Resistive starch - I ate a Banana and lived - What are your experiences?

Geoffno6

I’ve avoided Bananas like the plague since DX in June, I tried ripe ones back then and they really spiked my BG. Today i tested at 9am and got a reading of 9.6, I’m always high in the morning. After egg n bacon at 9, at 10.15 I ate a yellow, nearly ripe (tasty and sweet but firm) Banana. It was divine. I then walked about 3 miles and less than 2 hours later was still at 8 and 3 hours later and 3 more miles was down to 6.6.
What experiences have you had with resistive starch?
My next experiment will be not fully cooked potatoes.
BTW this is all in an effort to try and put weight on.

Reactions: nomoredonuts

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I plan on 3 roast potatoes on Christmas Day. I will let you know how I get on :)

Reactions: Geoffno6

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I regularly have a very small roast potato with Sunday lunch. Cooking, freezing and recooking them is supposed to make them into a resistant starch. Seems to work for me, I just get Aunt Bessie to cook and freeze them for me! ;)

D

Deleted member 308541

Fifty cents a kilo bananas are off my shopping list permanently.

I eat Spud Lite potatoes and I reheat them next day them after cooking them.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly have a very small roast potato with Sunday lunch. Cooking, freezing and recooking them is supposed to make them into a resistant starch. Seems to work for me, I just get Aunt Bessie to cook and freeze them for me! ;)
I remember about 13 or 14 yrs ago when I was a long distance lorry driver parking up for the night in Aunt Bessies' (Jacksons) factory in Hull. I went for wander to find a chippie, I can quite honestly say that I have never felt so unsafe in any other town/city as I did there.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
if my levels drop I eat a banana I used to love a banana sandwich but now have with out the bread, I have potatoes every day with my mail meal not a lot just a couple small ones

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember about 13 or 14 yrs ago when I was a long distance lorry driver parking up for the night in Aunt Bessies' (Jacksons) factory in Hull. I went for wander to find a chippie, I can quite honestly say that I have never felt so unsafe in any other town/city as I did there.
That’s ruined the image in my head of a little old lady roasting potatoes in her country kitchen aga!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Next time I shop, I am going to order some king Edward's and beef dripping. Load the freezer and do some serious experimenting!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the title of this! Who'd have thought a banana could be so scary. The other night I decided to have fish & chips from the chippy (I blame my husband, he grabbed some on the way back from work). I tested before (5.4), took double amounts of insulin (4 units), tested 2 hours afterwards and it was 11!!!!! I could not believe it, I have never seen a reading anywhere near that since diagnosis. I felt off all through the night, got up at 3am, tested again, still at 9. Ended up using more insulin to correct and had higher numbers for the next two days. All because of some pretty grotty fish and chips. NEVER again. It's strange, every so often you think well, I'll risk it hoping for a better outcome, erm no.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d think it was the 6 miles of walking as your dawn phenomenon wore off that counteracted the banana rather than the banana being fine. See what happens if you eat it in the afternoon without the walking , my money is on a much worse outcome bgl wise

Also not sure how it’ll help you gain weight if you burn it straight off. I guess at least it’s not body fat your burning this way maybe.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve avoided Bananas like the plague since DX in June, I tried ripe ones back then and they really spiked my BG. Today i tested at 9am and got a reading of 9.6, I’m always high in the morning. After egg n bacon at 9, at 10.15 I ate a yellow, nearly ripe (tasty and sweet but firm) Banana. It was divine. I then walked about 3 miles and less than 2 hours later was still at 8 and 3 hours later and 3 more miles was down to 6.6.
What experiences have you had with resistive starch?
My next experiment will be not fully cooked potatoes.
BTW this is all in an effort to try and put weight on.

I have a semi green banana every day first thing. (the greener the higher in RS)
Followed by overnight oats 3 to 4 hrs later.
Both are high in RS.
As the diet I follow is high in RS at around 30 grams or more they no longer spike me very much.

But this could be a different story for others on a different diet plan.
Would be best using your meter to find out how much the banana spikes you.
As HSSS said earlier it could be the 6 mile walk that helped bring the BG down.

Freezing rice or pasta and then reheating raises the RS same as potato.

BBC program Trust me I'm a Doctor done a study on RS and reheating pasta article below..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...leftovers-be-healthier-than-the-original-meal

Geoffno6

I’d think it was the 6 miles of walking as your dawn phenomenon wore off that counteracted the banana rather than the banana being fine. See what happens if you eat it in the afternoon without the walking , my money is on a much worse outcome bgl wise

Also not sure how it’ll help you gain weight if you burn it straight off. I guess at least it’s not body fat your burning this way maybe.

Thanks for the feedback. It is a dilemma that I’m trying to rebuild muscle and stamina so need the exercise, the exercise is also good for my BG levels, but of course I’m burning the calories.

Sadly today I had the banana and then only walked 3 miles and I’ve been on 10.2 and 10 two and 4 hours after eating
The egg n bacon without the banana and cream then a 3 mile walk would’ve put me at 7 or 8 by now.

Geoffno6

I have a semi green banana every day first thing. (the greener the higher in RS)
Followed by overnight oats 3 to 4 hrs later.
Both are high in RS.
As the diet I follow is high in RS at around 30 grams or more they no longer spike me very much.

But this could be a different story for others on a different diet plan.
Would be best using your meter to find out how much the banana spikes you.
As HSSS said earlier it could be the 6 mile walk that helped bring the BG down.

Freezing rice or pasta and then reheating raises the RS same as potato.

BBC program Trust me I'm a Doctor done a study on RS and reheating pasta article below..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...leftovers-be-healthier-than-the-original-meal

Cheers Tom, see my message above, all my liver/pancreas/blood saw was 30g of carbs and punished me accordingly :-(

Geoffno6

I love the title of this! Who'd have thought a banana could be so scary. The other night I decided to have fish & chips from the chippy (I blame my husband, he grabbed some on the way back from work). I tested before (5.4), took double amounts of insulin (4 units), tested 2 hours afterwards and it was 11!!!!! I could not believe it, I have never seen a reading anywhere near that since diagnosis. I felt off all through the night, got up at 3am, tested again, still at 9. Ended up using more insulin to correct and had higher numbers for the next two days. All because of some pretty grotty fish and chips. NEVER again. It's strange, every so often you think well, I'll risk it hoping for a better outcome, erm no.

Well we both lived, but the banana almost took my life today and you’re lucky to be here after Chipgate!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DO you eat enough fats? An alternative way to up calories without upping carbs.
Some men of an age lose muscle and therefore weight and stamina due to low testosterone levels if you had these before and lost them it’s a thought. If you seek what you never had then maybe not.

Geoffno6

Well after several hours in the 10s a 3 mile walk with some jogging at 3pm, 1 hour after an egg salad got me down to 7.7 where I’ve stayed since