Retune you're freeview folks!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it's off topic but still important and I'm sharing this wherever possible.
You may lose Freeview channels from today and must carry out a retune of your Freeview equipment, couple of reasons including some BBC channel switching and 4G communications potentially causing a loss of signal for some people.
Any problems just ask.
Mods, feel free to delete this thread if you feel it appropriate to do so.:)

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Thanks for the alert.

Doug

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
If you are in a UHF transmission region that requires a retune to keep the stored programmes, then you will be told so by an on-screen message. Otherwise there is absolutely nothing to gain by performing a retune.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What about adding new channels?
Or considering BBC HD has now been replaced by BBC2 HD.
4G services are behind all this, some poor people will lose some if not all of their reception due to the somewhat continued drop in bandwidth availability.
The 4G auction was a farce that lined the government's pockets. BUT HEY ITS SUPERFAST 4G AND I'M KEVIN BACON.:lol:
Not all transmitters and the televisions which receive them will prompt you with a retune banner for more than 30 seconds so if you're visually impaired for example then what?
If anything a retune is prudent.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Which "at800" mobile masts might stop my Freeview working?

Again, you will be notified by an on-screen display if you need to retune ...a little learning is dangerous
The last thing we need on this diabetes site is someone scaremongering!

http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107052083

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Scaremongering is a little strong.

Freeview do say: "To get the most up to date service from Freeview it is important to retune from time to time."

Roy. :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
izzzi said:
Scaremongering is a little strong.

Freeview do say: "To get the most up to date service from Freeview it is important to return from time to time."

Well I'm sorry to learn you think so! I've already had several PM's from other members not sure what its all about and some even worried they might loose their picture before they can get a son, daughter or friend to call and perform a retune.
Not everyone is up to date with the latest DVB technology and some (probably house bound) have enough problems trying to used their computers for support sites such as this.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This all seems like an over reaction to someone trying to be helpful and give us a heads up!

Definitely Wouldnt go as far as scaremongering.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The national press and other media have all been banging on about this, If any "scaremongering" has happened, then they themselves have already done far more than I could ever do.
Its a TV retune.
Not a life support machine.:smile:
Feel free to happily direct anyone concerned to PM me if it will make life easier.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to say I haven't heard of it. But I have sky so it's possible I just wasn't paying attention!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sky of course updates itself, so nothing to worry about there, or Freesat either:smile:

mbudzi

err... one of those who are bad at technology here .... last time I retuned the freeview box, I lost a few channels and some are scrambled beyond watching. Was this me, or just luck of the draw as they re-arrange things (channels lost ITV2, Film4 very scrambled)

Be good to have a heads up on whether this is "normal"/likely or something I did wrong.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hobs said:
Which "at800" mobile masts might stop my Freeview working?

Again, you will be notified by an on-screen display if you need to retune ...a little learning is dangerous
The last thing we need on this diabetes site is someone scaremongering!

http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107052083

Just had a look at the map and it appears that it is "just" Scotland, Wales the West Country and the North of England that is affected so not a problem for those of us that live in the civilised South of England and the Home Counties :wink:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Check your signal strength, or moreover you're signal quality.
This is often shown as a percentage from 1 to 100 for both of these, found either in the setup menu, or (annoyingly) on some tv's the channel info itself.
The good news is if these are both reasonable then it was luck of the draw and another full retune often sorts it out.
The " banner" to prompt the retune hobs mentioned has appeared on mine from the winter hill transmitter 5 times now, hence with no change appearing to be evident since the first time I did it, it's somewhat flaky and perhaps misleading.

Sidbonkers can go and get his saveloy now:shock:, mines chips half peawet top n bottom...it's grim up north:lol:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers,is just a Sassenach that may have great wisdom, yet how can he be Civilised if the rough area where he prisoned is practically in France.

Just looking for a heated discussion.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
mbudzi said:
err... one of those who are bad at technology here .... last time I returned the freeview box, I lost a few channels and some are scrambled beyond watching. Was this me, or just luck of the draw as they re-arrange things (channels lost ITV2, Film4 very scrambled)

Be good to have a heads up on whether this is "normal"/likely or something I did wrong.

It it a relatively old set-top-box? Some of the older models from the lower end market are a tad skittish and often benefit from low atmospheric pressure and need a top end aerial & downlead to achieve a good scan. I have no preference for brand, but in my experience, the higher priced models do achieve a better scan and are less influenced by air pressure.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
izzzi said:
Sid Bonkers,is just a Sassenach that may have great wisdom, yet how can he be Civilised if the rough area where he prisoned is practically in France.

You do have a valid point izzzi especially now that they seem to be running many of our services from transport to garbage collection :lol:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
izzzi said:

You do have a valid point izzzi especially now that they seem to be running many of our services from transport to garbage collection :lol:

No valid point. I lived in Eastbourne for many years and worked in Bromley.God only knows why I move up north (company move), mind you a lot of people would not call northants north.

"OK" sour grapes I miss the sunshine and many great friends.

Roy, :)
woops my slight dyslexia read "you do" as "do you" The times I drop myself in it. :oops: