1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Result

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by BrianTheElder, Jan 11, 2017.

1. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have just come back from the doctor's feeling very happy. He says I no longer have any diabetic symptoms, so I am off medication altogether and under diet control only!
    I am also off statins altogether as well, he said with my latest lipids there is no longer any reason I need to take them.
    I was expecting some resistance when I went, but the doc seemed well aware that carbs are the main problem and wasn't at all sticking to NICE guidelines. It was very refreshing and I really think the log-jam is moving.
    It's all down to LCHF by the way! But I am well aware that I need to stick to it so I don't become diabetic again.

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  2. mx5jax

mx5jax Type 2 · Member

Congratulations. How long has it taken to get this incredible result?

• Like Like x 1
  3. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I started on LCHF (20g carbs) in July 2016. It makes it so much easier when your body responds in the predicted way and you get so much support from this website. I am also keenly interested in the science behind all this, so I intend to keep it up and spread the word!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Amazing very well done indeed...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. mx5jax

mx5jax Type 2 · Member

Wow that's great. I I've lost 42lbs since March 16 and now just take metformin. Hoping to reduce that in March...is really does work and the medics are just starting to understand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Peppergirl

Peppergirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Great news, interesting that your doc was fine with LCHF when the results speak for themselves. Had a very similar experience recently with the DSN recommending I eat a slice of bread to "help" me carb count, when I told her I was low carbing and had great results (showed her the libre graphs). I ignored it and carried on and my Hba1C now dropped from 49 to 44. Went back a second time (trying to get a pump) and nothing was said about my low carbing, just amazement that my BGs are really good, no spikes. Brilliant that you're off the meds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MartinK9

MartinK9 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great results, congratulations on all your hard work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Great results on both bs and cholesterol levels @BrianTheElder, well done! :)
    It's always good to hear success stories, so thanks for posting. Let's hope that diabetes can be controlled is getting through to HCPs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Doriand

Doriand Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good on you, BTE! Your doctor seems to be one in a million with most of them keeping you on statins till you drop! My goal in life is to get off ALL medications, but I'll be happy if I don't have to inject insulin three times a day even if I still have to take Metformin. And like you, I strongly believe that LCHF is the only way to go ... Good luck with your future, sir!

10. Bellatom

Bellatom Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

You have brought hope to us all
    Congratulations

11. Nicksu

Nicksu Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Very well done - its the ambition of all of us - to be able to get off the meds (40mg Gliglizade twice daily). Hoping to do this when I next have my review. Going to see the dietician this week - we shall see if they try and tell me to use the NICE guidelines - at which I will say, I'll stay low carbing thank you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook