Replacement Knee

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you , how have you been?

Not too bad at all this time. Just over three weeks now and getting to the 'bored out of my brain' phase. So difficult to achieve anything whilst still using two sticks.

Got hubs to take me out for brunch today which has broken the day up for me.

What date is your op?

Reactions: 2 people

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Good your doing well and getting out. I'm going in on the 13th and op on the 14th . I don't think I could have worked much longer if I had to wait .

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Best of luck Lorraine, we will wish you well. Had a change in medication, naproxen, one taken morning and evening, this has taken all the swelling and heat out of my leg. I am keeping legs elevated and this is also helping along with the addition of water tabs prescribed for 7 days only, then bloods done. I do feel tons better, keep forgetting my crutch when I walk, managed upstairs without it and did one foot on each stair but chickened out coming down and shouted hubby for my crutch! 5 weeks post op yesterday.
Just fancied fish and chips tonight so hubby went and got them. New refurbished chippy in the village and I must say they were delicious.... not checking bloods until morning!

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Best of luck Lorraine, we will wish you well. Had a change in medication, naproxen, one taken morning and evening, this has taken all the swelling and heat out of my leg. I am keeping legs elevated and this is also helping along with the addition of water tabs prescribed for 7 days only, then bloods done. I do feel tons better, keep forgetting my crutch when I walk, managed upstairs without it and did one foot on each stair but chickened out coming down and shouted hubby for my crutch! 5 weeks post op yesterday.
Just fancied fish and chips tonight so hubby went and got them. New refurbished chippy in the village and I must say they were delicious.... not checking bloods until morning!
I'm happy your doing so much better. Mmm a fish supper sounds amazing , I haven't had chips in ages .
Just wait and see how your readings go in the morning.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Morning Hazel. Interesting to hear about your change to Naproxen. Have a supply prescribed for my polymyalgia and have been thinking about trying them instead of Ibuprofen. Sleeping is quite a problem and nothing is really effective. Certainly a bad night last night.

Glad you enjoyed your fish and chips. Any repercussions?

Reactions: 4 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Morning Hazel. Interesting to hear about your change to Naproxen. Have a supply prescribed for my polymyalgia and have been thinking about trying them instead of Ibuprofen. Sleeping is quite a problem and nothing is really effective. Certainly a bad night last night.

Glad you enjoyed your fish and chips. Any repercussions?
Sleeping better, can manage to sleep for 2 hours on my side, then wake, turn over and another two hours... so this has helped.
Naproxen has certainly helped. I am thinking of cutting down the cocodelmol as it causes constipation and the lactulose syrup by itself doesn't work so resorted to taking dulcolax tab as well. If its not one thing holding you back its another.... LOL not finger pricked as yet. had breakfast and might do it now......will let you know.

Hope you are doing OK. I am on a patients forum and everyone has problems with sleep. They should warn you about this when they arrange the ops......at least you would be aware that this happens.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sleeping better, can manage to sleep for 2 hours on my side, then wake, turn over and another two hours... so this has helped.
Naproxen has certainly helped. I am thinking of cutting down the cocodelmol as it causes constipation and the lactulose syrup by itself doesn't work so resorted to taking dulcolax tab as well. If its not one thing holding you back its another.... LOL not finger pricked as yet. had breakfast and might do it now......will let you know.

Hope you are doing OK. I am on a patients forum and everyone has problems with sleep. They should warn you about this when they arrange the ops......at least you would be aware that this happens.

Because I suffered badly last time, I bought a supply of Movecol sachets for constipation which was recommended by the hospital. Very effective and gentle. Found Lactulose way too much!

Can I ask a couple of questions? I know you had your first TKR 7 years ago. Did that knee ever feel NORMAL? My first knee is only 9.5 months and has never felt normal. Early days, I know, given that it can take one to two years, but I still get really stiff and have those weird sensations running through it. More now, it seems, that I am not being very active.

Secondly, have you been able to walk a decent distance on it without it hurting or aching? Was promised all sorts by my surgeon - skiing/biking - which I am not remotely interested in. Just want to walk out with my family and do sightseeing on holiday. Have you been able to do either comfortably? Sadly, I have my doubts this will ever be possible and am finding it quite depressing.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello Ladies.
I have been watching your posts,Im so glad things are improving for you,I had forgotton what its like.
I had a knee replacement last Feb and a hip replacement in Oct.
Both are great,I dont even think about them,and both feel normal.
Best of luck.

Reactions: 8 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello Ladies.
I have been watching your posts,Im so glad things are improving for you,I had forgotton what its like.
I had a knee replacement last Feb and a hip replacement in Oct.
Both are great,I dont even think about them,and both feel normal.
Best of luck.

No weird sensations or stiffness? Very envious!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
No weird sensations or stiffness? Very envious!
I worked hard on the exercises,I think that helped a lot,I just took paracetamol for six weeks but for one night when the pain was realy bad about 4 days after the opp,and never went to the toilet for 3 days after,had to eat prunes.
The hip was easier than the knee.
Both stiff at first,but not now.

Reactions: 5 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Because I suffered badly last time, I bought a supply of Movecol sachets for constipation which was recommended by the hospital. Very effective and gentle. Found Lactulose way too much!

Can I ask a couple of questions? I know you had your first TKR 7 years ago. Did that knee ever feel NORMAL? My first knee is only 9.5 months and has never felt normal. Early days, I know, given that it can take one to two years, but I still get really stiff and have those weird sensations running through it. More now, it seems, that I am not being very active.

Secondly, have you been able to walk a decent distance on it without it hurting or aching? Was promised all sorts by my surgeon - skiing/biking - which I am not remotely interested in. Just want to walk out with my family and do sightseeing on holiday. Have you been able to do either comfortably? Sadly, I have my doubts this will ever be possible and am finding it quite depressing.
Lynn, My left knee does feel 'normal' It can get stiff in cold weather! I use an exercise bike and have had no problems, also walking was not a problem, in fact when I had my left knee done and was walking normally, my hubby often asked where the fire was....told me to slow down. It does take time and that is the frustrating part, we want it done and finished with back to normal asap.

Reactions: 6 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm happy your doing so much better. Mmm a fish supper sounds amazing , I haven't had chips in ages .
Just wait and see how your readings go in the morning.
Hi Lorraine. Not sure what time you're going into hospital tomorrow, so just wanted to wish you my very best for Tuesday.

Please let us know how it all goes.

Kindest regards. Lynn

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Good your doing well and getting out. I'm going in on the 13th and op on the 14th . I don't think I could have worked much longer if I had to wait .
All the best for your opp Lorraine.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Which 'knee' is it with you ladies or gentlemen ?
Mine is my right knee 'only' - it happens occasionally though .
More on a wet or cold weather climate day .

Any ideas - ?
Been rubbing ibuprofen gel onto it .

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hello girls , it's the 13th of May I go into hospital . It's my right knee this time I had the left one done three years ago.

Reactions: 3 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello girls , it's the 13th of May I go into hospital . It's my right knee this time I had the left one done three years ago.
Finally you have your 'OP' date now .
Bet you are relieved to know this .
How has your left knee been since it was done ?

I have to keep my right knee moving or else .
It locks or ceases up badly .
I do my own knee exercises to keep me going .

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thinking of you lorraine , all the best for a good outcome and speedy recovery, .......have entered you in for the london marathon ::))

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Finally you have your 'OP' date now .
Bet you are relieved to know this .
How has your left knee been since it was done ?

I have to keep my right knee moving or else .
It locks or ceases up badly .
I do my own knee exercises to keep me going .
Hi Anna, my left knee op was just amazing the post op pain was nothing compared to the pain I had pre op . I went back to work full time after ten weeks and I'm on my feet all day. I'm hopeful this right knee will be as successful .

Reactions: 6 people