Replacement Knee

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
OK, I was phoned Thursday saying they had a bed at 9.45... I actually got the bed at 2.15pm and then straight down for the op..so no wasting about but boy was I hungry and mouth so dry.
All went OK. The pain once the anesthetic had worn off was horrendous and through the night I did require extra medication but refused the Tramadol after that evening - makes me have bad dreams. I only now take 2 x Paracetamol 4 times a day and 1 x Ibrprobufen three times a day so save the last one before bed. Had to ask hubby to use back bedroom as I am so restless having to use a cold pack on my knee several times during the night, and getting any ease is hard. BUT, this knee so far has been easier than the other as I was bending it to 91 degrees and did the stairs , so signed off by the hospital physios on Sunday, It took me nearly 6 months to get my left knee to this stage so I must have done the pre op exercises well. Told would be discharged at 12.30 but arrived home yesterday afternoon about 4...John persuaded the staff to let me go and he would call later for the prescriptions which are always late!

Dressing to be changed Friday, and clips out on the 19th or there abouts..not looking forward to that!
Physio visits start at 6 weeks.
So its crutches all the way for a while now, but I will say I feel really well, not out of my mind with Tramadol and Oromorph as last time, so thankful I have no pain at all and can put up with the discomfort

I wish I could wave a wand and all the exercises done and dusted but they have to be done 4 times a day. ( starting tomorrow, leg a litle stiff and going up and down stairs at least 8 times today is quite slow going and knackering!)

Bloods been a little higher than usual, but thats the trauma and medication, hospital staff weren't bothered so I am not worrying.
I even requested fish and chips with mushy peas last night for tea and though I enjoyed them maybe that was why I didn't get much sleep either...

Reactions: 6 people

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hello Hazel, glad your op went so well. I still haven't got a date for my knee but reading your post has give me a lift.
When you get more mobile your bloods will improve . :) :) :)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Dear Hazel.
Stick in there,Its hard at first,I had mine last last year,but you forget how hard it was,I just had paracetamol when I got home apart from one night when I couldnt settle and I took codine phosphate ,dont suffer but stronger painkillers causes consipation in me.
Believe me it gets better,it took me about six weeks,but I went out if only for a coffee and very short walk.
I found nights the hardest and my heels got sore lying on my back,and the bed clothes on my feet,I put a box under the duvet and put a cushion under my ankle.
All the best x

Reactions: 3 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Dear Hazel.
Stick in there,Its hard at first,I had mine last last year,but you forget how hard it was,I just had paracetamol when I got home apart from one night when I couldnt settle and I took codine phosphate ,dont suffer but stronger painkillers causes consipation in me.
Believe me it gets better,it took me about six weeks,but I went out if only for a coffee and very short walk.
I found nights the hardest and my heels got sore lying on my back,and the bed clothes on my feet,I put a box under the duvet and put a cushion under my ankle.
All the best x
I had a poor night last night again. Up several times, I had actually saved a Paracetamol to take during the night, I know this will have to be accounted for in the days total (8) so only going to have one every 4 hours and then hopefully I can take two in the night.
I think I will ring the Docs and ask their advice...will I get it? will let you know
The uncomfortable bit is all the bruising coming out, I have some Arnica gel which is past its use by date but still worked last night....will get hubby to get some today as I remember using that last time.
WEill get there a bit more slowly than I thought...

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Sorry Hazel you had a bad night,believe me it does get better.you are doing well going up and down stairs,keep up with the exersize even though its uncomfortable,my knee looked like a football at first and all red,Ice packs help.
after the first couple of weeks it will be a lot better.
Dont worry about having the clips out,it was a bit of stinging but took less than a minuite.
Keep me posted,and take care x

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OK, I was phoned Thursday saying they had a bed at 9.45... I actually got the bed at 2.15pm and then straight down for the op..so no wasting about but boy was I hungry and mouth so dry.
All went OK. The pain once the anesthetic had worn off was horrendous and through the night I did require extra medication but refused the Tramadol after that evening - makes me have bad dreams. I only now take 2 x Paracetamol 4 times a day and 1 x Ibrprobufen three times a day so save the last one before bed. Had to ask hubby to use back bedroom as I am so restless having to use a cold pack on my knee several times during the night, and getting any ease is hard. BUT, this knee so far has been easier than the other as I was bending it to 91 degrees and did the stairs , so signed off by the hospital physios on Sunday, It took me nearly 6 months to get my left knee to this stage so I must have done the pre op exercises well. Told would be discharged at 12.30 but arrived home yesterday afternoon about 4...John persuaded the staff to let me go and he would call later for the prescriptions which are always late!

Dressing to be changed Friday, and clips out on the 19th or there abouts..not looking forward to that!
Physio visits start at 6 weeks.
So its crutches all the way for a while now, but I will say I feel really well, not out of my mind with Tramadol and Oromorph as last time, so thankful I have no pain at all and can put up with the discomfort

I wish I could wave a wand and all the exercises done and dusted but they have to be done 4 times a day. ( starting tomorrow, leg a litle stiff and going up and down stairs at least 8 times today is quite slow going and knackering!)

Bloods been a little higher than usual, but thats the trauma and medication, hospital staff weren't bothered so I am not worrying.
I even requested fish and chips with mushy peas last night for tea and though I enjoyed them maybe that was why I didn't get much sleep either...

Very interesting read. I am having TKR number two next Wednesday 18th March. Found first knee extremely difficult, in fact I was an emotional wreck for weeks.

Not sure if knowing what to expect this time round is a good or bad thing!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Very interesting read. I am having TKR number two next Wednesday 18th March. Found first knee extremely difficult, in fact I was an emotional wreck for weeks.

Not sure if knowing what to expect this time round is a good or bad thing!
Lynn.
All the best with your opp next week,no its not easy,but you have to ask yourself was your last knee worth it?
Its worth putting up with a few weels of discomfort for the relief of pain in the long run,mine is great now but I put up with years of pain before it was done.
The thing about joints they dont get better,only worse

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lynn.
All the best with your opp next week,no its not easy,but you have to ask yourself was your last knee worth it?
Its worth putting up with a few weels of discomfort for the relief of pain in the long run,mine is great now but I put up with years of pain before it was done.
The thing about joints they dont get better,only worse
Thanks.

I feel that my bad knee has held back my new one, to some extent. Really fed up of hobbling around and not being able to walk out with my gorgeous grandsons.

Can I ask how long ago you had your procedure? My new knee is doing well, but I still have the most weird and wonderful sensations most of the time. My surgeon has said it can take one to two years to get full benefit and I suspect the sensations are due to muscles and nerves regenerating.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Thanks.

I feel that my bad knee has held back my new one, to some extent. Really fed up of hobbling around and not being able to walk out with my gorgeous grandsons.

Can I ask how long ago you had your procedure? My new knee is doing well, but I still have the most weird and wonderful sensations most of the time. My surgeon has said it can take one to two years to get full benefit and I suspect the sensations are due to muscles and nerves regenerating.
I had my knee replacement in Feb 2013,just over 2 years ago,we had moved house and area two weeks before that,so I went back to Chesterfield to have it done because I didnt want to go on another waiting list,I was in hospital for two days and then a car journey of 5 hours to Kent..I realy cant remember it being any problem after six weeks,at least no pain,I had to work on exersize to prevent it going stiff,I dont give it a thought now.
I have had a hip replacement since then,the knee replacement was worse.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Sorry Hazel you had a bad night,believe me it does get better.you are doing well going up and down stairs,keep up with the exersize even though its uncomfortable,my knee looked like a football at first and all red,Ice packs help.
after the first couple of weeks it will be a lot better.
Dont worry about having the clips out,it was a bit of stinging but took less than a minuite.
Keep me posted,and take care x
Rung the doc and has he has prescribed cocodalmol for nighttime...hubby going to pick it up now., Been reading up about it and now worrying...

A friend just rang she had her knee done on 29th Dec, has to have it manipulated on 30th March!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Thanks.

All the best with the op, I know it will be worth it in the end for all us suffering at the moment...

Reactions: 2 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Having pre op assessment on Monday and this morning had a letter asking to phone re two dates on offer for the op. As the office is closed today going to take the letter with me on Monday. Second knee replacement, not looking forward to the after effects of pain and stay in hospital then slow recovery at home but it has to be done so I had best shut up now:sorry: that's the problem with knowing whats going to happen next, I was so unprepared when I had the left knee done 7 years ago...I did say at the time....never again! Just thankful we don't have three knees...;)[/
Rung the doc and has he has prescribed cocodalmol for nighttime...hubby going to pick it up now., Been reading up about it and now worrying...

A friend just rang she had her knee done on 29th Dec, has to have it manipulated on 30th March!!!!!!

Really got paranoid at the thought of manipulation. My bend took a while to get going and has only ever reached 100 degrees. Luckily my surgeon believes that the bend will continue to improve and not in the 'six week window of,opportunity' that I have heard spouted so many times.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All the best with the op, I know it will be worth it in the end for all us suffering at the moment...
Thanks Hazel. I have been very fortunate to have both knees done using the NHS Choose & Book Scheme i.e. Private care on the NHS. Hopefully, that means that the op won't get postponed. Nothing worse that getting stoked up then it being cancelled.

With you on the Tramadol front. Hallucinations and fainting was my experience with it. Like you, came out of hospital taking only paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

What kind of night have you had?

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
What kind of night have you had?
A very restfull one even though I woke up several times I didn't seem to move except once!!! I must have tried to turn on my side and my knee didn't....that was painful so had to put the cold pad on for a while, even so I went back to sleep again and woke at 5...needing a cup of tea..so went downstairs, made the tea... thought how on earth can I carry a cup of tea with crutches....sorted! poured tea into a card beaker, put the top on, place the beaker into a cup......done, never spilled a drop! The DN came this morning redid the dressing it was very clean and healthy told me to try elevating my legs as a little swelling had started, also to phone doc to call out and check though she wasn't worried as this apparently happens. Had a nap whilst legs elevated, something I never ever do, woke, got up and walked across the room without my crutches...forgot! hubby nearly had a HA.

Reactions: 4 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's amazing how inventive you become with this op!

Please don't feel guilty about snoozing during the day. In fact, my physio insisted I had a proper 'on the bed' rest/sleep twice a day. Apparently, it helps with the swelling far more than sitting in a chair, whether the leg is elevated or not.

How lucky you are to have a DN call to redo your dressing. That was down to my husband once I was home.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
It's amazing how inventive you become with this op!

Please don't feel guilty about snoozing during the day. In fact, my physio insisted I had a proper 'on the bed' rest/sleep twice a day. Apparently, it helps with the swelling far more than sitting in a chair, whether the leg is elevated or not.

How lucky you are to have a DN call to redo your dressing. That was down to my husband once I was home.
Thanks Lynn1, I think I will try having naps after the doc has been tomorrow afternoon.

Reactions: 4 people