HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hi Hazel,

Last night was endless. Was in the High Dependency Unit for 24 hours and was disturbed virtually every hour for obs. etc.

Back in my room and have just had my first visit from a physio. Pain has well and truly kicked in. And she's coming back this afternoon. Mustn't complain. Know how vital the exercises are.

This afternoon I am having the drain removed, plus the catheter (once the physio has got me mobile). All good fun.

No ideas for a good night's sleep, I'm afraid. From experience, that only comes with time.

Only in for three nights this time round and looking forward to a visit from hubs again later and my daughter this evening - pain permitting!
Well done Lynn, yes night are horrible, just been discussing this with my friend who had her knee done 29th Dec and she still isn't sleeping. I did a search for natural sleeping remedies and the first one Lavender...well guess what, I have the spray and also a concentrated bottle of Lavender already on my bedside table and I could kick myself for not using this. Just spray the pillow and it does relax you and lets you get to sleep so will be trying this tonight.

Reactions: 2 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done Lynn, yes night are horrible, just been discussing this with my friend who had her knee done 29th Dec and she still isn't sleeping. I did a search for natural sleeping remedies and the first one Lavender...well guess what, I have the spray and also a concentrated bottle of Lavender already on my bedside table and I could kick myself for not using this. Just spray the pillow and it does relax you and lets you get to sleep so will be trying this tonight.
Last night was much better - 6 hours after a heavy dose of something or other!

Just waiting for physio to arrive. Oh, the joy!

All being well, home tomorrow with new zip knee.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Last night was much better - 6 hours after a heavy dose of something or other!

Just waiting for physio to arrive. Oh, the joy!

All being well, home tomorrow with new zip knee.
This morning just before lunch a car went past the window and John said its the Doctor... then it stopped a couple of houses away. He got out ran back to us, said as he was passing he would just check on my leg.... he was satisfied with the stronger antibiotics but also prescribed another 21 days of Apixaban and told to keep the stocking on until the tabs finished. I have to ring him Wed whewn the antibiotics have finished....He is a lovely caring Doc.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
What a lovely Dr you are fortunate,appart from going to have my stitches out I didnt see anyone until an eight week check up.
Glad all is well x

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Used the lavender spray on my pillow last night and I had a comfortable night. No meds and OK slept or had naps for 2 hours but very restful. Cellulitus seems less raw and red this morning so the stronger antibiotics appear to be working.

Reactions: 6 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Uncomfortable morning.....went to Tescos, there were no wheel chairs so John got me a seated chair/ basket....I can decsribe this as a torture chair.

Needed a few items, made a list and had to bail out as so uncomfortable...never ever go in one of these things. Johns took me back to the car and spoke to the manager, even asked her to sit in one...her comments weren't repeatable so she is reporting the incident to HO not that it will do any good but whoever designed the seated chair/basket and the buyer of the seated chair/basket had obviously never sat in one.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Uncomfortable morning.....went to Tescos, there were no wheel chairs so John got me a seated chair/ basket....I can decsribe this as a torture chair.

Needed a few items, made a list and had to bail out as so uncomfortable...never ever go in one of these things. Johns took me back to the car and spoke to the manager, even asked her to sit in one...her comments weren't repeatable so she is reporting the incident to HO not that it will do any good but whoever designed the seated chair/basket and the buyer of the seated chair/basket had obviously never sat in one.
Sounds like agony. Knees are excrutiating at times.

Just had my shower and hoping to leave hospital in an hour or so.

Talk about if you can manage, they let you in here - and it's a private hospital.

As soon as they knew it was my second knee, I was some kind of expert and very much left to cope.

Will be much better at home, for all the assistance I've had.

Last night, bedtime (which was finally around 11.20) was a disaster with incompetent night staff. I had to ask for painkillers, yet again, and also remind her I needed my anticoagulant jab. Felt really unsafe.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Sounds like agony. Knees are excrutiating at times.

Just had my shower and hoping to leave hospital in an hour or so.

Talk about if you can manage, they let you in here - and it's a private hospital.

As soon as they knew it was my second knee, I was some kind of expert and very much left to cope.

Will be much better at home, for all the assistance I've had.

Last night, bedtime (which was finally around 11.20) was a disaster with incompetent night staff. I had to ask for painkillers, yet again, and also remind her I needed my anticoagulant jab. Felt really unsafe.
Lynn, I don't feel as if the nursing staff have much time to spare for anyone they are so run off their feet. Nights still bad at home for me, in fact my hubby asked which vulcano had erupted during the night! pillows I had my leg elevated with soon became strown all over the bed and still woke at hourly then two hour intervals. Longest night so far but probably my own fault went to bed at 8 as was extreemly tired.

Hope you are discharged and get the DN and Doc support and help if you need it.

Reactions: 3 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lynn, I don't feel as if the nursing staff have much time to spare for anyone they are so run off their feet. Nights still bad at home for me, in fact my hubby asked which vulcano had erupted during the night! pillows I had my leg elevated with soon became strown all over the bed and still woke at hourly then two hour intervals. Longest night so far but probably my own fault went to bed at 8 as was extreemly tired.

Hope you are discharged and get the DN and Doc support and help if you need it.
Sorry your night was wakefull.

Came home at 4pm yesterday.

Not a great night. Pain was quite bad. OK during the day because of various distractions.

Can I ask what medication you're taking for knee? As before, I am having paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Doubt if I'll have any DN support. Was never offered last time. My husband took care of everything.

Reactions: 4 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather

Not a great night. Pain was quite bad. OK during the day because of various distractions.

Can I ask what medication you're taking for knee? As before, I am having paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Doubt if I'll have any DN support. Was never offered last time. My husband took care of everything.
Lynn, I too have paracetamol and ibruprofen, but the doc changed it to just Ibruprofen with a another tab to ensure tummy didn't get upset and now have co codemol 2 - 4 x a day so I usually only take 1 x 1 in the evening, 5, 9pm and 2 after midnight. to help sleep. If I need anymore during the night I add those into the next days medification total. I don't really like the co codemol but they work, prescription finishes on Tuesday so I don't want to ask for more. Going to try a hot choc drink...not good with diabeties but anything to help get a restful night.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather

Hope you are doing OK. its the after or post op thats the worst. Take care....

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hope you are doing OK. its the after or post op thats the worst. Take care....
Lynn, I too have paracetamol and ibruprofen, but the doc changed it to just Ibruprofen with a another tab to ensure tummy didn't get upset and now have co codemol 2 - 4 x a day so I usually only take 1 x 1 in the evening, 5, 9pm and 2 after midnight. to help sleep. If I need anymore during the night I add those into the next days medification total. I don't really like the co codemol but they work, prescription finishes on Tuesday so I don't want to ask for more. Going to try a hot choc drink...not good with diabeties but anything to help get a restful night.
I'm also taking Pradaxa, a blood thinner, for eleven days.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I'm also taking Pradaxa, a blood thinner, for eleven days.
I am on Apixaban, doc just added another 10 days because of the cellulitis, which seems to be getting better...all things sent to try us!

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I am on Apixaban, doc just added another 10 days because of the cellulitis, which seems to be getting better...all things sent to try us!
I am thinking of getting some herbal Flower remedie for helping to sleep. Holland and Barrett have one so sending John out tomorrow to see and chat to the shop manager....there does not seem to be anything in them which would raise blood sugar.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am thinking of getting some herbal Flower remedie for helping to sleep. Holland and Barrett have one so sending John out tomorrow to see and chat to the shop manager....there does not seem to be anything in them which would raise blood sugar.
How has your BS been? I haven't tested for a few days.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
How has your BS been? I haven't tested for a few days.
Up and down. highest in the hospital 12.9 then went down..highest so far 9...mornings between 6 and 8.. Nurses told me not to worry, trauma and meds messing BS about.
I have just had a shower and getting ready for bed...I can actually feel myself getting worked up 'cos I know I can't sleep. Did have 45 min nap this afternoon. Did some exercises today and my knee has tightened up so going to give it a rest tomorrow...the swelling is still quite bad. Not had the physio appointment yet.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Up and down. highest in the hospital 12.9 then went down..highest so far 9...mornings between 6 and 8.. Nurses told me not to worry, trauma and meds messing BS about.
I have just had a shower and getting ready for bed...I can actually feel myself getting worked up 'cos I know I can't sleep. Did have 45 min nap this afternoon. Did some exercises today and my knee has tightened up so going to give it a rest tomorrow...the swelling is still quite bad. Not had the physio appointment yet.
Know the feeling of getting het up at bedtime. Quite anxious myself about the pain kicking in.

Glad you napped this afternoon. Me too. Recommended by my physiotherapist. She recommends a proper lie down on the bed to help with swelling.

Had physio in the hospital and am having a couple of hydro sessions as they have a pool at the hospital. Very soothing.

Will be in touch tomorrow.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Know the feeling of getting het up at bedtime. Quite anxious myself about the pain kicking in.

Glad you napped this afternoon. Me too. Recommended by my physiotherapist. She recommends a proper lie down on the bed to help with swelling.

Had physio in the hospital and am having a couple of hydro sessions as they have a pool at the hospital. Very soothing.

Will be in touch tomorrow.
Was going to get John to buy some herbal sleep remedy then he talked me into asking the doc....I only have meds for to-day and half tomorrow but couldn't get an appointment...one Doc short! so Doc will ring me and I can explain..then get the prescription from the chemist hopefully this afternoon.
Had a rough night from 10 - 12.30 then had a cup of hot choc..nmaughty I know but this I feel helped, slept/napped until 3 and again from 3.45 to 5.30 my friend is still in lots of pain and hasn't slept properly since her op 3 months ago so I think I am doing slightly better as not in any pain, but a deep ache and the swelling which seems to have gone down this morning but by tonight will be back again. Grumble, grumble but will get there, just seems impossible at the moment.
The hospital wouldn't let me use the shower until the scar has healed, so I would suppose those hydro sessions would help with swelling and tightness of the knee...lucky you.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Was going to get John to buy some herbal sleep remedy then he talked me into asking the doc....I only have meds for to-day and half tomorrow but couldn't get an appointment...one Doc short! so Doc will ring me and I can explain..then get the prescription from the chemist hopefully this afternoon.
Had a rough night from 10 - 12.30 then had a cup of hot choc..nmaughty I know but this I feel helped, slept/napped until 3 and again from 3.45 to 5.30 my friend is still in lots of pain and hasn't slept properly since her op 3 months ago so I think I am doing slightly better as not in any pain, but a deep ache and the swelling which seems to have gone down this morning but by tonight will be back again. Grumble, grumble but will get there, just seems impossible at the moment.
The hospital wouldn't let me use the shower until the scar has healed, so I would suppose those hydro sessions would help with swelling and tightness of the knee...lucky you.

Yes, nights are by far the worst times. Not sure any pain relief sees you through the night. Went to bed at 9. Disturbed and then in a lot of pain from around 3 until I managed to drift off again. Pain on getting up is pretty horrendous until i get moving.

Let me know what your doctor recommends for night time pain.

One think I've learnt from last time is that this is a LONG recovery.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Yes, nights are by far the worst times. Not sure any pain relief sees you through the night. Went to bed at 9. Disturbed and then in a lot of pain from around 3 until I managed to drift off again. Pain on getting up is pretty horrendous until i get moving.

Let me know what your doctor recommends for night time pain.

One think I've learnt from last time is that this is a LONG recovery.
My very best wishes and hope you get well soon (((((hugs)))))