1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reversing T2 Diabetes diet (Prof Taylor Newcastle)

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by kingsman, Jun 24, 2017.

1. StevePayne

StevePayne Prediabetes · Member

Did (still doing) the BSD and 5:2 fasting after I was told I was pre-diabetic. Lost 25lb and blood sugar dropped to right in the middle of the normal band. A couple of my pals do yo-yo dieting - can't convince them that it's not a diet, but rather a change in lifestyle. Another couple of chaps I know are pre-diabetic, one is about to have a go at the BSD, and possibly 5:2, the other simply can't face the "restrictions" that it would entail so will stick to the tablets

This forum has helped me tremendously......

• Like Like x 5
  2. RonnieMcDonald

RonnieMcDonald Type 2 · Newbie

Hi, I have been on the Eight Week Blood Sugar Diet now for 3 weeks and the results are staggering! I have never had such BG control and as a bonus my BP and pulse rate are normal too.
    Downside? Going to have to spend a fortune on new clothes!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just replacing bread/cereal etc at breakfast with egg, bacon, kippers etc will make a big difference, we have to be careful not to put people off making worthwhile changes by presenting the "ideal option" to them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lawrence21360

lawrence21360 · Newbie

what is lchf

5. OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Lchf stands for low carb high fat. It means different things to different people but for I found that on the advise from this forum and other research cutting out carbs is great for blood sugars. The high fat side of things means pretty much to ignore the standard advise about going for low fat options. It's well worth doing the research for yourself if you have time. And of course testing your own blood sugars as then you know for certain which foods suit you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TrevA

TrevA Type 2 · Member

Reviving an old thread.

I’ve just started the Newcastle Diet using 3 shakes a day and having an evening meal of salad and some protein - either chicken or fish. I’ve lost 7 lbs in 4 days so it certainly seems to be working. I tend to eat low carb anyway but have not had much success in weight loss - too many nuts and other low carb treats I think.

My recent blood test revealed that I am showing signs of fatty liver disease, so time to make a serious effort at losing the weight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hello, @TrevA
    Great that you have taken steps to lose weight and sort your fatty liver. I do have faith in ND methodology, with the caveat: do your research! Plan your future.

Has anyone told you that on very low calorie diet you need to make sure you have some oil with your veg? Important as very low calorie, particularly if low fat too, diet can cause formation or growth of gallstones.
    Just a teaspoon or two of oil or other fat each day is all you need to prevent the gallstone growth.

Also, after you complete the restricted calorie phase, ensure you have a follow on eating plan. Gradually reintroduce foods, Keep low carb, include fats, and carry on testing and monitoring blood glucose levels so you will know how what you are eating affects these.

Best of luck, keep posting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'd done low calories and low fat diets before to lose weight - and lost lots of weight but always put it back on plus more. Doing low fat for months resulted in gallstones and I finally had to have my gallbladder removed.
    When I was diagnosed as diabetic last year I went low carb instead - something I'd always struggled with in the past but the fear of eye issues got me on track (I already have limited vision in one eye so losing any from the other is a big concern).
    I was lucky that I was diagnosed early and low carb was very successful without doing keto. I've been within the normal range from shortly after diagnosis and although I still struggle some days I've never had more than an extra 25g of carbs.
    I try to preplan for the stress days, with low carb icecream and 'no added sugar' chocolate - and sometimes make the low carb desserts from the programme, storing portions in the freezer.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Well done, @TriciaWs . I hear of so many people who think that a weight loss regime is a short term fix. Then they have that awful, demoralising weight regain, plus more, when they return to previous ways of eating. What is needed is a sustainable eating plan for life.
    I did so very well with the very low calorie diet, but my error was returning to the NHS recommended diet following weight loss. I wish I had found out about low carb sooner.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Perro

Perro Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just started ND diet yesterday.
    My goal is T2 remission. I have lost 25 kg earlier, but still my BMI is stuck between 24 - 25. I've got to get it down more since I'm still fighting nerve damage and other nasty effects of my condition.. Wish me luck.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Guna108

Guna108 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

25kg is really impressive. Well done. Good luck with getting your BMI to where you want it. I have done a month of a Newcastle type diet-2 months to go!

• Like Like x 1
  12. TrevA

TrevA Type 2 · Member

2 and a half weeks in and I’ve lost over a stone now. I hit a bit of a plateau last week but seem to be losing again now. I have 3 shakes a day and usually a salad in the evening, with a bit of mayo on it, so I am getting some oil via the mayo. I sometimes have poached egg on buttered toast - not strictly allowed but seem to be doing ok on it. Try to keep my calories between 800 and 1000 calories a day. I drink plenty of water but have the occasional cup of tea or coffee, with milk. Again, not strictly allowed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook