Resistant starches.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What ever you do don't make mistakes when reheating, RICE
Rice naturally contains the spores of a bacterium called bacillus cereus. If you cook rice correctly, then store in a calibrated refrigerator within two hours, you have nothing to fear. The problem comes when cooked rice is kept at an unsafe temperature for a long period of time as this allows the spores to breed. No amount of reheating after that can kill them, and eating the rice can cause diarrhoea and vomiting. Any food cooked and stored improperly can make you sick, but many people don’t know rice is a potential culprit.

Reactions: 8 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If the wife does a Sunday roast. I might try a reheated roastie just to see what it does to my BSLs! Cooked in goose fat of course!
Can you do reheated chip butties?

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What ever you do don't make mistakes when reheating, RICE
Rice naturally contains the spores of a bacterium called bacillus cereus. If you cook rice correctly, then store in a calibrated refrigerator within two hours, you have nothing to fear. The problem comes when cooked rice is kept at an unsafe temperature for a long period of time as this allows the spores to breed. No amount of reheating after that can kill them, and eating the rice can cause diarrhoea and vomiting. Any food cooked and stored improperly can make you sick, but many people don’t know rice is a potential culprit.

I have read that before, but thinking back to the number of chinese takeaways that spent two or three days in the fridge, then a quick blast in the microwave..........
Maybe I was lucky, but I never had a problem.

Then again, it did get me in the end thinking about it.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read that before, but thinking back to the number of chinese takeaways that spent two or three days in the fridge, then a quick blast in the microwave..........
Maybe I was lucky, but I never had a problem.

Then again, it did get me in the end thinking about it.
My daughter told about us this a few months ago.Like you those takeaways were great especially left over currys. ( the amount of rice that is wasted in our house these days is crazy)
I am now going to find out why we should not use microwaves, perhaps not :chicken::chicken::).

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Weren't the people in the BBC programme non-diabetic? Surely they wouldn't have much of a glycemic response from cooked pasta because their pancreases work properly. I should probably watch the programme.

Have any T1s on here had a crack at eating cold/reheated pasta? What was your BG response.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have any T1s on here had a crack at eating cold/reheated pasta? What was your BG response.

I've eaten cold pasta many times (as in Tuna & Pasta salad) but not let it go cold and then reheated it, something I shall have to try.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Weren't the people in the BBC programme non-diabetic? Surely they wouldn't have much of a glycemic response from cooked pasta because their pancreases work properly. I should probably watch the programme.

This is what I thought sam, because blood sugars can fluctuate because of different day to day activities, on going health problems ( good days and the bad days) how are we going to tell, properly, if there is a decrease in BS( I may have a good couple of days and then the painful ones which always has a rise in my BS)
.I have GF pasta, but don't eat a lot of it, I would like to give cold/ reheated pasta a try, maybe over the weekend ? :) best wishes RRB

Reactions: 7 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've eaten cold pasta many times (as in Tuna & Pasta salad) but not let it go cold and then reheated it, something I shall have to try.
Great, you can be my Guniea pig Noblehead! Report on here if and when you do it, I'm very interested in the results!

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great, you can be my Guniea pig Noblehead! Report on here if and when you do it, I'm very interested in the results!

Will do Sam, will have to watch the programme first.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've eaten cold pasta in pasta salads many times, over the years, and am absolutely certain they had a bad effect on my bg.
It was pre BG meter testing, but you can still tell, can't you, if you know your body.
Of course, I have no idea how bad it would have been if the pasta hadn't been resistent starchified by getting cold.

And as for things like bread and crumpets and bagels being better frozen and reheated... well that has already been done.
The flour was raw, baked in an oven, allowed to cool, and then toasted (OK, not the case if you don't toast your bread, but you get my drift).
I suppose you could test to see if a normal slice of bread had more spike than a toasted one. But you'd have to eat it without butter or jam or similar.

I like the theory, but I'm not expecting it to be anything more than a small improvement.
And a small improvement on a big spike isn't going to do it for me.

My eating certainly won't be affected by this revelation!

Reactions: 8 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are several types of resistant starch some naturally occurring particularly in foods like pulses, some that some formed as in retrograding (ie cooled ) and some produced by industry using chemicals.
An intro:
http://authoritynutrition.com/resistant-starch-101/

This blogger has assembled a lot of info on resistant starch with several comments from n=1 experiments. He is into supplementing with resistant starch though some talk about using retrograding ie cooking and cooling.
(warning though his blogs on RS usually fine . I dislike this bloggers language and views in other posts and suspect others may feel likewise)
Potato salad results by someone who calls himself type 2 but also has LADA so insulin/resistant and insulin deficient Many links at bottom to other trials and to research (though you can get a bit lost following them)
http://freetheanimal.com/2013/09/a-...ds-amazing-results-with-resistant-starch.html

Personally, I've always made use of things known to lower GI and that includes foods with a lot of fibre of all sorts. So yes, I quite often eat potato salad with a vinaigrette and foods like beans/lentils that have a lot of natural resistant starch.. I haven't tried to use resistant starch in supplement form since I'd rather get my fibre from natural sources.
edit grammar

Last edited by a moderator:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just watched the programme. The results of simply cooling the pasta are not significantly different to non-cooked pasta. The difference in BG was of the order 0.1 mmol/l, probably near the sensitivity of the BG meter.

The results of cooked and reheated pasta were, superficially, significant, however. The difference was between 0.5 and 1mmol/l. That is, however, with people with fully functioning pancreases pumping insulin out. The increase in BG was half that of cooked pasta.

I guess the only way to find out is to try it yourself, but don't expect to have a massive bowl of pasta for free. Perhaps best to try with wholemeal pasta that has a bigger GI and a small quantity of around 30 - 50g dried weight

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
I'd like just to be able to throw handful cold pasta in my salad for days out

Last edited by a moderator:

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just watched the programme. The results of simply cooling the pasta are not significantly different to non-cooked pasta. The difference in BG was of the order 0.1 mmol/l, probably near the sensitivity of the BG meter.

The results of cooked and reheated pasta were, superficially, significant, however. The difference was between 0.5 and 1mmol/l. That is, however, with people with fully functioning pancreases pumping insulin out. The increase in BG was half that of cooked pasta.

I guess the only way to find out is to try it yourself, but don't expect to have a massive bowl of pasta for free. Perhaps best to try with wholemeal pasta that has a bigger GI and a small quantity of around 30 - 50g dried weight

I tried it out last night, with 50g (dried weight) of wholemeal penne, cooked, cooled and then re-heated and eaten with some boeuf bourgignon and green beans. 6.1 pre dinner, 5.8 after 2 hours. Not a very scientific exercise, since I also had a glass of red wine with the meal, which I guess may have had a bearing on the end result.

Nevertheless, it was encouraging enough to convince me to repeat the experiment, perhaps mid week some time when I don't drink wine (it's a treat I save for the weekend).

Even if it only has a limited effect, it looks as if I may have found a way of bringing a bit of pasta back into my life..... :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried it out last night, with 50g (dried weight) of wholemeal penne, cooked, cooled and then re-heated and eaten with some boeuf bourgignon and green beans. 6.1 pre dinner, 5.8 after 2 hours. Not a very scientific exercise, since I also had a glass of red wine with the meal, which I guess may have had a bearing on the end result.

Nevertheless, it was encouraging enough to convince me to repeat the experiment, perhaps mid week some time when I don't drink wine (it's a treat I save for the weekend).

Even if it only has a limited effect, it looks as if I may have found a way of bringing a bit of pasta back into my life..... :)

I would also urge you to test for a bit longer than the 2 hours, bearing in mind how some people react to it

Good luck, and let us know!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Sounds very encouraging. I'm going to have a go this week. The convenience and stodge of pasta is definitely something I've missed. :)

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would also urge you to test for a bit longer than the 2 hours, bearing in mind how some people react to it

Good luck, and let us know!

As it happens, I tested again before I went to bed (therefore a couple of hours after the 2 hr post-meal one) - 6.3. About 7.5 this morning but I still get morning liver dumps, though not as noticeable as they were 3 months ago, and that's not out of line with my usual waking reading.

sinbad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Well, I had the usual two ryvita this morning, with 1/2 fat cheese and ham, about two hours ago. Had to go out, and, being a pig this morning, finished off half a pot of potato salad, with a cup of coffee, when I came back an hour ago. (about 150g)

Just tested - 5.8!

Some more experiments on resistant starch to follow I think.
I am not being derogatory but I often wonder if people on here have type 2 diabetes 2 ryvitas and a potato salad and a hba1c of 6 and you returned a reading of 5.8 if I had that small meal my bloods would have been in double figures

sinbad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
4.6 pre meal

5.8 after 30 minutes

5.7 after 60 minutes

5.5 after 2 hours.

So a resounding success

I may up the ante, as it wasn't a huge amount of potato.
I also put a couple of baked potatoes in, which are now in the fridge.

I may try one of those re-heated tomorrow.
With those sort of readings I say you do not have diabetes these reading are the readings of a none diabetic