Replacement Knee

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Yes, nights are by far the worst times. Not sure any pain relief sees you through the night. Went to bed at 9. Disturbed and then in a lot of pain from around 3 until I managed to drift off again. Pain on getting up is pretty horrendous until i get moving.

Let me know what your doctor recommends for night time pain.

One think I've learnt from last time is that this is a LONG recovery.
Hi Lynn,
Managed to speak to a Doc. He is changing the meds to a less stronger one so I can take it with the Ibruprofen and hopefully won't feel dizzy when I have to get up in the night. Doesn't agree with herbal remedies as he doesn't know anything about them...so will manage as I can for another week. Just been speaking to my friend and told her its not just the two of us who are having sleeping problems its all who have this op so that made her feel better. She copes by playing solitaire, suduko and a crossword on her kindle before trying to get to sleep and is restless afterwards. I take my kindle up but only read from it once so might try it again.
We both have the same hobby of dolls house miniatures and will meet up for a club evening on Wednesday so can have a one to one chat then.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Lynn,
Managed to speak to a Doc. He is changing the meds to a less stronger one so I can take it with the Ibruprofen and hopefully won't feel dizzy when I have to get up in the night. Doesn't agree with herbal remedies as he doesn't know anything about them...so will manage as I can for another week. Just been speaking to my friend and told her its not just the two of us who are having sleeping problems its all who have this op so that made her feel better. She copes by playing solitaire, suduko and a crossword on her kindle before trying to get to sleep and is restless afterwards. I take my kindle up but only read from it once so might try it again.
We both have the same hobby of dolls house miniatures and will meet up for a club evening on Wednesday so can have a one to one chat then.
Yes, sleeping pain is universal.

Have just come downstairs after 1.5 hour sleep. Found, like before, I sometimes had the best snoozes on my bed during the day.

Hope your meds suit you better tonight.

Reactions: 2 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Yes, sleeping pain is universal.

Have just come downstairs after 1.5 hour sleep. Found, like before, I sometimes had the best snoozes on my bed during the day.

Hope your meds suit you better tonight.
Hi Lynn, after several phone calls today got my physio appointment for next Tuesday... not much better sleeping but managed 3 x 2 hour sessions...woke at 7.15

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Lynn, after several phone calls today got my physio appointment for next Tuesday... not much better sleeping but managed 3 x 2 hour sessions...woke at 7.15
Good news with physio. Found my lady such a support, if only to confirm I was doing the exercises correctly. I'm booked until 6th May. With this NHS Choose & Book Scheme, your medical care also includes three hyrdo and three gym sessons.

I have just woken up from 'popping upstairs for an hour' at 12.30! Went out like a light for all this time. Now I'm scared about tonight! Probably best to get the sleep when you can.

Reactions: 6 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Good news with physio. Found my lady such a support, if only to confirm I was doing the exercises correctly. I'm booked until 6th May. With this NHS Choose & Book Scheme, your medical care also includes three hyrdo and three gym sessons.

I have just woken up from 'popping upstairs for an hour' at 12.30! Went out like a light for all this time. Now I'm scared about tonight! Probably best to get the sleep when you can.
WOW, good news Lynn. The NHS choose and Book Scheme is that how you had your op done or is it available to anyone....would love to try the hydro
and exercise classes......Managed to get 4 x 2 hour sleeps last night. Woke up and had tabs to take, missed one lot as overslept the time so tabs will be out today as took them after 12.... nevermind just sorted them all out for today. #I found I had an ankle as I woke this morning :), so swelling has gone down and am also managing and walking far better with just one crutch. Cellulitis seems to have settled, can only just see where it was.

Reactions: 4 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Morning. Had a restless night. Don't think that long sleep helped yesterday. This knee pain is something else. And my surgeon has the gaul to tell me 'it's not that bad!'.

Hazel, the Choose and Book Scheme is private work on the NHS. Suspect it is to cut down waiting times. I have used it, through my GP, for both knees and it has worked well and quickly, in both cases. I could not choose my surgeon, but can pick the private hospital and the date (which they kept to and was only a matter of weeks wait).

So few people know about it. Not sure why, but if you need further surgery, God forbid, then speak to your GP.

Not particularly looking forward to today. Boredom has set in. At least one of my daughters and baby son are popping over tomorrow.

Reactions: 6 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Boredom set in yesterday, didn't know what to do with myself...kept walking about the house causing hubby to have fits! but I need the exercise and it strengthens the knee. Managing with one crutch, and even went out last night to visit my dolls house club, my friend was also there who had her knee done 29th Dec... so made everytone laugh at the parked crutches while the project for the evening was done...I brought mine home for another day. This op doesn't help yopu concentrate, I can't even read my kindle for long, I only use the computer when I have to go ustairs so I am finding sitting at the computer a lot easier. Been on FB and Pinterest wasting time this morning but going down now for a cup of coffee.

Slept more easy last night, maybe it was going to bed later and taking the tabs at the correct time instead of judggling them around.
Hope everyone one esle is feeling better.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Boredom set in yesterday, didn't know what to do with myself...kept walking about the house causing hubby to have fits! but I need the exercise and it strengthens the knee. Managing with one crutch, and even went out last night to visit my dolls house club, my friend was also there who had her knee done 29th Dec... so made everytone laugh at the parked crutches while the project for the evening was done...I brought mine home for another day. This op doesn't help yopu concentrate, I can't even read my kindle for long, I only use the computer when I have to go ustairs so I am finding sitting at the computer a lot easier. Been on FB and Pinterest wasting time this morning but going down now for a cup of coffee.

Slept more easy last night, maybe it was going to bed later and taking the tabs at the correct time instead of judggling them around.
Hope everyone one esle is feeling better.
Agree, Hazel, that boredom is becoming an issue. Remember only too well how I lost my concentration last time. Not half so bad this time round. In fact, apart from the inevitable pain, I have handled the whole thing so much better.

Like you, I slept better last night. I think that was due to the fact that I didn't sleep during the day. Plan to do the same today.

My daughter and one of the little ones were here this morning. So envious to hear about their forthcoming visit to Center Parcs. Can't wait til I am up to doing that again. Seems like years since I was truly active.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Agree, Hazel, that boredom is becoming an issue. Remember only too well how I lost my concentration last time. Not half so bad this time round. In fact, apart from the inevitable pain, I have handled the whole thing so much better.

Like you, I slept better last night. I think that was due to the fact that I didn't sleep during the day. Plan to do the same today.

My daughter and one of the little ones were here this morning. So envious to hear about their forthcoming visit to Center Parcs. Can't wait til I am up to doing that again. Seems like years since I was truly active.
Had a poor night last night, I meant to take a cocodemol up with me and forgot, really needed a pain killer but managed somehow to get back to sleep.
Tried an old technique from years ago... deep breathing through nose, then letting breath out through mouth a few times, then saying 'calm' in between the breathing for about three times and I was asleep...... can't remember where I got that info from but it worked then and again last nigh when I needed it
...why couldn't I have remembered it before???

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Had a poor night last night, I meant to take a cocodemol up with me and forgot, really needed a pain killer but managed somehow to get back to sleep.
Tried an old technique from years ago... deep breathing through nose, then letting breath out through mouth a few times, then saying 'calm' in between the breathing for about three times and I was asleep...... can't remember where I got that info from but it worked then and again last nigh when I needed it
...why couldn't I have remembered it before???
Me, too. Was aware of knee pain and constant moving around and when I checked the clock, it was 3am. Sat up and eventually fell back to sleep, but feeling shattered today.

How are your exercises going? Finding the straight leg raises impossibly painful and sliding knee bends on the bed. Sitting on a chair and sliding my foot backwards and forewards seems to be OK and worked well before. Feel my staples are holding me back and they're feeling quite sore. Ready to come out on Monday, I think.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Me, too. Was aware of knee pain and constant moving around and when I checked the clock, it was 3am. Sat up and eventually fell back to sleep, but feeling shattered today.

How are your exercises going? Finding the straight leg raises impossibly painful and sliding knee bends on the bed. Sitting on a chair and sliding my foot backwards and forewards seems to be OK and worked well before. Feel my staples are holding me back and they're feeling quite sore. Ready to come out on Monday, I think.
Yes I find the staples held you back, much easier when taken out. I still find the sliding knee bends hard. I have a tall kitchen chair and I have been sitting on that and letting gravity take my knee down...every little helps! I still keep the crepe bandage one of the physios gave me in hospital, another physio told ne to throw it away but I can't get in and out the car without it. I also used it to help my leg lift so I could get i and out of bed but now am OK with that and the straight leg raises are OK as well. I have also been moving around and standing a lot today.
Added extra:
Really tired at the moment, I think I did far too much walking about the house, got told off a couple of times but felt so restless and sitting with legs up is getting to be a pain. Just tired grumbles now...taken the recommended dose of painkillers ( and got standby for in the night, 4 hours from now) so hopefully they will start working soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I did far too much walking about the house an, exercising, pushing myself so will take it easy today. Feel weary as didn't sleep at all well last night even taking the tabs at 2am, managed naps rather than deep sleep even using all the relaxing methods of breathing I know! Just getting hubby to carry slow cooker so I can add chicken for this weekend. Even lazy cooking! Hope everyone else is doing OK.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I did far too much walking about the house an, exercising, pushing myself so will take it easy today. Feel weary as didn't sleep at all well last night even taking the tabs at 2am, managed naps rather than deep sleep even using all the relaxing methods of breathing I know! Just getting hubby to carry slow cooker so I can add chicken for this weekend. Even lazy cooking! Hope everyone else is doing OK.
Lazy cooking! Perfect.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I had my first physio Tuesday, Went on two crutches told the physio I only used one and got told off! My exercises were Ok, most of the session was about health and problems within the house...none to speak of so it was quite relaxing. Next week will be all exercises and harder. My knee is bending quite well, but seem to be having trouble straightening it, Time will work on this. My friend who had her knee manipulated on Monday has been in dreadful pain, also had a one hours physio session yesterday so didn't talk to her until this morning. She is back to square one ( after 12 weeks) on exercises so we will do these together by daily contact. Hope you are doing well Lynn. BS getting back to nearly normal for me as meds are finishing.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had my first physio Tuesday, Went on two crutches told the physio I only used one and got told off! My exercises were Ok, most of the session was about health and problems within the house...none to speak of so it was quite relaxing. Next week will be all exercises and harder. My knee is bending quite well, but seem to be having trouble straightening it, Time will work on this. My friend who had her knee manipulated on Monday has been in dreadful pain, also had a one hours physio session yesterday so didn't talk to her until this morning. She is back to square one ( after 12 weeks) on exercises so we will do these together by daily contact. Hope you are doing well Lynn. BS getting back to nearly normal for me as meds are finishing.
Hi Hazel,

Nice to hear your news. Sorry about your friend's manipulation. Some surgeons seem keener than others to jump in. Luckily, mine believes in giving it time.

Had my first hydro session on Monday which felt great. So far, the whole experience has been so much better than first time round. Knee is still painful and having loads of weird sensations as nerves and muscles recover, but nothing I can't deal with.

Interesting to hear about your BS levels. Mine seem slightly elevated, but I'm putting that down to Ibuprofen and the pain I do get. Have you heard whether Ibuprofen raises BS? Posted a thread earlier, but no replies so far.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hi Hazel,

Nice to hear your news. Sorry about your friend's manipulation. Some surgeons seem keener than others to jump in. Luckily, mine believes in giving it time.

Had my first hydro session on Monday which felt great. So far, the whole experience has been so much better than first time round. Knee is still painful and having loads of weird sensations as nerves and muscles recover, but nothing I can't deal with.

Interesting to hear about your BS levels. Mine seem slightly elevated, but I'm putting that down to Ibuprofen and the pain I do get. Have you heard whether Ibuprofen raises BS? Posted a thread earlier, but no replies so far.
Nurses said that all medications can alter BS levels and not to worry...so I am not.
I am thinking of getting a memory foam mattress topper. thought this would add to comfort zone! but don't know much about them...been browsing.

Janiept

Expert
Memory foam mattresses are wonderful Hazel. I had a friend who was crippled with arthritis and always in constant pain until he bought a Mf mattress which gave him instant relief........as long as he was laying on it ;).

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Memory foam mattresses are wonderful Hazel. I had a friend who was crippled with arthritis and always in constant pain until he bought a Mf mattress which gave him instant relief........as long as he was laying on it ;).
Thank you Janiept spent quite a lot of the afternoon browsing. Now will have to talk my OH into one.