Results advice please

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think they can diagnose on just one blood test result. You need to make an appointment ASAP, though. It's always at the weekend when you can't do much about it… :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thankyou, I just looked back and it was the same gfr in February, isn't that weird? that they didn't mention it>?

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Andy12345, first of all please calm down. I'm sure that when your GP saw your blood results he would have ordered a repeat test if he was worried. The GFR is a little low at 60 but this can be due to many reasons; current medications, high blood pressure, being overweight increased mass, recent infections and of course glucose being excreted by the kidneys. A high protein diet has been proven NOT to cause renal damage. It is however advised to eat lower protein when there is already renal damage present in order to halt the decline of renal disease. I personally feel that eating a low carb diet is the way to control blood glucose levels and therefore avoid nephropathy. The way to get all of these diabetic complications is by eating the dreaded carbs, so please don't go back.
The only way around this is to make an appointment to see a GP and ask him to explain all of the results and write it all down so that next time you will know yourself. I get a print-out of all my blood results and keep them so I can see how I'm doing, regards, Deb

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thankyou im currently reading through the nice website stuff about it, i am i have to admit gutted and cant help feeling bad about this, ive tried so hard to be well and in the most part suceeded and now this, im looking at the kids and wondering if im going to be around for them, the doctor at diagnosis told me i would have major organ failure within 5 years but i thought he meant my heart and that i could change it but now im thinking he meant this, im mostly confused he never mentioned it, thankyou very much for your advice im going to try and get appt monday even if it means staging a sit in at the surgery

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im not overweight and my bp is 107/65.... altho i was overweight and my bp was 250/125 when diagnosed in feb

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I'm worried too now you've mentioned stage 2-3 CKD..My eGFR is below 60 still despite improving and my HCP's haven't told me much either..I'd rather know the truth to be honest although I feel fine physically now..perhaps the numbers don't mean all that much hopefully..best to you..Paul

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oh no, sorry :( wasnt my intension to worry anyone else :(

so far today ive insulted your name and made you worry about your kidneys

making peoples day is my specialty :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
All I can say is this forum is awesome ! Andy, hope you are well mate. As for me, if the docs don't call me back, I'm cool !

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Andy12345 said:
... i am deeply torn if or not to restart the statins,

I gave up my statins without telling the doc or db nurse. When I went to the nurse much later for the results of a blood test I told her what I'd done. My levels were all coming down by then because of the weight loss. She had a chat with the doc and they agreed I didn't need to take them, but they would keep an eye on me. When I went to the db nurse last year she took me off all my db meds. I asked about the statins. She said that I would only need the statins if I was still diabetic (?), so it was ok for me to stay off 'em. Suits me. I would need a VERY strong reason to restart statins, I had even refused to up the dose from 20 to 40 when the govt. decided we should all be doped up to the eyeballs so we didn't cause so much trouble.
8 meds down, 2 to go.
I'm a good girl I am. Eliza Doolitle. (Boy actually)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Andy12345 said:
its improving did you say? how and why is it improving out of interest please?

It's improved I was told but apart from vastly improving my HbA1c I really don't know how or why tbh but I was led to believe that below 60 was ok..Don't worry about stressing me out..you've done me a favour in fact in that I'm going to ask some questions at my next appointment..best wishes to you Andy!

Lilliepop

The lower your eGFR is the better I have had a kidney transplant and mine with one kidney is 35 I really worry if it goes lower than that 40 is pretty good and 60 is excellent .

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im worried sick about it, ive been reading about it and ive read the lower it is the worse it is? and is it good to have the 86 for real?

Lilliepop

No you are fine. They try to keep mine as low as possible mine is between 118-125 wish mine was 86. And as I say eGF is very good no worry. That is higher the better.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thankyou...

Stage 2: mildly reduced kidney function AND you are already known to have some kidney damage or disease. People with an eGFR of 60-89 without any known kidney damage or disease are not considered to have chronic kidney disease (CKD). 60 to 89
Stage 3: moderately reduced kidney function. (With or without a known kidney disease. For example, an elderly person with ageing kidneys may have reduced kidney function without a specific known kidney disease.)

thats copied from that link..... what worries me is im 43 not exactly elderly and i think the urine albumin etc in my results has something to do with it, how would i know if i have kidney damage? would there be a scan or different blood test to determine that? also i never in my life had any sort of infection or symptom of anykind, also i could well of had diabetes a long time as i was thirsty etc forever before the wife made me check my bloods at 25 would that be high enough to damage the kidneys do you think? sorry a muddle of questions, im really worried