Remote controls in the sun!!!-OOOps!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

Well, living in Wales-I never expected to experience this!!!!

Went exploring today, and had my remote contol in my bum bag. My explorations weren't in a hot car or such like-they were up a mountain looking for mine entrances and in a pretty much wooded area...after a while up there, walked home and took off my bum bag and put on patio table.
Had 2 cups of tea with my friend on the patio and thought that I better do a blood test...
The remote wouldn't switch on at all. Tried and tried and remote was blank. Went indoors, in the shade, out of shade etc...just dead....

Went indoors and got spare batteries...my friend was assisting me and took out the old batteries, and said 'have you felt the heat of these batteries?''-they were burning hot......he swopped them over for the new ones...and tried the remote....still dead. We both thought, leave for a few minutes and try again before getting out the spare meter...Then tried and got a message that the remote had overheated...and I think it was an E54 message..saying to place remote in a cooler place......friend suggested the fridge...but declined that and put it on a granite worktop without cover etc to cool down.....

Tried a couple minutes later...and everything ok......and remains so.

I have never experienced this with my remote before, or with any blood test machine to be honest. It was not exceptionally hot here, but it was hotter than normal. My bag containing my remote was on patio table, but it was not in direct sun, and the bag was zipped up.

Just a warning to others that this can happen. I was aware of pumps not getting too hot-because of the insulin, but was not aware that a remote could overheat in less than hot heat....and appear totally dead.....only after the batteries were changed did it give the overheating message......

jopar

Not with this meter yet..

But I've had this a couple of times with other bg meters in the past...

That was in a handbag I used to have, a rucksack style one, with black fake leather material, oh and when I left it in the car or should I say it fell out on to the seat fully exposed to some real nice baking sun rays :shock: But all survived once cooled they worked without any problems...

Glad to hear you decided against your friends suggestion of the fridge, as well the temp difference would have caused condisation not good for the contacts at all... Just leaving it in the shade on the table should be enough to bring it back to operating temps..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Felt a bit of a plonker though!!! As we were going up to a dis-used mine that i had discovered and nobdy welshthat lives here seems toknow about-we thought we would take a jaunt with the dogs....
I had got told off by him for going down in to the mine previously but didn't know whether we would do it this time-as being an ex miner-he was very wary due to gases etc.....so I had spare set with me, lots of glucose, told him wherre my disconnection was, and how to do it and did everything OTT to make sure that if we got stuck down the mine (if I managed to persuade him to go in to it) that if anything horrible happened -at least I would be okay hypo wise and set wise for 4 days!!!!!! Knew I had a new cartridge..

It was holy embarassing to get home and after an hour to do another test and for the first time ever experience over-heating!!!!

(We didn't go down the mine, although we did find another entrance and some huge boulders of anthracite, and dram rails..I had never seen coal prior to being put in coal bags years and delivered to our house 40+ years ago all in small blocks etc...so despite feeling like a real plonker...I have shown a true welshman who has lived here all his life a mine that nobody knows about and is dated 1910!!!!)

Thought I would just let people know what can happen, and NOT in just hot, hot climates!!!!! I did think of condensation-thats why it just went on granite top, didn't want to give it more error messages-as I know my fridge is very, very cold-and was worried i would forget it too!!!!! It soon cooled down out of it's case on the granite...and appears ok thankfully!!!!!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I keep a spare meter in the car - One Touch Ultra 2 - & this occasionally is too hot to work.