Research released on carbs causing T2

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thanks for that, Alison - me too!

I've thought that connection must exist for quite a while now. When I first started dieting it was 'avoid carbohydrates' (1960s). Since "they" decided to advise a carbohydrate-based diet I've just ballooned, constant dieting to no effect (except Atkins), and now diabetes!

Can we sue the government for giving us the wrong dietary advice?

Viv :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lot of spin on that one I think, though you need to be able to read the full discussion . At the moment only the abstract is availalble.(it will be available freely in a year)

.http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/co ... 9.abstract

What the researchers did was to continuously infuse methylglyoxal into rats and found they developed T2 type symptoms.

MG is implicated in the formation of AGEs, one of the biggest factors in ageing and the development of chronic diseases like diabetes
It has been known for some years that people with T2 have higher levels of MG, that metformin decreases it and that higher HbA1cs are correlated with higher levels of MG. There is evidence to show that MG is involved in the destruction of beta cells.
So where does MG come from?
MG is produced during the metabolism of carbohydrates.fats and proteins

It is a by product of the metabolism of carbs and particularly fructose (hence the carb spin in the paper as it is the major pathway). There is no doubt that particularly in the US there has been a huge increase in the intake of fructose from processed foods.

Aminoacetone is produced in the metabolisis of protein and this in turn can be converted into MG. The agent resposible for this conversion has been shown to have increased lvels of activity in people with T2 and vascular disease

MG is also a product of acetone production and can be physiologically induced by fasting. Presumably because of this a ketogenic diet has been shown to increase MG,

MG is also produced as the result of the degradation of oils from heating and in the case of olive oil also storage. It is foundd in roasted coffee. It is even produced as a result of chorinating water

Much of this info was found in a recent phd thesis from a student in the same group as the one that produced the paper referred to originally
http://library2.usask.ca/theses/availab ... Thesis.pdf
paper on 'Atkins' and MG
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 3.025/full

Strangely MG is claimed to be the 'active' beneficial ingredient of Mannuka honey. There is also a group of Indian scientists who controversially believe that it may be effective against some cancers.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Nothing is ever as simple as it seems, is it? Thanks, Phoenix - what would we do without your expertise?

Viv :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Quote from link posted by op
"After a two-year investigation, Professors Kaushik Desai and Lily Wu have discovered diets high in carbohydrates are a probably mechanism for the skyrocketing rates of Type 2 diabetes."

Sounds to me like another way of saying that being overweight causes diabetes :evil:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No - because not everyone that eats a high carbohydrate diet puts on weight. My brother lives off cheese on toast, oven chips, and bread-crumbed chicken stuff. The only exercise he gets is playing Darts (if you can call that exercise! :wink: ), and he is stick thin.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
Nothing is ever as simple as it seems, is it? Thanks, Phoenix - what would we do without your expertise?

Viv :)

Quite agree Viv, we can always rely on Phoenix to produce the goods! :)

Nigel