Results advice please

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, I know this is a question for a doctor and its unreasonable to ask but I'd be REALLY grateful if anyone (in there opinion of course) would be able to shed any light on some results I got today please?

Here goes

urine albumin: creatinine ratio = 1.6 g/mol
Urine albumin = 33.7 mg/L High
GFR calculated abbreviated MDRD > 60 / mL
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio = 4.3 ratio
Haemoglobin A1c level-IFCC standardised 41mmol/mol
Serum urea level 7.9 mmol/L
Serum triglycerides = 0.9 mmol/L
Serum sodium = 140 mmol/L
Serum potassium = 4.2 mmol/L
Calculated LDL cholesterol level = 3.6 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level 1.2 mmol/L
Serum creatinine = 86 Umol/L
Serum cholesterol = 5.2 mmol/L high
Serum chloride = 101 mmol/L
Serum total bilirubin level = 25 umol/L
Serum alanine amino transferase level = 21 U/L
Serum alkaline phosphatase = 67 U/L Serum albumin = 50 g/L

I'd like to know because I have stopped a couple of medication without the docs approval and I'd like an idea before I see hike on the 5th of the backlash I'm in for ie. statins and bp meds
In feb my hba1c was 106
Triglycerides 2.6
HDL ratio 6.3
HDL cholesterol level 0.9
Calculated LDL 0.9

I can't remember which out of HDL LDL is good or bad or what the hba1c 41 is

Any clues would be great
Many thanks
Andy

Reactions: 2 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Good god, how do you get your results? I'm only ever told my hba1c and on occasion cholesterol! Mind you I wouldn't know what that would all mean!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
The misses reckons that shows some sort of kidney problem caused by me pushing myself too much with the exercise, what do you think?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I ask the receptionist and she prints them for me

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Sorry I have no idea! Oh I see, I didn't know you could them sort of results!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
that is hugely helpful thankyou so much, i am deeply torn if or not to restart the statins, ive been desperatly researching the results trying to make sense of them, im seeing the doc on the 5th and i will be asking hes advice but he dosent have enough time and i know i wont be able to take in what he says, i tend to get out my first question then that takes up my appointment so im hoping to understand as much as possible so i can ask the most important stuff, my worry is he would want me to take as much medication as possible and id like to take as little as possible, its tough :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Statins are a major cause of controversy, and they seem to cause more than they cure. They can in fact cause diabetes, check out Dr Briffa for research on statins and the effect.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thankyou, hearing stuff like this is why i stopped them, but im scared i was wrong to do so, its so hard to go against medical advice but i went against it with the carbs and that seems to have worked out with the a1c but now im worried that the low carbing has caused the high albumin readings which seems as per the research that it may be causing these reading or it could be diabetes caused kidney nuropathy, its all very confusing

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I agree that your cholesterol is good and your trigs are at a nice level,your kidney test results are better than mine,my eGFR level was in the low 40's at one stage although it's improved recently,can't help with the rest except well done on the reduction in hbA1c! :thumbup:

Best wishes

Paul*

*I'm offended you think Paul is a boring name...tut tut tut :lol:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
when i researched the readings it seems i should cut out protein like chicken and eggs, ive been trying to eat chicken as much as possible and eggs are important in helping me low carb so now im stumped

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
paul-1976 said:
I agree that your cholesterol is good and your trigs are at a nice level,your kidney test results are better than mine,my eGFR level was in the low 40's at one stage although it's improved recently,can't help with the rest except well done on the reduction in hbA1c! :thumbup:

Best wishes

Paul*

*I'm offended you think Paul is a boring name...tut tut tut :lol:

lol no offense i kinda like the name it just didnt seem very fun for that thread :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Thanks, I wasn't worried about protein until I got the high result in the albumin which after looking it up suggest kidneys aren't quite right and that I think there is protein not being dealt with properly, from what I can gather and bearing in mind im not a great reader researcher or general thinker lol the results are a sign either of eating too much protein doing too much extreme exercise or kidney retinopathy (or something like that) ive looked back at myfitnesspal and on average my ratios are 15% carb 25% protein 60% fat and im eating about 1200 calories daily give or take, if I don't eat carbs and reduce protein wont I be eating only fat?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the worse thing is it has taken 6 months to finally convince the wife low carbing is good and now she is saying that I need to introduce carbs again aaaarrrrggghhhh

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my most recent blood test results that show acceptable ranges, so I'll compare your figures with what I have from the lab print out.

GFR calculated abbreviated MDRD > 60 / mL
Low, ideally should be >90

Serum urea level 7.9 mmol/L
High, should be 3.30–6.70

Serum sodium = 140 mmol/L
OK, should be 135–140

Serum potassium = 4.2 mmol/L
OK, should be 3.5-5.0

Serum creatinine = 86 Umol/L
OK, should be 45–120

Serum chloride = 101 mmol/L
Don't have a range for this

Serum total bilirubin level = 25 umol/L
High, should be 3.0-20.0

Serum alanine amino transferase level = 21 U/L
Don't have a range for this

Serum alkaline phosphatase = 67 U/L
OK, should be 30-130

Serum albumin = 50 g/L
At top end of normal, 35-50

I won't go through the cholesterol etc, or Hba1c because you're probably familiar with those figured anyway.

If your doctor hasn't called you in to discuss the results, you ought to make an appointment so that you understand what these results might indicate and take it from there.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Wow! THANKYOU!!!!!!

im blown away you took all that trouble

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the gfr suggests stage 2 borderline stage 3 ckd why would the doc not have called me :(