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/in-remission.169402/#post-2159359
will not give false hope or an over-optimistic, unrealistic view of dropping BGL and coming off needed drugs to the detriment of their health and an unhealthy long set back. Which perhaps, would wrongly, be blamed on an unsustainable 'fad' LCHF diet.
Po

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was supplied with a GlucoRX meter a while ago but I stopped the receipt of the lancet'sand test strips because I got tired of the needle. Because of the the high HB1AC reading I have picked it up again and have been testing myself once a day to see if my glucose levels come down generally. Interesting to hear about TOFI. ...Gives me hope that I can improve my situation.

Thanks again
Rob
My BMI at 22.4 is perfect!

I did worry if I stayed eating low amounts of carbs I'd lose weight and become as skinny as a rake.
NOPE! Not a bit of it. The higher fat content of my new way of eating has seen to that.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost quite a bit of weight, but almost by accident - I keep my blood glucose levels from spiking by avoiding high carb meals and although I eat well I have seen considerable losses is size, changes in shape, increased physical strength, and lost weight too.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Rob

Firstly, at 5'10" and 83 kg you are overweight (BMI of 26.1).
At 6' my sometimes achieved target weight is 73 kg which is still just above the middle of the BMI normal range, so you could lose 10 kg without problems and probably with quite a bit of benefit.
Losing 15 kg is not unreasonable.
68 kg puts you right in the middle of the green band on the BMI calculator. BMI 21.4.

The downside is that you were diagnosed around 2011. I was diagnosed 2008 (so three years earlier) when I dropped from 92 kg to 88 kg very quickly.
It took me many years to fully get a grip and get my weight down to 74 kg (which fits with the 15 kg weight loss) so I am not in remission but I do still have reasonable BG control 11 years after diagnosis on just Metformin.
I think that the key to remission is to lose weight quickly as soon as possible after diagnosis.
There is no guarantee that it will work anyway, but losing the weight is a very good thing regardless of remission by giving you much better control.

On the 15 kg figure - I would have expected that to be a percentage of body weight.
A different task if you are 4'8" or 6'4" to lose the same amount of weight.
Then again that may be a magic figure to clear all the fat from your liver and pancreas.

There is no guarantee of remission; we are all different.
However IMHO losing 15 kg may or may not get you into remission but it will make your BG control a lot easier.

"Being good" - been there, done that, got the food stains on the T-shirt. :banghead:

"I could never lose that much" - BTDTBTT. Each time you achieve a major milestone (e.g losing 5 kg) everyone will worry that you are too skinny and fret about you. Then they will adjust and then they will do the same thing when you lose the next 5 kg.
People who have known me for decades keep saying "But there's practically nothing of you!" but I am still above mid range BMI and could easily lose a few more pounds.

You may have to buy more clothes, of course.
I am still getting used to buying Medium in everything when for decades I was XL.

Robertgray30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your right. I tell people I need to loose weight and they say the same things. I think Diabetes should come with a rash so people will accept that something needs to be done to correct the situation

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks again
Rob
Tired of the needle how? Was it an adjustable lancet for depth? Did you use warm hands whilst well hydrated? These things all make it less sore. Many times I don’t even feel the jab using an aviva multiclix device.

Once a day will give you very little useful info. Test before a meal and then 2hrs later. More than a 2mmol rise means you ate more carbs than your body can deal with. If it’s more then cut the carbs next time you make a similar meal or have an alternative.

If it’s noticeably high after a meal a walk might help lower it a bit quicker, and advise you to avoid any more carbs til it drops again. I’d retest til it’s back to pre meal levels and note how long this takes over and above the perfect scenario of 2 hrs (though this is a tall order to achieve for many I appreciate and am one of those that don’t actually make that goal regularly) Long term the goal is to keep all readings below 7.8mmol but this might take a while.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I relate to being "tired of the needle" and am grateful that I am not obliged to test all the time.
I tend to have testing campaigns for a few days and then stop for a while.
Then again I am very needle shy.

For those who can afford it I would recommend a Freestyle Libre (or perhaps two) to gain a much greater understanding of how ones body works over the full 24 hour period.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Rob

According to the NHS BMI Calculator, you are just into the overweight category. It calculates your healthy weight range to be around 59 to 79, so you could consider a little trimming up.

As other have said nobody really knows, without a load of tests who will and who won't be able to reverse (insert word of your choice), but it's worth a whirl.

If you are taking meds, check with your Doc before any massive changes

Reactions: Robertgray30

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I did not want to focus on weight loss, as even though I was/am overweight it was the high blood sugar that was the problem.
Metabolic syndrome is not necessarily fixed by just losing weight - I've been on diets in the past where I save calories for my sugar treats at the expense of eating enough protein, etc.

While there is some research stating that losing a lot of weight if you are in the obese category, or going ultra low calorie for a few weeks, can be a successful way to lower blood sugar, in everything I've read so far the patients actually were low carb as a result of the diet even though they 'counted' calories.
Meanwhile there is plenty of good quality evidence that low carb is successful for most people, and results in a high rate of people getting into remission. TOFI people can go low carb without losing weight if they don't need to, or just lose a few kilos.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The issue with once a day is that it only tells you how you how you are that particular day and after that particular meal exercise stress sleep etc. You won’t know what had what effect.

You’d learn more useful info more quickly testing one meal a day if you need to limit strip use.
Because I had such a high reading I am testing once a day to see if the change in routine and diet has an effect. I will be moving to testing before and after meals

Reactions: Robertgray30

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tired of the needle how? Was it an adjustable lancet for depth? Did you use warm hands whilst well hydrated? These things all make it less sore. Many times I don’t even feel the jab using an aviva multiclix device.

Once a day will give you very little useful info. Test before a meal and then 2hrs later. More than a 2mmol rise means you ate more carbs than your body can deal with. If it’s more then cut the carbs next time you make a similar meal or have an alternative.

If it’s noticeably high after a meal a walk might help lower it a bit quicker, and advise you to avoid any more carbs til it drops again. I’d retest til it’s back to pre meal levels and note how long this takes over and above the perfect scenario of 2 hrs (though this is a tall order to achieve for many I appreciate and am one of those that don’t actually make that goal regularly) Long term the goal is to keep all readings below 7.8mmol but this might take a while.
This should be told/given to every single person on day 1 of their diagnoses.
Why, Oh! why, is this simple little bit of information not globally acknowledged.
Is it just me? when is this ignorance and total madness ever going to end?

The powers that be, have known this simple fact for generations. This is no conspiracy theory, it is simply a fact that has been kept from the masses and STILL is.

I am as mad as hell

Now at least we have a meter at our disposal, to prove beyond a shadow of doubt, a low carbohydrate approach to lowing blood sugar works.

Never before in human history, have we had the tools, and the means to educate and inform, 'quite literally' the whole world.
The days of ignorance are in decline. TPTB know this all to well... Hence the attacks by the (owned) media via the Internet papers and every other means at their disposal to discredit and disprove the truth (sic)
LCHF works!

Last edited:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Follow the money. How many millions of pounds the NHS would save, and large pharma lose.

However surely, the main, most important fact is, how many lives would saved and improved by correct management?
Based on the facts as we 'know' them, from personal experience.
Po

Waiting for the echo as the truth drops down a very deep rabbit hole.

Shills, this is where you post your diatribes
Moderated to avoid getting the site shut down ;)